11-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Correct !!!

Golly
11-18-2007, 05:31 PM
yeah , it's Ok if you like that late model stuff

Golly ( 1930 Model A owner)

Alfster
11-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Nice car. Well built and detailed. But sorry we have seen it all before. Just what the world needs, another '32 Hiboy.

O.K. flame me, but there are more '32 Fords registered in California now than were ever produced.

Noddy
11-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Nice car. Well built and detailed. But sorry we have seen it all before. Just what the world needs, another '32 Hiboy.

O.K. flame me, but there are more '32 Fords registered in California now than were ever produced.
What did Meatloaf once say? "You took the words right out of my mouth".

Yes, that is a beautiful car and I'd be very happy to own it. But then again I'd rather own something that is a bit different from the rest... :rolleyes:

Have fun!

Noddy

Golly
11-18-2007, 08:38 PM
yeah but some cars are just iconic in hot rodding. 28 - 40 Fords, 55-57 Chevs etc some cars are just plain ugly no matter what you do to them eg:'35 -'36 Chevs. yes I know ''dare to be different'' but it still has to sit right and have a decent shape?

naki kid
11-18-2007, 08:39 PM
What a Tbucket yeah right.Be like me Noddy and do own something different from the rest,better still dont other wise we will be all the same. :p

H.B.
11-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Thats OK - one day you'll understand .
It took me many years (and many hours working on some of Hot Roddings icons) to understand what part of our history the '32 Highboy is !

Noddy
11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Touche Golly! No matter what you build, the finished car should sit right and be pleasing to the eye - or to have the correct stance. Crikes! Pass my medication - I'm sounding like 4E4!

It is a fact that certain models are part of Hot Rodding folklore - 32 Roadsters & Coupes, 40 Willys, T Buckets - then you think about the Orange Crate and 554 Coupe... where does it end?

Noddy

dclothier
11-18-2007, 09:28 PM
... I hope it never does.

ForEverFour
11-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Touche Golly! No matter what you build, the finished car should sit right and be pleasing to the eye - or to have the correct stance. Crikes! Pass my medication - I'm sounding like 4E4!

The point is that some cars will never look right as they dont have the correct attributes to lend itself to a pleasing stance and proportion.

Golly and HB are right, the 32 is part of many iconic cars within rodding.

Whilst the Tardel car may have been seen before - how many of these "seen before" Deuces have been well executed in terms of finish and style?

Whether its a "seen before" Deuce or an uncommonly used thirties Mopar (which I guess would be the different is better option) - there is still researching of similar cars to achieve a better stance or proportion.

And this isnt a trad vs modern post!

As I would dearly love to pie cut section a 37-38 Chev coupe to "thin" the side profile and give wedge like proportion like a '33-'34 Ford.

Closer to Alfster' heart, I would love to push the wheel base around on an Effie and also even up the proportions of the front and rear fenders.

Some Deuces look better with the radiator lowered 3/8" to reduce the nose bleed look

Its the little differences like that making the difference to a car build. Making people wonder why it sits so sharp or has awesome proportions.

KEVS33
11-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Youre onto it Greg
As are some others

Noddy
11-19-2007, 09:05 AM
What's wrong with a 37-38 Chev Coupe? Isn't there a really "HOT" one in the USA at the moment - "Famosa Speed Shop"? It's featured in all the magazines and websites.

Remember Dean Longhurst's 38 Chev from Rotovegas? That car was "TITS". And then Keith Watt's from Wellignton? And the Jones Boy? I'd be glad to own anyone of those....

Gee I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I believe that ANY car can be modified to improve its looks - just up to the imagination and owner's taste and bank balance.... Crikes - even Model A pickups look much better with a roof chop :D

Just my opinion of course......

Noddy

ForEverFour
11-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Nothing wrong with it if you like trad style gassers.
Have you seen Bobby Alloways build on a 38 Chevy coupe?
Partial channel, extended wheelbase, pie cut section to lower the front sheetmetal, reshaped fenders to accentuate the use of 18 & 20 inch Halibrand style wheels.
Whilst undoubtedly would be a high dollar car, ideas could be taken and carried out by the owner.

Hmmm, roof chopped Model A pick ups. Proportionally, the window area vs door area is right. Lessen the window area and you loose the proportion balance....

Noddy
11-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Nothing wrong with it if you like trad style gassers.
Hmmm, roof chopped Model A pick ups. Proportionally, the window area vs door area is right. Lessen the window area and you loose the proportion balance....

Nah - chop them all. All Hot Rods should be chopped. There was nearly a club formed in the 90s - "Mid North Low Lids" - I was invited with my Bucket. Cars with chopped screens only - REAL Hot Rods.

Cut them up - that is what Hot Rodding is about - this no place for vintage cars. I can't understand the current term "vintage hot rods" - now there's an oxymoron. Vintage cars are Vintage cars. Hot Rods are Hot Rods.

Have fun! I am.... :D

Noddy

scumdog
11-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Nah - chop them all. All Hot Rods should be chopped. There was nearly a club formed in the 90s - "Mid North Low Lids" - I was invited with my Bucket. Cars with chopped screens only - REAL Hot Rods.

Cut them up - that is what Hot Rodding is about - this no place for vintage cars. I can't understand the current term "vintage hot rods" - now there's an oxymoron. Vintage cars are Vintage cars. Hot Rods are Hot Rods.

Have fun! I am.... :D

Noddy

BUT for those without ducks-disease who want to wear a cowboy hat in their effie the unchopped way is the only way.. :D :cool:

And a 'vintage' hot-rod to me would be something like a fendered channelled deuce roadster with flattie running gear - that was built like that in '53.

Noddy
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
BUT for those without ducks-disease who want to wear a cowboy hat in their effie the unchopped way is the only way.. :D :cool:

And a 'vintage' hot-rod to me would be something like a fendered channelled deuce roadster with flattie running gear - that was built like that in '53.
Careful - there are a few around these parts that will tell you an Effie isn't a Hot Rod. Gotta be pre-48 - or 32 in some minds. So therefore can't be included in this discussion..... :rolleyes:

Greg McIntoshes chopped and yellow with flames Effie is the TITS! ;)

Noddy

P.S Admin - Is there a "Stirring" emoticon you can upload for us???

Hot Rod Todd
11-19-2007, 01:24 PM
:D I thought hot rods were modified old cars that get driven..... :p But the restored hot rods are an oxymoron.

Alfster
11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike 32 Fords I just think that there are other alternatives. And with this year being the 75 anniversary of the Duece we have been bombarded with 'new' 32 Fords.

Hot Rodding is about being different, if we all liked the same thing it would be bloody boring. A few years back the '34 ford coupe was the 'in' thing and every time you picked up a magazine there was a '34 3 window with the same roof chop, painted red. The only way to tell them apart was the wheels (maybe).

I totally agree that the '32 Ford is a rodding icon (and nice looking) but I personally don't desire to own one.

And yes, there are people who don't think a F100 is a hot rod and I am one of them. I have NEVER said that the F100 is a hot rod. But I don't build or own my vehicles for anyone else. I brought the F100 because I like the look of them. If others don't like them then that is fine with me.

Heck, there are also people around that don't like PT Cruisers. Val and I own one of those as well. We don't think, or tell anyone it is a hot rod. It is a just a late model car that Val can use everyday. She didn't want to buy a mazda/toyota/honda/jappa because there was nothing that took her fancy.

naki kid
11-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I agree with you Alfster but don't you think all these post are starting to sound the same.??????

Noddy
11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I agree with you Alfster but don't you think all these post are starting to sound the same.??????
Nah - we learn new words or phrases every time this comes up!

It seems there are 2 groups of Hot Rodders around here. Those who have a very specific view on how a Hot Rod should be built - year, make, model, theme, stance.

And then are those who don't give a toss as long as the owner is happy and experiences the joy of ownership - building, fixing, driving and hanging our with like minded people, regardless of their ride.

Personally, I don't have a problem with either group, and I guess you know what side if the fence I sit on by now. And it is good fun to poke the stick at each other... heh heh heh. A bit like the old arguement - Ford Vs Che... Che.. Che... Hell I just can't say that other make!

Just as long as you are doing something with an old car - HAVE FUN!

Noddy

Beater
11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
For Sale-32 Roadster,unfinished project..........!!

naki kid
11-19-2007, 08:32 PM
For Sale-32 Roadster,unfinished project..........!!
How much I'm looking for something to put in the garden :p :D

Beater
11-19-2007, 08:35 PM
where do you think it is at the moment :D

kelzweld
11-19-2007, 08:45 PM
. A bit like the old arguement - Ford Vs Che... Che.. Che... Hell I just can't say that other make!

Just as long as you are doing something with an old car - HAVE FUN!

Noddy
Breathe deep and try to focus. Ch...Che...Chev...Chevrolet. See how easy it rolls off the tongue. Almost as good as Mopar, and much better than that other make... :D

Golly
11-19-2007, 09:27 PM
hell Noddy if you go back and read my post it sez 35 & 36 Chev, I love 37's and onwards , but even Darryl Zipp could get his 36 coupe to look quite right! and he's bloody clever!
PS yes the older F100's suffer from having the wrong wheel base chassis on them. I usually ''clip''them with a Camaro subframe and center the wheel up in the wheel well at the same time. Problem solved. .

Noddy
11-19-2007, 10:05 PM
hell Noddy if you go back and read my post it sez 35 & 36 Chev, I love 37's and onwards , but even Darryl Zipp could get his 36 coupe to look quite right! and he's bloody clever!
No worries Golly - it was 4E4 that said 37-38 Chev Coupes were ugly.... ;)

Noddy

wagons
11-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Would look real cool with one of those hemi headed chevys in it and some fatter rears may be a bit of billet here and there ...walla..a real hot rod..lol :D

kool34
11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
No worries Golly - it was 4E4 that said 37-38 Chev Coupes were ugly.... ;)

Noddy

UGLY...UGLY...every time i open my garage door i think ...MAN what a great looking car a 38 coupe is..

ForEverFour
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
The beauty of this forum and hot rodding in general is that there is no right or wrong.
We can all air our opinions and tastes and life is still all good...

Mooseman
11-19-2007, 10:28 PM
The beauty of this forum and hot rodding in general is that there is no right or wrong.

not all the time , I still worry that someone might say something and we end up having world war 3 again like we did a while back when leakers and ricki left the forum I am glad ricki's back though

Noddy
11-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Totally agree Greg! I'd enjoy a beer or 2 with anyone on this forum... then we can do some REAL stirring :D

Noddy

naki kid
11-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Nah - chop them all. All Hot Rods should be chopped.
Noddy
When are you going to chop the falcon and make it into a real car.Sorry its a Ford and that will only make it better. :D

Noddy
11-19-2007, 10:52 PM
When are you going to chop the falcon and make it into a real car.Sorry its a Ford and that will only make it better. :D
Listen up Sunshine! A Falcon ISN"T a Hot Rod! :p

Noddy

P.S But it is going into Bay Chassis Works soon for some "treatment"....

tsa
11-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Noddy - I dont think chopping the 36 would work, not with the trunkback. I have tried to visualise it, have seen a similar one, photoshop to see and nup, it doesnt look right, proportions wrong.

Alfster - PT Cruisers are the devil. I rented them all the time in Vancouver to head up the mountains until I found out that they draw in the police like boy racers here. So I moved onto Aztecs, wtf was I thinking, an Aztec :confused:

And Mooseman - were all big boys here and should take the comments on the chin.

rockabillybassman
11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Last week I saw a 38 Chev 4 door sedan that's being built, and it's any thing but ugly. A certain well known car painter/ panel artiste (it's his car) has turned the ugly duckling into a 2 door pillarless chopped coupe with the body channelled over an HQ floorpan. The front guards flow back into the doors and bonnet is pie cut and pinched, the original grille is chopped and pinched, and there's not a single panel that has'nt been drastically reworked. It looks like a mix of Lincoln Zephyr/Auburn/Cadillac and the roofline is about as high as my belly button! :eek:

H.B.
11-20-2007, 09:47 AM
SAD - Reduced to 38 Chev 4 doors from such a good start !

less IS MORE - applies to doors as well

Grabel
11-20-2007, 10:27 AM
The divergence of opinions is one of the things that keeps me coming back to the forum.

Personally I once thought (in my youth) that a 32-34 Ford was the beginning and end of a desirable rod. In latter years I have tired of them. Perhaps because there are so many now. Years ago they were relatively rare and everybody knew who had them and regarded those people with envy.

Now there is much more scope for variety and my tastes have leaned more toward customs - while retaining my old love of the rod. Might have something to do with comfort.

For straight out fun it is hard to beat the good old fashioned shaking, roaring, farting, tyre shredding, rattling, belching, bone jarring feel of a real hot rod. :cool: Only these days there is not much scope for this on our roads any more and 'real' hot rods are virtually confined to the drag strip.

But when it comes to 'cruisin', especially inter-city or long distance; give me a comfortable seat, a nice stereo and a smooth ride every time! :cool:

In my case I have a nice stereo; and I'm still working on the seat and the ride!!

Some might say this is heresy - but I say live and let live.

LIFESTYLZ
11-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Now there is much more scope for variety and my tastes have leaned more toward customs - while retaining my old love of the rod. Might have something to do with comfort.

That, I agree with.

The comfort thing is what inspires me to use it more often.
I would spend all day driving the custom '51 Merc but would be hard pressed to do that with the '32 or '34.
In saying that though, there is way more scope for a better ride than there ever was back in the "Old Days" .... lol

scumdog
11-21-2007, 01:51 AM
The divergence of opinions is one of the things that keeps me coming back to the forum.

For straight out fun it is hard to beat the good old fashioned shaking, roaring, farting, tyre shredding, rattling, belching, bone jarring feel of a real hot rod. :cool: Only these days there is not much scope for this on our roads any more and 'real' hot rods are virtually confined to the drag strip.

But when it comes to 'cruisin', especially inter-city or long distance; give me a comfortable seat, a nice stereo and a smooth ride every time! :cool:

In my case I have a nice stereo; and I'm still working on the seat and the ride!!

Some might say this is heresy - but I say live and let live.

Snap!

Same thoughts here GB - after cruising (wafting?) around in the smooth, quiet power-everything Thunderbird for a week-end :cool: I love getting into the F100 and going for a blast - the cammed-up noisy big-block and shift-kitted auto make it jump, the panels rattle at idle, the exhaust sets off car alarms and the 'go' is RIGHT NOW! :D

Grabel
11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
So YOU are the bastard that goes down my street setting off alarms!!!!!

Actually my truck will do that too if I'm not careful! ;)

The thing I do NOT miss these days is getting wet on rainy days. When I was a callow youth I had a Model A roadster/ute rod with a very flimsy canvas top; and when it rained I got very wet. As I didnt have a garage in those days either I got a wet arse nearly every time I got in it! But I really pine for that vehicle now!!!

I think events like the Beach Hop are teaching us that people want comfort in their hobby cars and are prepared to pay for it.

This approach does not diminish, or detract from, 'hot rodding' and many of those people are actually hot rodders at heart. In the heart of virtually every one of those vehicles beats a heart of solid, US of A; V8 steel. :cool:

Johnboy
11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=Grabel]For straight out fun it is hard to beat the good old fashioned shaking, roaring, farting, tyre shredding, rattling, belching, bone jarring feel of a real hot rod. :cool: Only these days there is not much scope for this on our roads any more and 'real' hot rods are virtually confined to the drag strip.

But when it comes to 'cruisin', especially inter-city or long distance; give me a comfortable seat, a nice stereo and a smooth ride every time! :cool: /QUOTE]
Scumdog and Grabel, you're both right on the money. If I want big-block grunt the Cobra comes out, (429 Ford,) but if I want to cruise around Godzone the '47 Ford sedan is the car of choice.....far more practical, and far more comfortable if it rains.

scumdog
11-21-2007, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Grabel]For straight out fun it is hard to beat the good old fashioned shaking, roaring, farting, tyre shredding, rattling, belching, bone jarring feel of a real hot rod. :cool: Only these days there is not much scope for this on our roads any more and 'real' hot rods are virtually confined to the drag strip.

But when it comes to 'cruisin', especially inter-city or long distance; give me a comfortable seat, a nice stereo and a smooth ride every time! :cool: /QUOTE]
Scumdog and Grabel, you're both right on the money. If I want big-block grunt the Cobra comes out, (429 Ford,) but if I want to cruise around Godzone the '47 Ford sedan is the car of choice.....far more practical, and far more comfortable if it rains.

Not quite a hot-rod but a compromise-car I had for a few years (sold it to pay for the 'bird :( ) that was quiet, smooth (ish) and stopped/steered/went like an oversized go-kart.

Only it never had side-curtains and was more fun with the clip-on hard-top removed.

A 1962 Mistral with Mk5 4.1 Cortina dif. and front suspension (a right-hand drive version of Mustang 2 ifs) AND the best bit was the warm 302 Windsor and 5-speed :D

Quick-as yet comfortable for two people - went as far as The Mount and took Terry Furness for a fun filled spin in it, did heaps of miles, a reliable fun eye-catching car - a 'poor mans Cobra'. (Had that painted on the boot).

Grabel
11-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Are you saying that the Cortina IFS was the same as the Mustang 2, only RHD?!!

prognini
11-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Are you saying that the Cortina IFS was the same as the Mustang 2, only RHD?!!
Pretty much all they are,th poms had to steal it from somewhere. :D :rolleyes: