PDA

View Full Version : NZHRA Funds for travel InterIsland to NATs

AHotrod
12-30-2007, 12:11 PM
North Island Members of NZHRA should contact their Club or Zone Delegate about a New Travel Fund avaliable to assist MEMBERS travelling to NATONAL events InterIsland (and the NZHRA STREET ROD NATS 2008 in Methven,Canterbury at Easter,is one of them) as per the report from the last NZHRA meeting that was presented at our December Club Meeting,This should make a few of you HAPPY.Also there is a Discount avaliable on Bluebridge Ferries of 10% for NZHRA Members and passangers,go to www.hotrod.org.nz for details.

AHotrod
01-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I believe NZHRA have set aside a fund to assist North Island Members to come to the Street Rod Nats in Methven Easter'08 20-24 March, up to $150 per vehicle, depending on how many apply for it. Also a better than normal discount on Bluebridge Ferries,contact your club for details sent to them recently by Nats Committee.

AHotrod
01-24-2008, 12:58 PM
I believe NZHRA have set aside a fund to assist North Island Members to come to the Street Rod Nats in Methven Easter'08 20-24 March, up to $150 per vehicle, depending on how many apply for it. Also a better than normal discount on Bluebridge Ferries,contact your club for details sent to them recently by Nats Committee.
Any of you North Island Rodders going to take up this offer?

ForEverFour
01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
No disrespect to you but North Islanders dont have any :D trouble travelling to the Sth Island

Cruisin'
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Any of you North Island Rodders going to take up this offer?
Any money or vouchers is great to receive and always a nice gesture. Regardless whether it's inter-island or an intra-island $ is $.
Damn cost me the best part of $60.00 to get to Kumeu and return home and it's still in the greater part of the community!
No complaints tho' Petrol is just a small portion of the big investment!
C

robster
01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
wtf is NZHRA doing giving away money to rodders to travel to select events. Rodding is a luxury hobby, if you can’t afford to travel, don’t go.

AHotrod
01-31-2008, 12:41 AM
wtf is NZHRA doing giving away money to rodders to travel to select events. Rodding is a luxury hobby, if you can’t afford to travel, don’t go.
Whats wrong with you guys, to me NZHRA should be congratulated on doing something positive,but then if you were not at a club meeting lately you won't of seen the letter sent to all NZHRA clubs. $150 will be greatly appreciated by our club members to help come North next year. Luxury hobby........,only if you want it to be,some its a way of life (eh Noddy) and if you just want to get involed you can build something low budget and still have heaps of fun. Have you Registered ? Cheers.

rockabillybassman
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Ahotrod.... one dissenting voice does'nt qualify as "you guys".

Mooseman
01-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Rodding is a luxury hobby

A Luxury hobby ? yeah right thats not what hotrodding is about mate , it was started by everyday people who had some mechanical know how and built rods out of there sheds and workshops and wanted to go faster on the salt flats and stuff like that , hot rodding is meant to be for anyone who wishes to take part , If the NZHRA wants to help out people get to events then they can .

robster
02-02-2008, 07:10 AM
A Luxury hobby ? yeah right thats not what hotrodding is about mate , it was started by everyday people who had some mechanical know how and built rods out of there sheds and workshops and wanted to go faster on the salt flats and stuff like that , hot rodding is meant to be for anyone who wishes to take part , If the NZHRA wants to help out people get to events then they can .
Yeh thanks for the history lesson Mooseman - I know how hot rodding started out - young guys buying CHEAP cars and modifying them using parts from junk yards. Nowdays that means Jappas! You walked into a junk yard lately - because there aren't many parts available for what we term Hot Rods. Try finding a round headlight bezel - they haven't been on cars for over 20 years now, try finding a pre 49 body in half decent condition for under $5000, cert's gonna cost you nearly $1000, a V8 is gonna run at 15 to 20 mpg vs twice that for an ordinary car. I just dumped $950 on a radiator recore and you know I looked and looked, but just couldn't find any decent cores in the local junkyard.

And to quote Ahotrod from the HotRod thread in the Classifieds “I suggest you will need 10 to 20,000 to buy something worth while that was PART built”.

Cheap ISN'T what hotrodding is now...pick up the latest Hot Rod mag and show me a cheap car! Or even how many rodders use their cars as daily drivers. Go to the Drags and show me a cheap car. Hot Rodding is an expensive hobby and by default, only people with a few spare $$$ are in it. In the real world I know plenty of family guys who simply can’t afford to get into hotrodding – in my opinion that makes rodding a luxury, disagree if you wish.

As for NZHRA handouts, where do you think NZHRA gets that money from? - OTHER member’s subs. So if you think it's correct that you accept money (indirectly) from other hot rodders for you to travel to an event then go ahead. Why doesn't NZHRA just knock $2 off every members subs, then every member would have an extra $2 towards their own travel costs and can then choose which events to use those funds to travel to. That’s the problem with handouts – people forget or ignore that the money has to come from someone else’s pocket

To travel to the Street Rod Nats - distance from the middle of NI to the middle of the SI is approx 600 miles, at 15mpg and at $8 pg, thats $600 in petrol (minimum) for a return trip + accm + ferry. Any hotrodder that can afford that isn't on the bones of his arse and hardly needs a handout from other rodders for what is after all A HOLIDAY! .... IN MY OPINION (and we all know and agree what thats worth....way less than a radiator core thats for sure).

jerry
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
That's a pretty accurate description of the way things are today Robster.
Franklin run a Nationals fund and put a portion of the clubs bar earnings etc over the year into it. It is divided amongst the members who went to the Nationals on their return if they produce gas reciepts etc.

Oldster
02-02-2008, 01:15 PM
It's an individual club choice and each club plays their cards according to the imagination (or motivation) of their members and executive.

In NSRA for instance...our particular area (Tauranga) pays the entry fee for those members attending the NSRA Nationals.

Members attending this event are there representing their area and are usually the most active ones.

This generally means they are also the most active members when it comes to working bees and fundraising, so it's a fair system.

AHotrod
02-02-2008, 04:11 PM
This has turned out to be an interesting thread.I believe NZHRA supporting entrants to travel to a National event approprate(they have always paid entrants in the National Show travel money).You make some valid points Robster,if building to win prizes,but you can build a street legal Hotrod for the same price (or cheaper) than the price that young people buy their Jap cars for,the main difference is that most of them are on HP and its a bit harder toget a loan on a part built Hotrod.Have had personal experience on helping young people get involved and do know that you can build a tidy TBucket or Roadster on a budget.The last "38 4dr Ford body we bought out of Auck cost $1500. The anoying thing was it was $700 in freight. The way to keep costs down is do it yourself, or befriend someone to help you, genuine old Rodders will always help. Brand new 3core V8 radiators can be bought on Trademe from Silverdale Radiators for $299-$359 depending on size,but realise your's might be a special size. My 351w does 26.5mpg when driven quietly on a trip,Happy Rodding

robster
02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
...I believe NZHRA supporting entrants to travel to a National event approprate(they have always paid entrants in the National Show travel money).
Well the thing with a show is you have to attract the cars, otherwise you don't have a show!, and since the National Show is showcasing the hobby, I agree with NZHRA paying travel in that instance, although I would also hope that those travel funds could be recouped by show profits, since I don't agree that a National Show (or any NZHRA event) should be run as a loss making venture.

Cruisin'
02-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Overall, I often wonder if we have come any further over the last 25 years? Or do we have to? Are we just making it all a bit too complicated when it doesn't need to be?
The Host Club can set a venue, lay on a program and provide as much as they can for the participants, but be at the mercy of the weather.
Regardless, it all comes down to choice, perception and participation and you makes of it what you will. It's also gonna cost you regardless, so you save towards it, work out a plan and run what ya brung!
When I hark back to the day, when 3 young lads in a '39 Chev Coupe made their way to the '82 Nats in Hastings. We made new friends, slept in a tent, had a ball and left with a real grin on our face. I can't remember starving before and after, but mind you, I prefer Motel accomodation now.....
I think a Nats would have to do well to top the one at Flaxmere.
Memories.......
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Cruisin_/nats82.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Cruisin_/82nats23.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Cruisin_/hbpo.jpg
C

jerry
02-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Nationals are not something that most people go to every year and when you are travelling inter island it's going to be expensive no doubt.
I don't see a problem with NZHRA or your club (or both) giving you a helping hand to get there if you want to make the effort to go.
I went to Masterton in about '92 and Hawera in about '99 and thoroughly enjoyed both, but I find my tastes changing over time and the high dollar Rods that I used to lust after have been replaced in my affections by the more trad/ primer Rods which are emerging these days.
I guess what I mean is at this point I would prolly travel inter island for a Primer Nats ( if there were such a thing in NZ ) but prolly not for a NZHRA Nats, because I've been there and got the T shirt.(And it is the same format consistently)
This may sound selfish but people do what suits them best when taking their finances/ work obligations/likes/dislikes into account.
Betty and I now seem to cover Kumeu..Cambridge..Americarna.. Blowout..Beachhop..and a couple of Franklin runs if they align with our days off (which aren't often w/ends.)
The rest of the year we can often be found cruisin on our own just for the hell of it.
MoFo has done three decent size trips this year and is still rego'ed as a '90 MR2 :D Cambridge ..Whangamata New yrs day..and Kumeu.
There are a lot of good people in the hobby/ lifestyle out there and I've been lucky enough to meet more than my share of them.
Everyone has their story and thats what makes this obsession great, so, see you on the road.

naki kid
02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree with you Jerry. We went to the Masterton nats twice never in my own car. have'nt been to a nats. since been to the N.S.R.A. Nats and you can't compere them the NSRA nats are low price high on fun and a real friendship affair no one up man ship like the nzhra events where all seem to do is try to outdo one another i have a better car than yours so I won't talk to you etc and this is what happend to me at those to nzhra events so it left a bad taste in me.My loss so what at least now I enjoy all hotrodding to the fullest with a great bunch of rodders I have meet through this site.

Johnboy
02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Hey, I'm with both of you on this one!
We too went to the Hawera NZHRA Nationals, and that was the last one we attended.
BUT......we've been to virtually every NSRA Nationals for......well, I don't know how long, but quite some time. The events and Associations are two very different things.....different attitudes, different people.

rockabillybassman
02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Does the NSRA have a lobby voice? Just curious.

Grabel
02-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Does the NSRA have a lobby voice? Just curious.

Oooohh yeth!!!!!!

It can be heard as you enter the building saying "Come over here Big Boy; I want to thuck your toeths"!! :D

barracuda
02-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Oooohh yeth!!!!!!

It can be heard as you enter the building saying "Come over here Big Boy; I want to thuck your toeths"!! :D
Jeeze that doesnt paint a pretty picture in the imagination Grabel! Think happy thoughts.... think happy thoughts..... :D

Grabel
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah; You are right - Jeez! :eek:

It WAS only a joke! :D

scumdog
02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
And to quote Ahotrod from the HotRod thread in the Classifieds “I suggest you will need 10 to 20,000 to buy something worth while that was PART built”.

Cheap ISN'T what hotrodding is now...pick up the latest Hot Rod mag and show me a cheap car! Or even how many rodders use their cars as daily drivers.

Depends how fussy (and how deep your pocket is) but there ARE 'budget' type rods still out there - and even if they need a little work it is a hobby.

(Try adding the cost of buying and maintaining a boat, registereing it's trailer etc to see what other hobbies can cost)

btw: I use my 'hobby' ('66 T-bird and '55 F100) cars as daily drivers, I have to - my wife has our modern car ('84 Laser) because (a) she works in a different town to me and (b) I've been too slack to finish her '62Compact.

Our modern car is cheap so we have more to spend on our rods and motor-bikes.

You make some good points (especially for the guy with three young kids etc) but patience grasshopper, patience! (and it all hinges on where your heart lies)

scumdog
02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
That's a pretty accurate description of the way things are today Robster.
Franklin run a Nationals fund and put a portion of the clubs bar earnings etc over the year into it. It is divided amongst the members who went to the Nationals on their return if they produce gas reciepts etc.

Snap - same here!!!

Deltas do firewood cutting etc to raise funds and those that attend the Nats get $$$ worth of petrol vouchers from the club.

AHotrod
02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
No disrespect to you but North Islanders dont have any :D trouble travelling to the Sth Island
Have you registered yet? Be good to meet up.Only a week to go before it costs an extra $150.................Check out details on Forum HOT ROD EVENTS about NZHRA Nats 2008 Methven. Happy crusing.