PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on NZHRA Individual Members

AHotrod
05-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Can it work ? Maybe it could. Still havent been able to find out why Nationwide Rodders didnt survive,obviously it started out with heaps of members from allover NZ.

scumdog
05-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Needs SOME form of control.

Otherwise Johny Pimples and his mates will be proudly joining, sticking 'NZHRA' stickers on their black-windowed white lowered blingy-magged boom-tish cars and giving us all the publicity we DON'T need.

Well ya know what I mean....

Noddy
05-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Needs SOME form of control.

Otherwise Johny Pimples and his mates will be proudly joining, sticking 'NZHRA' stickers on their black-windowed white lowered blingy-magged boom-tish cars and giving us all the publicity we DON'T need.

Well ya know what I mean....
It was more about "administration" issues from what I can remember. I can recall thigns were heading towards the courts....

Scumdawg - once again the minority could spoil it for the rest. 99% of individual members would be well behaved - so why not cater for them. Many of the current "super clubs" - with over 100 members - have little control over what their members "get up to". I never attended a Puke meeting - only been to the Club rooms about 3 times in my life......

Noddy

28pink
05-24-2008, 09:31 AM
What about direct membership to the NZHRA? at a higher fee, without the same benefits as a full club member, something like a tier membership, say direct membership gets you membership to NZHRA, not voting rights, with the marketing position advertised, discounted products etc are another benefit we would be looking at for club members and maybe not for direct membership...do you think this would work?

dclothier
05-24-2008, 09:50 AM
What about direct membership to the NZHRA? at a higher fee, without the same benefits as a full club member, something like a tier membership, say direct membership gets you membership to NZHRA, not voting rights, with the marketing position advertised, discounted products etc are another benefit we would be looking at for club members and maybe not for direct membership...do you think this would work?

Daryl I think to really pull the punters in you need to offer something more than just a sticker or a key ring to say 'I'm a member of NZHRA'. Discounted products is a good start, especially if you can get a fuel deal like someone suggested. The public need a reason to belong. Sadly we are an 'incentive-based' society these days.
Some people just are'nt into club membership. Why should you be denied NZHRA benefits if you don't wish to belong to one. Especially if your hotrod meets all of the NZHRA criteria.
I'm a member through Oceanside but I have received nothing from NZHRA to show I am.
Higher fees for individual membership I think is fair.
I am sure you're working overtime at upping the public relations scenario and we definitely back you with the un-enviable job ahead.

C Cab
05-24-2008, 10:25 AM
If a person joined NZHRA as a Direct membership they should have all rights such as voting rights & discounts etc as it is a club the more you give the more people you get thats the way it works these days, as for higher fees this might push people somewhere else you want people to join dont you. you also need to communiate with the members in your club even if its just a guick news letter or email on whats happining even everytime a new member joins send them a welcome note with a list of fellow members in there area I think the most important thing is the people need to be able to have there say & be listened to. look at the AA it is a club & has worked verry well for how many years you buy a membership get a AA card that gives you discount on things could something like this be incorperated into membership

What are the current fees of the NZHRA

prognini
05-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I think I am about to get roasted or toasted ,,I dont give a proverbial rodents butt!
Why does everyone expect to get some thing for sweet sod all nowadays...
Maybe NZHRA does need an overhaul,,but that can surely be worked on with the help of current members or those who give a stuff to join an association for hotrodders,not whingers who want to hold out their hands for everything and give nothing.I think individual membership should be for those members who live outside of a hours drive from their club, or for members who have difficulty driving at night,not someone who doesnt WANTto join a club,for what ever reason.If all in sundry are allowed to join the 'great unwashed' will give hotrodders a bad name and we will be forced off the road.We are still lucky enough to build what we want at the moment,so club membership is paramount.
I seem to recall someone about40 odd years ago,"Ask not what your country can do for you,but what can you do for your country.".. OK,stick HOTRODDING in place of COUNTRY.become a club member and help the association,pay your fees and enjoy it,or go and join your local bowling club.End of rave.

Noddy
05-24-2008, 12:37 PM
I think I am about to get roasted or toasted ,,I dont give a proverbial rodents butt!
Why does everyone expect to get some thing for sweet sod all nowadays...
Maybe NZHRA does need an overhaul,,but that can surely be worked on with the help of current members or those who give a stuff to join an association for hotrodders,not whingers who want to hold out their hands for everything and give nothing.I think individual membership should be for those members who live outside of a hours drive from their club, or for members who have difficulty driving at night,not someone who doesnt WANTto join a club,for what ever reason.If all in sundry are allowed to join the 'great unwashed' will give hotrodders a bad name and we will be forced off the road.We are still lucky enough to build what we want at the moment,so club membership is paramount.
I seem to recall someone about40 odd years ago,"Ask not what your country can do for you,but what can you do for your country.".. OK,stick HOTRODDING in place of COUNTRY.become a club member and help the association,pay your fees and enjoy it,or go and join your local bowling club.End of rave.
Yeah but the "Great unwashed" are already out there Prognini - and possibly giving Hot Rodding a bad name now. How do the public know whether some dickhead in a souped up V8 belongs to the association or not? Do they care? No - it is just an idiot in a Hot Rod.

Couldn't some kind of deal be made where if the Police pull up a dickhead for being an idiot then this is reported back to the NZHRA? It could be a condition of membership that the Police can inform the NZHRA of any tickets issued (for certain offences) and membeship suspended = lose fender exemption and/or certification??? Work with the Police on this one....

Another 2 cents...

Noddy

prognini
05-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah but the "Great unwashed" are already out there Prognini - and possibly giving Hot Rodding a bad name now. How do the public know whether some dickhead in a souped up V8 belongs to the association or not? Do they care? No - it is just an idiot in a Hot Rod.

Couldn't some kind of deal be made where if the Police pull up a dickhead for being an idiot then this is reported back to the NZHRA? It could be a condition of membership that the Police can inform the NZHRA of any tickets issued (for certain offences) and membeship suspended = lose fender exemption and/or certification??? Work with the Police on this one....

Another 2 cents...

Noddy
Could work Noddy,most cops out there know rodders as more genuine car people,will probably not go down well with some,but I have no probs with the idea,,,do the crime,do the time,wipe your nose and come back and behave,?,hmmmmmm :)

scumdog
05-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Another 2 cents...

Noddy

Pfft, like (a) the cops don't have enought to do (b) don't have enough negative publicity as it is.
"I barely spun-up the tyre at all and this cop gave me a ticket, what a prick" etc.

And like supending membership is going to be any form of penalty/disincentive for bad driving. :confused:

It would only affect those with fender exemptions (bugger all of THEM!) and I doubt certification could legally be revoked.

Just my 2cents worth.

Maybe individual membership could be a 'goer' IF local NZHRA clubs were contacted for an opinion on the applicants suitability ??

rockabillybassman
05-24-2008, 01:31 PM
There is another side to this Prognini..... using myself as an example because it's what I can relate to. I would quite happily join NZHRA because I believe it's necessary, but there are no clubs within many hours drive that suit me. My alternative is to join a long distance club, as I know several rodders have done, and I am contemplating that move. However, this is essentially the same as having individual membership, is it not? I dont want anything for nothing, but joining a club that allows long distance membership does'nt exactly allow me to give back to that club. Please dont tell me to bite the bullet and join a local club anyway, I've been there and investigated that, and discovered there are only a very small handful of rodders in my area who share my area of interest, and they belong to long distance clubs..... so in essence they are individual members of NZHRA.

prognini
05-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Pfft, like (a) the cops don't have enought to do (b) don't have enough negative publicity as it is.
"I barely spun-up the tyre at all and this cop gave me a ticket, what a prick" etc.

And like supending membership is going to be any form of penalty/disincentive for bad driving. :confused:

It would only affect those with fender exemptions (bugger all of THEM!) and I doubt certification could legally be revoked.

Just my 2cents worth.

Maybe individual membership could be a 'goer' IF local NZHRA clubs were contacted for an opinion on the applicants suitability ??
Yeah, correct on A and B,etc,you are not just a naked body,err bobby are you, ahh forget it.. :D

jerry
05-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Good thread, after some thought I've concluded that the JR giving out NZHRA memberships willy nilly scenario will not fly.There are several good reasons for that, however...
We need to bolster our numbers for some very good reasons and individual membership must have all the rights and priveleges that current members enjoy, otherwise whats the point of it?
Why should the fact that a person doesn't want to or can't join a club make them a second class Rodder?
It's new blood and votes that we need to encourage and I feel that 28pink's suggestions will only serve to discourage.

sharpmark
05-24-2008, 08:28 PM
oceanside pretty much offers individual membership with the club based in tauranga and members from hastings thru to auckland.i have no prob with this as they have strict entry criteria and it works very well with them ,even being able to run a very successful nationals in napier with most of their members based in tauranga.our club had a large number of rodders from out of district and this worked well and still does.we have a strict attend 3 meetings policy for joining and then this is relaxed a bit and i can't see why this can't work on a broader scale.with individual membership-who judges the "prospect".whos the person/persons who says yes ,your welcome to our association and heres all the advantages that we've slaved for over the last no years.the one that bugs me most is fender exemption-it states that you have to be a member of a club for a year to get this privlidge-will that be the same for individual members???is it policed strongly enough at the moment???how often do you seefenderless cars on t/m sold and no mention of guard exemption being person not car legal-or comments "join a htrdclb just for the exemption".i think theirs alot more to ind members then "we need the numbers"

prognini
05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
There is another side to this Prognini..... using myself as an example because it's what I can relate to. I would quite happily join NZHRA because I believe it's necessary, but there are no clubs within many hours drive that suit me. My alternative is to join a long distance club, as I know several rodders have done, and I am contemplating that move. However, this is essentially the same as having individual membership, is it not? I dont want anything for nothing, but joining a club that allows long distance membership does'nt exactly allow me to give back to that club. Please dont tell me to bite the bullet and join a local club anyway, I've been there and investigated that, and discovered there are only a very small handful of rodders in my area who share my area of interest, and they belong to long distance clubs..... so in essence they are individual members of NZHRA.
I dont see it as being essentially the same Marty,if you join a club out of your area,you are still a member of that club,even if you only attend a few meetings a year,you are still representing that club,and at AGM time still voting with that club,but I do understand where you are coming from.I was in the same scenario some years back,and left the club I was in for a few reasons which I wont go into... :eek:

C Cab
05-24-2008, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=sharpmark]
with individual membership-who judges the "prospect".whos the person/persons who says yes ,your welcome to our association and heres all the advantages that we've slaved for over the last no years.the one that bugs me most is fender exemption-it states that you have to be a member of a club for a year to get this privlidge-will that be the same for individual members???QUOTE]
who judges the "prospect" member : I would say the commite, the applying should have to fill out an applation just like going for a job, references & any club they may have belonged to.
fender exemption: you will still have to belong to NZHRA for a year befor you can get the exemption you could even make it a year & a half if they havent belonged to a club at all

Leakers
05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
oceanside pretty much offers individual membership with the club based in tauranga and members from hastings thru to auckland.i have no prob with this as they have strict entry criteria and it works very well with them ,even being able to run a very successful nationals in napier with most of their members based in tauranga.our club had a large number of rodders from out of district and this worked well and still does.we have a strict attend 3 meetings policy for joining and then this is relaxed a bit and i can't see why this can't work on a broader scale.with individual membership-who judges the "prospect".whos the person/persons who says yes ,your welcome to our association and heres all the advantages that we've slaved for over the last no years.the one that bugs me most is fender exemption-it states that you have to be a member of a club for a year to get this privlidge-will that be the same for individual members???is it policed strongly enough at the moment???how often do you seefenderless cars on t/m sold and no mention of guard exemption being person not car legal-or comments "join a htrdclb just for the exemption".i think theirs alot more to ind members then "we need the numbers"

We don't "offer" memberships, if we are asked we carefully consider members from in or out of the area.
If they come up to our admittedly high standards they get to come three meetings, have their hotrod inspected and are told the rules.
Then we make the decision as a club.
Membership lapses if you don't own a pre49 hotrod,( or are not progressivly building one ) you may not represent the club at any event ( and that means entering an event using Oceanside membership )unless you are driving a pre49 hot rod. Members who want to participate with later model cars are members of other clubs.( including our president in his Cadillac)
It is not a cart blanche individual /rural membership, you MUST attend a number of meetings and in your hot rod..... our president, treasurer,and at least three other members travel over an hour each way to every meeting, in spite of this we have a fairly constant membership our own clubrooms, and have as you said succesfully run large events several times.

Individual membership .... not against it , but can't for the life of me see any advantage to those of us already here....why should we change shit that we do just to suit someone who isn't prepared to even try it the way we do it.
All I can see is a bunch of selfish bastards who want everything changed to suit themselves, can't be flexible enough to adapt, join and then as a member of the organisation suggest some changes to the membership.
They stand on the sidelines and heckle...and that does not give me for one any inclination to listen any more.
Fender exemption does not bug me , that's why membership requirement is a year, it sorts out the serious players from the wannabes...
When fenderless hot rods are sold , I guess it is up to the buyer to find out the rules, if you could only sell to members of NZHRA the market would be somewhat limited.
Lets face it the exemption is a card carried in your wallet, not a plate on the car.

Depekus
05-24-2008, 09:56 PM
What gives with this fender exemption anyway. Is there some sort of safety test you sit, to show your not going to accidentally pick some wayward pedestrian up in ya wheels, or just a way to get more club members.
Are they really thinking that every car would run fenderless if not for exemption. Cant quite get my ears round that 1.... :confused:

hell bear
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Leakers]Individual membership .... not against it , but can't for the life of me see any advantage to those of us already here....why should we change shit that we do just to suit someone who isn't prepared to even try it the way we do it.
All I can see is a bunch of selfish bastards who want everything changed to suit themselves, can't be flexible enough to adapt, join and then as a member of the organisation suggest some changes to the membership.
They stand on the sidelines and heckle...and that does not give me for one any inclination to listen any more.[QUOTE=Leakers]

The Australians have individual memberships it works for them, not all of their individual members would be over an hours drive from a club. Here is a system that works for individual members. Personally i spend more than enough time every month with committee and association meetings for an active sport. The closest local NZHRA affiliated club to me has their meeting on a night that does and can not work for me, the next closest club is 2 hours each way. I don't want voting rights and if i wanted a fender excemption i would join a club.

Maybe if the association started an individual membership system with out voting rights or the ability to gain a fender excemption it would allow people such as myself to join and attend some events. The fees could include an electronic news letter. Nice easy starting point for the membership you get to know where the sanctioned events are, the eligibility of your toy,the contact details of the organisers, and have the membership that would allow you to choose.

Leakers and his fellow club members would then not have to worry about individual members trying to change the system that they hold so dear.The power of the association would remain within its member clubs.The association could regain some of its lost members who had enough of the internal politics of clubs.And whats in it for existing clubs? lots more members paying the association subs!Which means more members when representing the sport, and more money to pay the bills.

Thats my five cents worth. :p

sharpmark
05-24-2008, 10:39 PM
We don't "offer" memberships, if we are asked we carefully consider members from in or out of the area.
If they come up to our admittedly high standards they get to come three meetings, have their hotrod inspected and are told the rules.
Then we make the decision as a club.
Membership lapses if you don't own a pre49 hotrod,( or are not progressivly building one ) you may not represent the club at any event ( and that means entering an event using Oceanside membership )unless you are driving a pre49 hot rod. Members who want to participate with later model cars are members of other clubs.( including our president in his Cadillac)
It is not a cart blanche individual /rural membership, you MUST attend a number of meetings and in your hot rod..... our president, treasurer,and at least three other members travel over an hour each way to every meeting, in spite of this we have a fairly constant membership our own clubrooms, and have as you said succesfully run large events several times.

Individual membership .... not against it , but can't for the life of me see any advantage to those of us already here....why should we change shit that we do just to suit someone who isn't prepared to even try it the way we do it.
They stand on the sidelines and heckle...and that does not give me for one any inclination to listen any more.
Fender exemption does not bug me , that's why membership requirement is a year, it sorts out the serious players from the wannabes...
When fenderless hot rods are sold , I guess it is up to the buyer to find out the rules, if you could only sell to members of NZHRA the market would be somewhat limited.
Lets face it the exemption is a card carried in your wallet, not a plate on the car.
whatever-i was trying to say that your club is one of a number including ours that has a way to join nzhra without being in the same town or needing individual membership or any other so called easyride into what we have worked for.by having to join a club your nzhra requirements are alot easier to work thru then somehow being vetted by someone thru individual membership.re the fender exemption-that" seems" to be the only reason alot of outsiders want to join.anyway your far more eloquent then me so i'm off to bed.

Miss Ellie
05-24-2008, 10:44 PM

Noddy

Maybe too hard basket, Noddy. The only way Police could inform NZHRA would be through the Infringement Bureau - the one place where all tickets go to for processing. NZHRA affiliated members would have to sign off their approval for info to be passed on - privacy act doncha know? So IONs (tickets) would have to have a 'ticked' NZHRA member box and room for a signature approving it.
Dont know if Transport Registry Centre (LTNZ) could help - they would have the same privacy issues.

Be much easier for Club presidents to have their ear to the ground about their members. If someone seriously screws up then word will get around.

Leakers
05-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Guess what Marty!

Only six Oceanside members I can think of are into traditional hot rods... two members with flathead powered hot rods live way closer to you than me. One is also the only member with a primer finished hot rod, three have fenderless cars on the road, two more are building.
One has what I would call a traditional custom, the rest are street rods.... chrome , billet, radials, air conditioning,fenders, big motors , blowers, Jag diffs, alloy wheels, etc etc.

Remember the name of the club is Oceanside Street Rods , most of the hot rods here have SBC engines with a smattering of BBC and SBF. One that I can think of has a Chrysler engine in a Ford car, he bought it that way.
None of our members are individual members of NZHRA, they are all very much involved in club activities. They all attend the AGM at least , but most come to other meetings during the year.
They are all consulted and visited by members when we are in the area,in fact you have been with me to visit one of our members near you, there is nothing individual about his membership, he is a valued member of our club , who happens to live five hours away. They all have the ability to input and vote on all matters.
In fact the six or seven members ( out of 40 or so) who live in your area organised the Napier Pre 49s , they came to the club with the idea, we were just the crew and did as we were asked .

WE ARE A CLUB.

Miss Ellie
05-24-2008, 11:18 PM
None of our members are individual members of NZHRA, they are all very much involved in club activities. They all attend the AGM at least , but most come to other meetings during the year.
there is nothing individual about his membership, he is a valued member of our club , who happens to live five hours away. They all have the ability to input and vote on all matters.

Can't speak for anyone 'cept myself and prognini (well, mostly). We love being in clubs. we belong to both Scenic City and also NSRA - and we travel hours to their Nats and AGM - even to Chch one year :D
Clubs are family to us. Some members you get along with, some you don't; but that's the way it goes. We have at least 6 members who travel an hour to meetings, we have 3 members in the Manawatu, and they come to meetings when they can. Being a club member doesn't depend on geographical location. Being a club member is sometimes outside my comfort zone, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not convinced individual membership is necessary.

Leakers
05-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Leakers and his fellow club members would then not have to worry about individual members trying to change the system that they hold so dear.The power of the association would remain within its member clubs.The association could regain some of its lost members who had enough of the internal politics of clubs.And whats in it for existing clubs? lots more members paying the association subs!Which means more members when representing the sport, and more money to pay the bills.

Thats my five cents worth. :p

5 cents eh, that's about all it's worth .

Get a hot rod, join a club and then bitch about it until then Go back to your "active sport" ...don't sit there and look down at us peons who only have hot rods...not participating in an "active" sport.
There's already over 150k in the bank so we don't need the money off anybody.
3000 rodders make the effort , you and a couple of hundred "gee mummy I don't like politics" prissy cry baby's can't handle hearing a couple of things they don't agree with and can't put up a reasoned argument against it so they leave ...fine good riddance, just don't try to change the system from the outside so you can sneak in the back door.
If you believe something, stand up tall, say your bit, make your point and accept the results. If your argument is strong enough change will come , if not eat it and carry on. Stop whinging, and stop attacking everything I say just because you don't like my opinion about your NOT ROD.

Noddy
05-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Leakers,

If those are you club rules then I understand your club has a new member based over 4 hours away from Tauranga and who doesn't own a Hot Rod that is legally on the road in NZ.

Did he attend 3 meetings in his Hot Rod?

Noddy

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 01:04 AM
route, we need to sit back and figure what we want NZHRA to be, and what it will be most effective as.

Looking back, TJ got hell from many members and whole clubs even, for pushing the Certification stuff back in 1991 or so. But it was the right person leading us in the right direction at the right time. And when it got flogged off, the Associations fund finally came right.

Maybe 17 years later, NZHRA is no longer the vehicle to lobby government. Maybe our car hobby is to fragmented and there needs to be another organisation to bring all the groups and factions together. But if there is, I cant think of what it is at the moment. Craig has mentioned FOMC (federation of motorsport clubs?) but I have never heard of them and have no idea who leads them or what their purpose actually is, or if they are sucessful in lobbying the LTSA/Government.

All up, we may be strong in numbers, but we are politically naive, and in the middle of all this global warming bullshit, probably about as popular at Parliament as a cup of cold sick.

At a personal level, I would like the club system to continue to thrive, and for NZHRA not to go to individual membership. But I will go with whatever best suits our sport.

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Its only 3 and a half hours to Tauranga. :D

Leakers
05-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Leakers,

If those are you club rules then I understand your club has a new member based over 4 hours away from Tauranga and who doesn't own a Hot Rod that is legally on the road in NZ.

Did he attend 3 meetings in his Hot Rod?

Noddy

What's the 4 hours got to do with it?

Read again mate,

Own a hot rod or be progressively working on one ...that means working on getting it to the stage where it is legal.... You know bloody well I have not been able to attend meetings this year.
I am not going to argue our club business here, I was pointing out that we don't have open individual membership.

You have a car club where you live, you just don't choose to call it that, you are a member of the local drinking club, I can't walk in there unless I am signed in, you are the president of the Athletics club, I can't come down on Monday night and decide to have a go at shot put, , just pay a couple of bucks right, don't join the club, don't come back , just one night to impress someone who's watching...
Could I just drive in the parade at this years Beach Hop without registering, could I have I registered on the day? NO , I told those that wanted to politely it can't be done.
Not because there was anything wrong with them, because what they wanted to do was in breach of your rules.
Individual membership is in breach of the rules of NZHRA, if you don't like it don't feed me shit about it...
I am done with this .... it's bullshit.
Form another individual membership club why don't you?

Leakers
05-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Its only 3 and a half hours to Tauranga. :D

Only if you drive a VW.

dclothier
05-25-2008, 08:21 AM
I think I can do Auckland to Tauranga in 1hr 45 in the roadster if I don't get behind a cattle truck and get sprayed with fresh shit.
However it does keep you warm on a winter's morn. :eek:

Noddy
05-25-2008, 09:05 AM
What's the 4 hours got to do with it?

Read again mate,

Own a hot rod or be progressively working on one ...that means working on getting it to the stage where it is legal.... You know bloody well I have not been able to attend meetings this year.
I am not going to argue our club business here, I was pointing out that we don't have open individual membership.

You have a car club where you live, you just don't choose to call it that, you are a member of the local drinking club, I can't walk in there unless I am signed in, you are the president of the Athletics club, I can't come down on Monday night and decide to have a go at shot put, , just pay a couple of bucks right, don't join the club, don't come back , just one night to impress someone who's watching...
Could I just drive in the parade at this years Beach Hop without registering, could I have I registered on the day? NO , I told those that wanted to politely it can't be done.
Not because there was anything wrong with them, because what they wanted to do was in breach of your rules.
Individual membership is in breach of the rules of NZHRA, if you don't like it don't feed me shit about it...
I am done with this .... it's bullshit.
Form another individual membership club why don't you?
Sorry dude - I just read this bit "It is not a cart blanche individual /rural membership, you MUST attend a number of meetings and in your hot rod..... "
Certianly got a good bite didn't I??? Heh heh heh.

You are welcome to come to Athletics and play shot put with the kiddies any time :D . We don't belong to the NZAAA - we don't wish to play by their rules or incur the costs involved.It was our Club's choice and it works fine. It means we can't go to sanctioned events - but our members are more than happy with that. Any parallels there????

Yes, there are rules - they are a fact of life and we live/break them every day. Indiviual Membership is against the current NZHRA rules - fair enough. Start my own individual membership club? Kind of defeats the purpose - and there already plenty out there anyway.....

We have a difference of opinion - no problem with that. Surfing NZ has club and also individual membership I believe (could be wrong). I wonder if they are worried bout the "fringe' element who give surfing a bad name - LOL. :D

Noddy

EDIT: I am correct! From NZ Surfing's constitution..... Take out "Surfing" and insert "Hot Rodding". It works for them - how many members do they have? How wealthy in Surfing NZ? How much TV/Media coverage do they get?

4. MEMBERSHIP
4.1 Membership of the Association shall be open to any person or incorporated surfing club within New Zealand prepared to support the objectives of the Association, but only incorporated surfing clubs and the Chairman in exercising a casting vote shall have the right to vote at General Meetings.

4.2 Application for membership may be by individual application, or by joining an incorporated surfing club affiliated to the Association, or by joining any scheme promoted by the Association which carries membership rights.

4.3 Acceptance for membership shall be determined by the Committee and each applicant shall be notified by the Association's secretary whether or not the application has been accepted.

Cont....
http://www.surfingnz.co.nz/images/stories/SNZ%20Constitution.pdf

rockabillybassman
05-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I think I can do Auckland to Tauranga in 1hr 45 in the roadster if I don't get behind a cattle truck and get sprayed with fresh shit.
However it does keep you warm on a winter's morn. :eek:

The fresh shit is prolly better than the old shit that gets sprayed around here..... :p

naki kid
05-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think individual membership would work Noody because are you going to get a influx of members or what.A lot of those that might join might only do it for a year then they would'nt be bothered to join again and what is the reason they don't want to join a hot rod club in there own area as Rockabilly said in his post, My answer to that get over it join the club in your area those members will leave in time.It is happening in our club at the moment.I have been a member of NZHRA since 1967 on and of and I am still a member of Scenic city in N.P.I have seen the club go up to over 100 members then back down to 10members the best time was when we had 10-15 members.I agree in what Leakers is saying we need to work together and the ones who are not in clubs join one whether it's down the road or 1 hour drive away.

Noddy
05-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't think individual membership would work Noody because are you going to get a influx of members or what.A lot of those that might join might only do it for a year then they would'nt be bothered to join again and what is the reason they don't want to join a hot rod club in there own area as Rockabilly said in his post, My answer to that get over it join the club in your area those members will leave in time.It is happening in our club at the moment.I have been a member of NZHRA since 1967 on and of and I am still a member of Scenic city in N.P.I have seen the club go up to over 100 members then back down to 10members the best time was when we had 10-15 members.I agree in what Leakers is saying we need to work together and the ones who are not in clubs join one whether it's down the road or 1 hour drive away.
But that doesn't happen in Surfing NZ? Members re-new their subs each year and Surfing NZ is doing very nicely thank you. Surfers have a choice - you can either join through a Club or directly as an individual member. Hot Rodders don't have that choice with the NZHRA. In Whangamata alone NZHRA could get 30 new members over night.... but we don't want to form a club.

So what is the difference between a surfer and a Rodder? Have we got different physiology? No. We both live a lifestyle and are part of a community. Surfers are able to re-new their annual sub - why can't a Hot Rodder? I don't have any stats - but I bet there is a real hassle in some clubs getting the fees off members and then sending them to NZHRA each year - it must be a bit of a nightmare for the NZHRA administration? All it would take is an email to each member telling them their subs are due and click here to re-new it now. Bingo - login with your user name and password, put in your credit card details and it would be done in a matter of seconds - as opposed the the current system which must take some months. And wouldn't this help the NZHRA cash flow?

I have no interest in joining a club - that is my choice and I have a number of reasons for that. I have nothing against clubs at all - good for them and I'll support the events they put on that I am able to attend - swapmeets, drag races etc . I've been a member of 3 different NZHRA clubs over the years. But I don't want to join one at the moment. But I do want to support the NZHRA - both financially, as a good member, and as a "number" - but I have no choice at the moment. I also support the NZHRA via our relationship with the BH.

So come on - tell me why a surfer can do it but not a Hot Rodder.....

Noddy

Leakers
05-25-2008, 02:08 PM
But that doesn't happen in Surfing NZ? Members re-new their subs each year and Surfing NZ is doing very nicely thank you. Surfers have a choice - you can either join through a Club or directly as an individual member. Hot Rodders don't have that choice with the NZHRA. In Whangamata alone NZHRA could get 30 new members over night.... but we don't want to form a club.

So what is the difference between a surfer and a Rodder? Have we got different physiology? No. We both live a lifestyle and are part of a community. Surfers are able to re-new their annual sub - why can't a Hot Rodder? I don't have any stats - but I bet there is a real hassle in some clubs getting the fees off members and then sending them to NZHRA each year - it must be a bit of a nightmare for the NZHRA administration? All it would take is an email to each member telling them their subs are due and click here to re-new it now. Bingo - login with your user name and password, put in your credit card details and it would be done in a matter of seconds - as opposed the the current system which must take some months. And wouldn't this help the NZHRA cash flow?

I have no interest in joining a club - that is my choice and I have a number of reasons for that. I have nothing against clubs at all - good for them and I'll support the events they put on that I am able to attend - swapmeets, drag races etc . I've been a member of 3 different NZHRA clubs over the years. But I don't want to join one at the moment. But I do want to support the NZHRA - both financially, as a good member, and as a "number" - but I have no choice at the moment. I also support the NZHRA via our relationship with the BH.

So come on - tell me why a surfer can do it but not a Hot Rodder.....

Noddy

Blah Blah BLAH .yyyaaaaawwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn !

nochop32
05-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Personally i support Direct Membership , i cant see how currently any clud and in particular the larger clubs control " badly behaved" members anyway so what would be different in NZHRA Direct Membership .Given the need for NZHRA to grow this ,would allow an additional revenue stream and assist attracting sponsors for the benefit of the wider membership
however .... when the issue was put to the vote at a recent NZHRA Exec meeting , i think i'm right in saying a staggering 85 per cent of member clubs were against it !!!!
so it a'nt going anywhere

Noddy
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Blah Blah BLAH .yyyaaaaawwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn !
Nothing intelligent to say then???? Can't answer the question then? LOL...

Noddy

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
What will these individual membership people actually get out of their membership that will make them go online again next year and renew?

To go to NZHRA events they have to be certified, so that may be another bunch of costs they dont want to incur.

We all "know" that the more we put in, the more we get out, but these prospective new NZHRA members have been doing pretty well without the NZHRA up to now havent they?

I just dont see 10,000 new best friends coming my way

Noddy
05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
What will these individual membership people actually get out of their membership that will make them go online again next year and renew?

To go to NZHRA events they have to be certified, so that may be another bunch of costs they dont want to incur.

We all "know" that the more we put in, the more we get out, but these prospective new NZHRA members have been doing pretty well without the NZHRA up to now havent they?

I just dont see 10,000 new best friends coming my way
One could ask the same as to what individiual surfers get out of belonging to Surfing NZ? And why do they re-new their subs by themselves each year? All by themselves without having a Club treasuer chasing them..... Is it so they can compete? Or is it just to put their support, both financially and politically, behind the national organisation for the better good of their lifestyle?

I've never said NZHRA will get 10,000 new members - that was someone else :rolleyes: . What I'm advocating is giving an option... Of course the Clubs vetoed it - that was a 100% predictable outcome. But what about some independant market research (similar to what Leakers started) undertaken by NZHRA to find out what potential members really want? Couldn't this data then be put to the members for a vote on individual membership? At the moment it is all based on subjective emotion - not objective data. And I believe this should be a simple business desicion made by the executive - not the members. Afterall - they are elected by the members to make desicions in the best interest of the organisation - this is a classic case of Governence vs Representation - and organisations that fail. I suggest the NZHRA Exec listen to Henry Van der Hayden from Fonterra about this - get him in as a guest speaker....

From an Executive perspective they are charged with fostering the growth and promotion of Hot Rodding in NZ. Opening up other ways that people can join the organisation is one option. And there are plenty of other spin offs from this, as I mentioned above - admin costs, cash flow etc.

I note Surfing NZ changed their consititution...... and they are now prospering. What is happening to Hot Rodding (in the wider sense) vs NZHRA? Has the growth of Hot Rodding resulted in a growth within NZHRA? If not, why not?

Noddy

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 03:21 PM
I cant speak for the surfing community as my total knowledge of surfing was that surfing was done by seaweeds, they had the best looking girls in bikinis, and eventually, when they bred, they made things called grommets :)

Noddy
05-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I cant speak for the surfing community as my total knowledge of surfing was that surfing was done by seaweeds, they had the best looking girls in bikinis, and eventually, when they bred, they made things called grommets :)
Now that is funny! And Hot Rodders had the all wild women and when they bred they had things called wingnuts....

Leakers
05-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Nothing intelligent to say then???? Can't answer the question then? LOL...

Noddy

No , I don't want to , the question is an ass.

It proves nothing,and I am not interested because the statistics are skewed and far too general .
Until you tell us how many surfers there are in NZ ( impossible I would imagine) and
the percentage that belong ,
why the individuals join...the real or perceived advantage.
The average age , skill level and access to computers, and the desire to use one. ( low in ther case of a lot of hot rodders)
The percentage of renewals , and effort required to get them,
and parallel that exactly with NZ hot rodding.
along with all the other proper statistically correct information...I don't know ....you are the one with a degree in manipulating numbers to suit the situation , Ah I mean statistics...

When you have the facts to back up your assertions, join a hot rod club, put in a remit, get it voted in/on/out/over...then tell me until then .....don't even ask me.
or I will post the pic I got of your T bucket while I was staying at your place for Beach Hop this month.

OK? get to work...ya layabout.

Noddy
05-25-2008, 03:32 PM
No , I don't want to , the question is an ass.

It proves nothing,and I am not interested because the statistics are skewed and far too general .
Until you tell us how many surfers there are in NZ ( impossible I would imagine) and
the percentage that belong ,
why the individuals join...the real or perceived advantage.
The average age , skill level and access to computers, and the desire to use one. ( low in ther case of a lot of hot rodders)
The percentage of renewals , and effort required to get them,
and parallel that exactly with NZ hot rodding.
along with all the other proper statistically correct information...I don't know ....you are the one with a degree in manipulating numbers to suit the situation , Ah I mean statistics...

When you have the facts to back up your assertions, join a hot rod club, put in a remit, get it voted in/on/out/over...then tell me until then .....don't even ask me.
or I will post the pic I got of your T bucket while I was staying at your place for Beach Hop this month.

OK? get to work...ya layabout.
I've said it once and I'll say it again - BASTARD!!! LOL.....

Noddy

P.S I'll ask Surfing NZ president Bruce Scott for you - he's a neighbour....

Leakers
05-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again - BASTARD!!! LOL.....

Noddy

P.S I'll ask Surfing NZ president Bruce Scott for you - he's a neighbour....

He will only be guessing.Go and do your own proper research... one Noddy's Hot rod Pic coming up....as soon as I can get it off the phone.

Noddy
05-25-2008, 03:42 PM
He will only be guessing.Go and do your own proper research... one Noddy's Hot rod Pic coming up....as soon as I can get it off the phone.
And you are only guessing that he'll be guessing! :D

You've met Bruce - the architect that is on our Surf Museum team. A true professional... and I bet your bottom dollar that he knows more about the surfing "market" than anyone in NZHRA knows about our "market". Does the NZHRA have any numbers like you want me to get for Surfing? Let's have a race to see who can get them the quickest and back them up.....

Oh, and what's wrong with drawing parallels with other organisations that are successful? It is a widely used commercial technique called Benchmarking.... Saves re-inventing the wheel and costs - find out what works for them and adapt it to make it better to suit us.

Opps - better not argue too much or you'll post that photo.... :eek:

Noddy

Noddy
05-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I won! From the Surfing NZ website....

How many New Zealanders surf?
SPARC estimates that over 200,000 New Zealanders surf.

Edit: Increase regional club membership to 20,000 within 5 years.
Increase membership club members to 50,000 within 5 years.

Surfing NZ has a 5 year Strategic Plan that was created with assistance from SPARC. Anybody ever seen anything like this from the NZHRA?
http://www.surfingnz.co.nz/images/stories/snz%20strategic%20plan.doc

Geez, the NZHRA could really learn from this organisation.....

Noddy

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
I dont have an oppinion on nzhra because im not a member so cant have an oppinion . Not meaning to stir the pot more but isnt an estimate just another word for a guess

Noddy
05-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I dont have an oppinion on nzhra because im not a member so cant have an oppinion . Not meaning to stir the pot more but isnt an estimate just another word for a guess
No. They analytically estimate.... using data collected. What Leakers asked is impossible to give with 100% accuracy - and the bastard knows that :D . Statistics NZ undertake surveys to provide this kind of information continuously- but they are only estimates as they haven't asked every single person in NZ the question - that wouldn't be a survery - it would be a census. STATS 101.

Noddy

P.S Moosie, you have a brain and are a member of the democratic society we call New Zealand. You are allowed to have an opinion... and express it.

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 04:38 PM
No. They analytically estimate.... using data collected. What Leakers asked is impossible to give with 100% accuracy - and the bastard knows that :D . Statistics NZ undertake surveys to provide this kind of information continuously- but they are only estimates as they haven't asked every single person in NZ the question - that wouldn't be a survery - it would be a census. STATS 101.

Noddy

P.S Moosie, you have a brain and are a member of the democratic society we call New Zealand. You are allowed to have an opinion... and express it.

maybe a census is needed then for hotrodding

Noddy
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
maybe a census is needed then for hotrodding
Good idea Moose - but it would mean you'd have to ask every person in New Zealand if they wanted to be a Hot Rodder. That would be too expensive... Some scientific market research through a non biased survey is what is commonly used....

Leakers
05-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Good idea Moose - but it would mean you'd have to ask every person in New Zealand if they wanted to be a Hot Rodder. That would be too expensive... Some scientific market research through a non biased survery is what is commonly used....

A biased survery..is that like a angled kitchen servery or a twisted doctors surgery?

The result of that census would be skewed cause I would answer NO I don't want to be a hotrodder. So would any other honest hotrodder.
The real answer would be No I already am....but there would only be room for Yes or No , because that is the kind of thing those people with number manipulating degrees do.

Leakers
05-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Noddy

So you can't or won't tell me , now we come to the question...
I will comply with the results of a survey of forum members.

Vote A : if I should post the picture here which I took of Noddy's T bucket in the basement at his place during Beach Hop this year.

Vote B : If I should put the pic in the gallery.

Alwaysdreaming
05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
So you can't or won't tell me , now we come to the question...
I will comply with the results of a survey of forum members.

Vote A : if I should post the picture here which I took of Noddy's T bucket in the basement at his place during Beach Hop this year.

A please...............

Noddy
05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
A biased survery..is that like a angled kitchen servery or a twisted doctors surgery?

The result of that census would be skewed cause I would answer NO I don't want to be a hotrodder. So would any other honest hotrodder.
The real answer would be No I already am....but there would only be room for Yes or No , because that is the kind of thing those people with number manipulating degrees do.
Not just a BASTARD.... a PEDANTIC bastard as well!!! Yes, the wording would have to be CAREFULLY constructed - just like any credible survey/petition etc.

Noddy

P.S Paul, can we get a spell checker put on the Forum so people like Leakers stop giving us shit? LOL....

noel
05-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I vote: A ;)

Johnboy
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM

Point taken.....I struck this self-same thing in an on-line survey I was asked to undertake the other day.......I was given three options, and was asked to tick one only.
But two of the options were relevant, so I ticked two. As I ticked the second one, my first tick was deleted.......I wasn't able to tick two.
So, straight away their survey is flawed.
All options must be catered for.
Or it doesn't mean a thing.

C Cab
05-25-2008, 06:55 PM
I vote for A & B

C Cab
05-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I understood that Hotrodders were a rebellious lot that liked to change rules to sute themselfs, so in this case who doesnt want to change the rules ?????

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I learned at school that if offered multi choice you took B, C or the longest answer.

I learned when I got older that if given a choice, take them all

I vote A and B

Can it be in colour too please :)

Noddy
05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I learned at school that if offered multi choice you took B, C or the longest answer.

I vote A and B

OH F.F.S!!! Give it a rest...... :p

Come on, back on topic... if you dare!

Noddy

Leakers
05-25-2008, 07:34 PM

I vote A and B

I think the colours are black and white... it was just a quick snap before I got sprung.

I will need a bunch more votes to convince me to betray my mate in the name of public good though. ..lol

Leakers
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM
OH F.F.S!!! Give it a rest...... :p

Come on, back on topic... if you dare!

Noddy
I'll shift it to Blokes and sheds then ??

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
can we vote more than once? :)

prognini
05-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I think the colours are black and white... it was just a quick snap before I got sprung.

I will need a bunch more votes to convince me to betray my mate in the name of public good though. ..lol
Yup,I vote A&B please,so does miss ellie,and everyone else who either,A,hasnt ever seen it before,or B,only ever seen it in the magazine. :D :D

dclothier
05-25-2008, 08:24 PM
I'll shift it to Blokes and sheds then ??

I'm surprised that you, the bastion of all things traditional, even considered taking pics of non-flathead powered hotrods in the first place.

Get in front of that mirror mister...

Hot Rod Kid
05-25-2008, 08:38 PM
i vote A because we can just copy it and then put it in the gallery :D :D

kelzweld
05-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I vote A, and back it up in 'Blokes in Sheds' incase this thread becomes nasty and is deleted :eek: .
And Mooseman, it's really common to have opinions on lots of things that you don't belong to. We are the human race afterall.

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I vote A, and back it up in 'Blokes in Sheds' incase this thread becomes nasty and is deleted :eek: .
And Mooseman, it's really common to have opinions on lots of things that you don't belong to. We are the human race afterall.

yeah I have no idea about the inner workings of nzhra and im not a member so if I start saying this or that I will probably get it wrong

jerry
05-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Just backing the bus up a little, I can't for the life of me understand why a fenderless exemption is so hard to come by, or for that matter why it is the individual that is exempted and not the vehicle. You can get your windscreen broken any day of the week by stock unmodified cars and trucks, so a few fenderless rods running about on the weekend are going to massively increase the risk? Hardly! The window thats most likely to be broken is the front windscreen of the fenderless vehicle for f#*cks sake.
What else can the driver of a fenderless rod do to raise the ire of the motoring community.....I can't think of anything.
I feel that this should be part of Cert and anyone selling a fenderless vehicle be duty bound to point out the possible pitfalls of no fenders,having put his moniker on a legal document held by the appropriate authority. Chances are he's selling to a fellow Hotrodder who understands this anyway.
And why this is limited to pre 35's is beyond me also.
What exactly is the difference between MoFo (42) and a 34 anything?
It seems a very arbitrary cutoff point.
The NZHRA constitution needs an overhaul to bring it into the 21st century.

Noddy
05-25-2008, 09:04 PM
yeah I have no idea about the inner workings of nzhra and im not a member so if I start saying this or that I will probably get it wrong
Who cares kid? You are our future so why not tell us how YOU think things should work? Don't be shy or worry about getting it wrong - we won't bite. OK - we'll keep Leakers on a leash!

Noddy

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 09:16 PM
is the best that NZHRA can get for us.

Apparently the boffins at LTSA/LTNZ really think we shouldnt have them, and show no interest in us being able to take the fender exemption up to say 1948.

But given my deep knowledge of things pre-1935 :) I can tell that your truck is a much modified 1934 Bedford lorry. On that basis, you CAN get an exemption, but your truck IS NOT a "Leakers approved" Hot Rod anymore :D

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Who cares kid? You are our future so why not tell us how YOU think things should work? Don't be shy or worry about getting it wrong - we won't bite. OK - we'll keep Leakers on a leash!

Noddy

im not worried about leakers , I just honestly dont have the slightest idea what you guys are talking about

Hot Rod Kid
05-25-2008, 09:17 PM
we'll keep Leakers on a leash!

and dont forget to feed him :D

prognini
05-25-2008, 09:22 PM

Noddy
Leash?LEASH?I am coming up next month,I will bring a goat chain. :D

kelzweld
05-25-2008, 09:25 PM
A boat chain? Will it still have the anchor attatched? :eek:

Noddy
05-25-2008, 09:25 PM
im not worried about leakers , I just honestly dont have the slightest idea what you guys are talking about
OK. One day you'll own a Hot Rod correct?

Now - do you want to join the National organisation (NZ Hot Rod Association) that represents Hot Rodding? It is your choice..... it isn't compulsory, but there are advantages.

If you say Yes, then at the moment you have to be accepted by a Club, pay a Club fee and an NZHRA fee. Some Clubs have rules that you have to attend a certain number (3) of meetings in a row or you get kicked out.

What some of us are saying is that couldn't we just join the NZHRA directly and not do it through a Club. Some people can't join Clubs because of where they live (e.g Whitianga is over 2 hours from the nearest club, Whangamata is over 1 hour), their jobs (they work nights), self employed (work 6 or 7 days) or have family to consider - kids to run around after. My own girls take up most of the nights after school - dancing, athletics, swimming, gymnastics etc.

Understand? What kind of organisation do you want to join? Through a club or directly?

Noddy

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 09:27 PM
OK. One day you'll own a Hot Rod correct?

Now - do you want to join the National organisation (NZ Hot Rod Association) that represents Hot Rodding? It is your choice..... it isn't compulsory, but there are advantages.

If you say Yes, then at the moment you have to be accepted by a Club, pay a Club fee and an NZHRA fee. Some Clubs have rules that you have to attend a certain number (3) of meetings in a row or you get kicked out.

What some of us are saying is that couldn't we just join the NZHRA directly and not do it through a Club. Some people can't join Clubs because of where they live (e.g Whitianga is over 2 hours from the nearest club, Whangamata is over 1 hour), their jobs (they work nights), self employed (work 6 or 7 days) or have family to consider - kids to run around after. My own girls take up most of the nights after school - dancing, athletics, swimming, gymnastics etc.

Understand? What kid of organisation do you want to join?

Noddy

um good question ill have to get back to you on that one

Leakers
05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Just backing the bus up a little, I can't for the life of me understand why a fenderless exemption is so hard to come by, or for that matter why it is the individual that is exempted and not the vehicle. You can get your windscreen broken any day of the week by stock unmodified cars and trucks, so a few fenderless rods running about on the weekend are going to massively increase the risk? Hardly! The window thats most likely to be broken is the front windscreen of the fenderless vehicle for f#*cks sake.
What else can the driver of a fenderless rod do to raise the ire of the motoring community.....I can't think of anything.
I feel that this should be part of Cert and anyone selling a fenderless vehicle be duty bound to point out the possible pitfalls of no fenders. Chances are he's selling to a fellow Hotrodder who understands this anyway.
And why this is limited to pre 35's is beyond me also.
What exactly is the difference between MoFo (42) and a 34 anything?
It seems a very arbitrary cutoff point.

The NZHRA constitution needs an overhaul to bring it into the 21st century.

Have you read the constitution?
Not many have!

It's what comes off the rear tyres that is the issue, mainly water spray.

That's where all the mud flap laws for trucks are directed.

Exemptions are simply an exception granted by the lawmakers for serious enthusiasts.
They are issued to responsible members of a national organisation who are belong to member clubs.

Not arbitrary at all ..it is determined on body style and tradition.

Pre 35 was determined by those that gained the exemptions as the norm for fenderless hot rods.... by people who cared enough to make the submissions, and negotiate the exemption.

Traditionally round cars were not hot rodded, they were customs or donor cars for real hot rods.
It is only since earlier cars became a bit hard to find the advent of Rat Rod trucks built from later bodies that it has become an issue.
I have never seen a fenderless 42 sedan for example.
Sure there are radical exceptions like Wild Honey , but generally post 35 cars were built with stock type fenders. I don't think many people would recognise Wild Honey's roots.
In fact it may never be seen again as it was.
If one was worried about rocks off the front wheels breaking ones own windscreen , surely the answer would be fit some fenders. :D

The difference between MOFO and a 34...go look at some old lakes racing footage........the fenderless 42s are missing!

Noddy
05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
It's what comes off the rear tyres that is the issue, mainly water spray.
Hot Rod Mag did a really good article back in 1977(?). Remember they followed "Bloody Mary" fenderless (well rear bobbed) 34 coupe from Hamilton to Auckland in the rain. What they proved was that when a water particle was picked up by the tyre it hit the mudflap of a truck and broke into tiny molecules - hence the really heavy "mist" that you get behind trucks - a moving fog bank that you can't see through... But behind a fenderless car the water was flicked up into the air and remained intact - basically it was the same as rain. So the point was water hitting a mudflap was more dangerous than off a fenderless car....

They are issued to responsible members of a national orgaisation who are belong to member clubs.
Far out - what are you on tonight??? That is worse Engrish than my survery!

So do you believe any member of a club who has had their car impounded under the "Boy Racer" legislation for 28 days and prosecuted in court should be granted a fender exemption by the NZHRA?

Noddy

rockabillybassman
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Jerry... I dig your fenders on Mofo. Can you mail me some pics of the bracketry and other points of mounting interest, if you get an opportunity. Unless of course you've got it back on the road for the Mavericks Bash, then I'll steal your ideas in person.... :D

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
"Boy, have you rehabilitated yourself yet?"

because you can get anything you want at Alices Restaurant ('ceptin Alice)

Noddy, I guess if the hypothetical hot rodder you mention was behaving himself, and the club signed recommended him, then the area delegate would sign off the form.

Not that my club has ever actually written a letter for me...

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 10:11 PM
would fenders similer to the ones on the american graffiti milner deuce be legal?

naki kid
05-25-2008, 10:19 PM
"Boy, have you rehabilitated yourself yet?"

because you can get anything you want at Alices Restaurant ('ceptin Alice)

Noddy, I guess if the hypothetical hot rodder you mention was behaving himself, and the club signed recommended him, then the area delegate would sign off the form.

Not that my club has ever actually written a letter for me...
We would never write a letter fore a accountant you can't trust them. :rolleyes:

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
and I think he knows a bodyslam would hurt :D

Leakers
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Hot Rod Mag did a really good article back in 1977(?). Remember they followed "Bloody Mary" fenderless (well rear bobbed) 34 coupe from Hamilton to Auckland in the rain. What they proved was that when a water particle was picked up by the tyre it hit the mudflap of a truck and broke into tiny molecules - hence the really heavy "mist" that you get behind trucks - a moving fog bank that you can't see through... But behind a fenderless car the water was flicked up into the air and remained intact - basically it was the same as rain. So the point was water hitting a mudflap was more dangerous than off a fenderless car....

Far out - what are you on tonight??? That is worse Engrish than my survery!

So do you believe any member of a club who has had their car impounded under the "Boy Racer" legislation for 28 days and prosecuted in court should be granted a fender exemption by the NZHRA?

Noddy

Correct,
I remember that too, I didn't think it was that long ago . It was hardly proof ...not a scientific experiment. However it did lead to some new technology invented by a kiwi hot rodder.... a type of truck mud flap which traps the water and drains it off.

Yes to the exemption , I believe once the crime is punished the deal is done and dusted, if however he does it again in his exempted fenderless rod, AND gets caught then he would have to explain himself...and I think the rule says the exemption will be lifted for a further breach , and all sorts of other provisions about appeals etc... who cares, he hasn't had an exemption issued yet and the car for which an exemption is issued has to be certified, that is still coming as far as I know. ???

Not bad English or in fact even bad spelling, bad proof reading.

jerry
05-25-2008, 10:55 PM
is the best that NZHRA can get for us.

Apparently the boffins at LTSA/LTNZ really think we shouldnt have them, and show no interest in us being able to take the fender exemption up to say 1948.

Maybe a larger lobby group could change that. :)

But given my deep knowledge of things pre-1935 I can tell that your truck is a much modified 1934 Bedford lorry. On that basis, you CAN get an exemption, but your truck IS NOT a "Leakers approved" Hot Rod anymore :D

I wish!..It may well spend all it's time being 'F' less once legal anyway and I'll take my chances with the Rozzers, and my club. I'll get out there and bust a few windscreens :D I don't get to bugger all sanctioned events so thats not an issue, and if we are sent to Coventry, Betty and I will just pick our own destinations and please ourselves, like we often do anyway.
I'll do my best not to be irresponsible while out there :D

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
would fenders similer to the ones on the american graffiti milner deuce be legal?

well? anyone no?

Noddy
05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
well? anyone no?
I haven't got the code of construction with me - but I would think probably not the rear fenders. A certain circumference (the round bit) of the tyre must be covered and I don't think those shortened (or "bobbed") rear fenders would go far enough around the tyre.

Understand?

Noddy

Mooseman
05-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I haven't got the code of construction with me - but I would think probably not the rear fenders. A certain circumference (the round bit) of the tyre must be covered and I don't think those shortened (or "bobbed") rear fenders would go far enough around the tyre.

Understand?

Noddy

yip yip im with you

Hot Rod Todd
05-25-2008, 11:31 PM
;) Is your Lorry a 2008 LVVTA 1942 Chev pickup replica?

Because if its a scratch built, then its not a 1942 anything according to LTSA. So you CAN register it as a 1934 Chev truck if you want.

And then you CAN have a fender exemption provided you are 1) a current member of NZHRA and 2) have been a member for a period of 12 months

And from memory, there nowhere that says that the 12 months has to be as part of your "current" membership if you have a NZHRA history.

Trust this helps

Todd

rockabillybassman
05-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Jerry's truck is a 42 Ford, on a 42 Ford chassis, and was imported as such.

Moose, my understanding is that 1/3 of the circumference of the tire must be covered.

jerry
05-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Marty's right, it's mainly 42 and pink slipped as such, so no go there. :(

Bundy told me that fenders need to cover 1/3 ofthe wheel's circumference and have to be no more than 120mm from the ground at the backs.
Thats why I made up some ugly little mudflaps with chinese screws holding them on :)

Leakers
05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
;) Is your Lorry a 2008 LVVTA 1942 Chev pickup replica?

Because if its a scratch built, then its not a 1942 anything according to LTSA. So you CAN register it as a 1934 Chev truck if you want.

And then you CAN have a fender exemption provided you are 1) a current member of NZHRA and 2) have been a member for a period of 12 months

And from memory, there nowhere that says that the 12 months has to be as part of your "current" membership if you have a NZHRA history.
Trust this helps

Todd

On the application it says

To be completed by SIGNATORY
a Applicant has been a financial member of NZHRA for not less than one year.

The rules part is similar and says that if membership lapses the exemption authority card expires.

Hot Rod Todd
05-26-2008, 07:47 AM
but it doesnt say that your 12 months in the NZHRA have to include the 12 months prior to applying for the exemption.

So I argue that you could rejoin the NZHRA in April 2008, having been a member from say 1980-1990 and still be eligible for an immediate fender exemption..

Leakers
05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
but it doesnt say that your 12 months in the NZHRA have to include the 12 months prior to applying for the exemption.

So I argue that you could rejoin the NZHRA in April 2008, having been a member from say 1980-1990 and still be eligible for an immediate fender exemption..

I agree 100% that is why I quoted the rule. Not "could" that's what people already do. You just have to prove the previous membership, because the records are not complete.....where have I heard that before.

robster
05-26-2008, 10:32 AM

Thats correct, and if you can prove your previous membership, that is how it works.

Thumper
05-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I feel that individual membership is a good concept, ala NZ Surfing, but with our interest of Hot Rodding, there would need to be a sweetener, such as discount for fuel, insurance, accomodation or any of the things other organisations can associate with others. There is nothing wrong with forming alliances if that would help, for example the AA is an association that comes to mind. I like the online membership thing, we joined GoodGuys to get the magazine, and in less than 4 days we had our membership pack back.
Maybe, NZHRA could do well by forming a study team to check out other associations and rodding organisations to see what benefit packages can be offering.

Noddy
05-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I feel that individual membership is a good concept, ala NZ Surfing, but with our interest of Hot Rodding, there would need to be a sweetener, such as discount for fuel, insurance, accomodation or any of the things other organisations can associate with others. There is nothing wrong with forming alliances if that would help, for example the AA is an association that comes to mind. I like the online membership thing, we joined GoodGuys to get the magazine, and in less than 4 days we had our membership pack back.
Maybe, NZHRA could do well by forming a study team to check out other associations and rodding organisations to see what benefit packages can be offering.
You are onto it Rod! According to Surfing NZ they have discounts at surf shops etc if members produce their credit card type membership card.

NZHRA could do fuel, speed shops, beer - well maybe not the beer... but to get these discounts NZHRA needs numbers. 2500 members isn't much of a bargaining point....

Noddy

dclothier
05-26-2008, 02:38 PM
You are onto it Rod! According to Surfing NZ they have discounts at surf shops etc if members produce their credit card type membership card.

NZHRA could do fuel, speed shops, beer - well maybe not the beer... but to get these discounts NZHRA needs numbers. 2500 members isn't much of a bargaining point....

Noddy

I know Pioneer Speed Shop already offer a discount if you're in a club. Can't remember if it's 5 or 10%.
And I have spoken to another speedshop recently who are very interested in doing an alliance type discount with all NZHRM Forum members which would apply to NZHRA members as well probably.

The Voodoo Kreeper
05-26-2008, 02:41 PM

Noddy

but it aint a little number either. may businesses out there get immediate petrol discounts for having even 20 slaes reps on the roads etc. surely if mobil or something was approaced and told there would be a guarantee of 2500 people using their stations (ok, a percentage may already use mobil etc, so not a 100% guarantee of course), but a very large increase all the same. even if it was a 5% discount, or a few cents, it would all add up eventually.

just cos the nzhra is small, doesnt mean it has to behave small. its all about getting out there and asking. you know that nodz, no different with getting sponsors, just got to talk it out and prove there is a bonus for everyone involved.

motel chains would be in for sure. especially with events that happen all over the country. more people might actually go to events if they knew that petrol / accomodation etc was going to be at a discounted rate. its amazing how a 5% difference can make in someones budget to say yes or no.

i think its worth a try either way. whats the worst can happen, a NO. so, then go to the next place and try again.

Mooseman
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I know Pioneer Speed Shop already offer a discount if you're in a club. Can't remember if it's 5 or 10%.
And I have spoken to another speedshop recently who are very interested in doing an alliance type discount with all NZHRM Forum members which would apply to NZHRA members as well probably.

imagine the amount of people joining the forum to get the discount then , they may just join to get the discount but never contribute

Noddy
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Good points VK and I'm all for it - but do you know how hard it is to get anything out of the fuel companies??? I've got a foot in the door with BP - got fuel for the Poncho out of them....

Noddy

Leakers
05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
imagine the amount of people joining the forum to get the discount then , they may just join to get the discount but never contribute

Spot on Moose.

And for you petrol discount proposers, It has been investigated with three companies already,

The answer discounting can only be done with a fuel card, (credit) and guess what ...3000 members of the New Zealand Hot Rod Association did not impress them at all....they were extreemly nervous about giving credit to hot rodders .
The best suggestion they could come up with was that all the gas gets charged to NZHRA and NZHRA administers the account , i.e. pays the bill then collects on the individual cards/accounts monthly from members.

The Voodoo Kreeper
05-26-2008, 07:22 PM
well are any of them smart enough to consider running a discount card that the discount gets applied at the time of paying for your gas??? surely thats not the hardest thing in the world to put forward to them. no accounts, no outstanding debts, just a discount for being a part of the nzhra. you may not get 100% brand loyalty that way, but it would increase it for sure.

i dont touch BP, they suck. only thing they do thats good is their gourmet butter chicken pies.

1932tub
05-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Spot on Moose.

And for you petrol discount proposers, It has been investigated with three companies already,

The answer discounting can only be done with a fuel card, (credit) and guess what ...3000 members of the New Zealand Hot Rod Association did not impress them at all....they were extreemly nervous about giving credit to hot rodders .
The best suggestion they could come up with was that all the gas gets charged to NZHRA and NZHRA administers the account , i.e. pays the bill then collects on the individual cards/accounts monthly from members.

What a can of worms for the association. Be better to forget about petrol discounts.
Anyway, what sort of discount would you expect? 2 or 3 cents per litre.
Woud'nt be worth the shit

The Voodoo Kreeper
05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
What a can of worms for the association. Be better to forget about petrol discounts.
Anyway, what sort of discount would you expect? 2 or 3 cents per litre.
Woud'nt be worth the shit

it may not be much, but if petrol went down 3 cents tomorrow i bet you'd be happier. and everytime it goes up 2 or 3 cents i bet you whinge a bit more. or maybe you dont, seeing as you think thats worth shit.

for those who actually wish to try and make a change, go for it. for the people who dont, sit back, do nothing, pay full price and whinge in your own time

1932tub
05-26-2008, 07:46 PM
it may not be much, but if petrol went down 3 cents tomorrow i bet you'd be happier. and everytime it goes up 2 or 3 cents i bet you whinge a bit more. or maybe you dont, seeing as you think thats worth shit.

for those who actually wish to try and make a change, go for it. for the people who dont, sit back, do nothing, pay full price and whinge in your own time

I probably did'nt word that quite right. I should have said 'would'nt be worth the shit for NZHRA to police a petrol account'
Imagine the debt they could end up with with unpaid petrol bills.

The Voodoo Kreeper
05-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I probably did'nt word that quite right. I should have said 'would'nt be worth the shit for NZHRA to police a petrol account'
Imagine the debt they could end up with with unpaid petrol bills.

oh, hahaha. fair call then. sorry for misunderstanding.

i still think anything and everything is worth a shot. its just my mentallity. yes i know, im mental. if we can get a discount card (not a credit fuel card), then im sure you would find 2500 nzhra members would feel pretty damn happy about the small change it will make in their wallets at the end of the week. if there is then more negotiation with other businesses, of all day to day living, then it will all add up quite quickly to being able to save.

1932tub
05-26-2008, 08:21 PM
We have a fuel card, that we get a discount on fuel, because one of us worked for a large company. And this is one of their perks. The name on the card is:
Our name and .........staff. If NZHRA did this it would read ie: our name NZHRA Member. The fuel you use gets deducted from your bank account on the 20th of each month. Its your debt not NZHRA's.
Good idea I reckon.

That sounds like a deal if it could be organised.
As long as the NZHRA member has sufficient funds in their account to pay for the gas. If they default, who is liable?

Noddy
05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
oh, hahaha. fair call then. sorry for misunderstanding.

i still think anything and everything is worth a shot. its just my mentallity. yes i know, im mental. if we can get a discount card (not a credit fuel card), then im sure you would find 2500 nzhra members would feel pretty damn happy about the small change it will make in their wallets at the end of the week. if there is then more negotiation with other businesses, of all day to day living, then it will all add up quite quickly to being able to save.
Thai Chicken pies are pretty damn good as well. Oh, and you can't beat the Hot Chocolates either. Some of us with more powerful cars (not Valiants :D ) need 98 Octane -we don't have any Gulls around here - only seagulls.... So BP is it.

I've sent an email to my very good contact at BP in Wellington and floated the idea to her.... Don't hold your breath!

Noddy

rockabillybassman
05-26-2008, 08:37 PM
There is no incentive whatsoever for petrol companies to give discounts to hotrodders, why should they? 3000 members is just a very small drop in the bucket to them. Not enough to give a shit about, really. I'm sure BP does'nt really even care too much if it's entire NZ operation closes overnight, it's just small change on the global scale. Probably even a pain in the butt, truth be known.

Cruisin'
05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
There is a lot to be thinking about regarding the fuel costs, brand loyalty et al.
No doubt many would have heard of the cheap petrol project etc.
I have 2 different Fuel Co. petrol cards, and a company credit card.:cool:
Funny thing is, I still look for the deal, be it fuel, food or accommodation.....
Creatures of habit and money saved by me means more to go around for the company.:D
BIG picture = lot's of small pictures joined together. Or nowadays, pixels, pixies! ;)

C

Leakers
05-26-2008, 08:46 PM
well are any of them smart enough to consider running a discount card that the discount gets applied at the time of paying for your gas??? surely thats not the hardest thing in the world to put forward to them. no accounts, no outstanding debts, just a discount for being a part of the nzhra. you may not get 100% brand loyalty that way, but it would increase it for sure.

i dont touch BP, they suck. only thing they do thats good is their gourmet butter chicken pies.

That's what loyalty cards like Global Plus and Flybuys are about. There has to be something in it for the oil company too, and in the end it has to be worth more than the discount .
The card still has to be administered and that brings costs into the picture , if someone joins and then leaves ( or gets chucked out) that card has to be allocated ,activated and eventually disabled, new cards cost money ( between 5 and 15 bucks to produce and allocate)those costs have to be covered and that is done with a portion of the discount allocated to the card providor or the administration...in this case NZHRA or the oil/discount company. For all this to happen the card has to read in the gas station's card reader and send a message to a server somewhere , which has to have paid staff looking after it and other costs.

In short I did exactly what you are saying , I got off my arse and tried all of the posibilities I could think of , most of them told me to piss off, but the one company who did listen and consider it found it just too hard to do in the end....it was a fuel discount company not an oil company.
Remember NZHRA already has discounts available for insurance and ferry crossings and other stuff.... oh yeah you have to be a member .

Leakers
05-26-2008, 08:59 PM
We have a fuel card, that we get a discount on fuel, because one of us worked for a large company. And this is one of their perks. The name on the card is:
Our name and .........staff. If NZHRA did this it would read ie: our name NZHRA Member. The fuel you use gets deducted from your bank account on the 20th of each month. Its your debt not NZHRA's.
Good idea I reckon.

Yep correct , that was part of the discusion, answer....from them
When you work somewhere you have a job to protect, if the person who owes the money does not pay the providor( oil company) can go back to the employer and collect ...it is part of the contract. In fact the discount is bigger than you receive, the company gets a cut too. This was the basis on which I thought NZHRA might benefit.
It all started when as secretary of my club I received an offer in the mailbox, I followed it up and it did not pan out, so I asked what about the whole New Zealand Association...3000 members . Answer..not at this time.

One of the things they said was imagine if we gave a discount to every member of the RFU...we might as well just drop the price.
It could be different in the current climate....maybe that is the job for the new superman commercial manager????

Old Ford
05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I think every one is getting off the track remember last year when we were all asked about our veiws of individual membership, clubs voted at a ratio of more than 3 to 1 against it. I personaly thought it had merrit but obviously the vast majority of the memership did not. I have gotten over it so should everyone else maybe try again in a few years time. The NZHRA has bigger things to deal with in the coming year or two as we all should no buy now.

Noddy
05-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Maybe you could ask her why there is no 98 in the Naki while you are at it. Wanaganui & TeKuiti are it.
I thought you grew it in the Naki??? :D

Noddy
05-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I think every one is getting off the track remember last year when we were all asked about our veiws of individual membership, clubs voted at a ratio of more than 3 to 1 against it. I personaly thought it had merrit but obviously the vast majority of the memership did not. I have gotten over it so should everyone else maybe try again in a few years time. The NZHRA has bigger things to deal with in the coming year or two as we all should no buy now.
Hi Old Ford - welcome to the Forum

Of course the clubs said no - they are at risk of losing members. Individual membership is for those that don't already belong to the NZHRA - for whatever reasons. They should be the ones who should be asked... in a survery like Leakers started.... It's called market research - what is the full potential of the NZHRA? 2500 members? I don't think so.....

Noddy

jerry
05-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't understand why some people think that clubs would lose members in droves if individual membership was available.I take it you mean that all the guys who are only in clubs to gain a fenderless exemption would suddenly desert if they could freelance? What a crock....how many of them are there anyway? Bugger all I reckon, most guys already in a club would most likely stay in the club.
I would have thought that it would more likely work the other way...you affiliate as an individual, you meet other members, you get to know people in your area, you go along to their club,.....you join their club.Hey presto! , not rocket science.

KUZTOM
05-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Does any one know how many fender exemptions there are out there :confused: just curious thats all.

Leakers
05-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Does any one know how many fender exemptions there are out there :confused: just curious thats all.

yep but she probably wont tell you!

Leakers
05-27-2008, 01:54 AM

I think I know who you are talking about, you better check with the principals of that place before you take the word of the boy! The old fellas there are real hard noses , don't like giving anything away, they recycle stamps and tea bags.

AHotrod
05-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Welcome to the forum,Old Ford. I heard it was about that ratio too, our club voted unanimasly (spelling may not be right but Noddy will correct me)for the statis quo mainly because there was no proposed format for Individual membership presented.A couple of months later it was bought up at club meeting again and some ideas that came from a zone meeting had some alternatives that looked that it might work if monitered correctly, we didnt have another vote or anything but a lot more members were warming to the idea. I started this thread so we could have a say and maybe come up with a solution.........What did happen to that club that took Individual Members...... Leakers I think you said you were in it at one stage........ I'm not apposed to individual members if there is a good structure in place, but NZ Clubs should be able to cater for most of us,because I think it is fair to say that there are clubs in NZ today that cater for anybody with an interest in HotRodding and Kustom cars and anybody who is not, maybe wouldnt join NZHRA even as a Lone Wolf........Jerry said he would so there would be one at least. Keep posting your thoughts..........Cheers.

Leakers
05-27-2008, 03:01 AM
Welcome to the forum,Old Ford. I heard it was about that ratio too, our club voted unanimasly (spelling may not be right but Noddy will correct me)for the statis quo mainly because there was no proposed format for Individual membership presented.A couple of months later it was bought up at club meeting again and some ideas that came from a zone meeting had some alternatives that looked that it might work if monitered correctly, we didnt have another vote or anything but a lot more members were warming to the idea. I started this thread so we could have a say and maybe come up with a solution.........What did happen to that club that took Individual Members...... Leakers I think you said you were in it at one stage........ I'm not apposed to individual members if there is a good structure in place, but NZ Clubs should be able to cater for most of us,because I think it is fair to say that there are clubs in NZ today that cater for anybody with an interest in HotRodding and Kustom cars and anybody who is not, maybe wouldnt join NZHRA even as a Lone Wolf........Jerry said he would so there would be one at least. Keep posting your thoughts..........Cheers.

No I was never in Nationwide Rodders, I think it morphed into Kiwi Goodguys...when the "leaders" of the club had a split with NZHRA.

Noddy
05-27-2008, 08:02 AM
No I was never in Nationwide Rodders, I think it morphed into Kiwi Goodguys...when the "leaders" of the club had a split with NZHRA.
I was in Nationwide.... The shit hit the fan after the Aotea Show. That's all I'll say as I might get sued.....

Greg, Pioneer giving dicounts to NZHRA members? Is that for real? I know you used to work there but Repco own it now and they are has hard as nails to get anything out of. We have a good relationship through the BH but it is very hard work to maintain. And there are a number if NZHRA members who manage stores around NZ... But again, Repco would be a great one to have on the NZHRA membership card - although during our meetings they told me Hot Rodders aren't their target market.... boy racers are. Hmmmmmm.

Noddy

ForEverFour
05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I was in Nationwide.... The shit hit the fan after the Aotea Show. That's all I'll say as I might get sued.....

Greg, Pioneer giving dicounts to NZHRA members? Is that for real? I know you used to work there but Repco own it now and they are has hard as nails to get anything out of. We have a good relationship through the BH but it is very hard work to maintain. And there are a number if NZHRA members who manage stores around NZ... But again, Repco would be a great one to have on the NZHRA membership card - although during our meetings they told me Hot Rodders aren't their target market.... boy racers are. Hmmmmmm.

Noddy

I think the less said about Nationwide the better.

Pioneer Speed Shop have a flat club discount not actually NZHRA specific though. Not too unlike Techbooks in Newmarket.

I have been thinking about the status of the NZHRA and spoken to alot of people about it and in particular the models of the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association and Surfing New Zealand. I knew a little more about Goodguys as I used to deal with them and their sponsorship programme when I was at Pro Topline.

There are numerous ways to create revenue with different levels of sponorship enabling quality events to be run from NZHRA in conjunction with clubs in different regions.

dclothier
05-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Noddy

Discount was offered on my Dist Cap purchase probably due to the fact that I arrived in the hotrod. I was asked what club I belonged to and when I explained I had not received my Oceanside membership card they put my purchase against another club. That was really decent of them.

If I owned that business though I would incentivise the staff to talk to customers and offer additional product. Only 1 customer's opinion I guess.

There's definitely a huge gap in the market for a supplier who gives a shit! ;)

rockabillybassman
05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
If you look at the shelves in Repco, there's precious little there for rodders anyway, it's mostly fart cans and neon light kits. What there is can usually be bought cheaper from SuperSheep anyways.

Noddy
05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
If you look at the shelves in Repco, there's precious little there for rodders anyway, it's mostly fart cans and neon light kits. What there is can usually be bought cheaper from SuperSheep anyways.
The good stuff is there - oil, filters, plugs, additives, brakes, wheel cylinders etc. And stereo systems and tools- lots of them!

Plus there is a new Repco on the Nth Shore in AK - has a fully detailed small block Chev on display....

Noddy

bgc
05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
has a fully detailed small block Chev on display....

Noddy
and yeat none of the repco's i have been to have much in stock to actually fix the damn thing with... MAYBE some spark plugs (if you are lucky)

Grabel
05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
If individual membership of NZHRA were available I would probably join. There could be a sort of 'ex-officio' membership where you dont have to attend meetings or take part in elections and admin. I realise there is no requirement for club members to take part in those issues either - but some of us like the idea of 'remote' membership. We would be accused of wanting all the advantages without contributing - but we'd be happy to pay our fees.
Perhaps the forum might be a place to start by offering such a membership and see how many take it up!!

By the way; I have no hidden agendas like fender exemptions and such.

Just a shallow thought - without putting too much effort into it - so dont shoot me!! ;)

ForEverFour
05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
What is interesting to read here is the thoughts put forward on forum alliance with the association - great stuff I say.
To take things a step further, NZHRM had strong synergy with NZHRA in the early days and it would be a good thing to see this strength back.
I am not really talking about the business relationship between NZHRM and NZHRA but more like membership incentives.
Join NZHRA today for XYZ amount and receive a subscription to NZHRM. there are plenty more ideas to stem from here.
But here is an example that I often reflect upon:
I was at the SEMA Show one year and Goodguys had a stand in Hot Rod Alley that I came across. I signed up there and then and joind the association at the show. "Here you are sir, the latest issue of the Gazette, a decal pack and a members cap", the GG's staff member said. I put the cap on and rather blown away I asked - "is this a show special or is this a regular joining gift". GG's replied - "oh all our members get that".
I saw many others wearing these Goodguys hats throughout the show - talk about slick!

rockabillybassman
05-27-2008, 01:25 PM
A Goodguys cap would be a booby prize, would'nt it?

The Voodoo Kreeper
05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
A Goodguys cap would be a booby prize, would'nt it?

nope, but a Goodguys Bra would be :D

Johnboy
05-27-2008, 03:41 PM
If individual membership of NZHRA were available I would probably join. There could be a sort of 'ex-officio' membership where you dont have to attend meetings or take part in elections and admin. I realise there is no requirement for club members to take part in those issues either - but some of us like the idea of 'remote' membership. We would be accused of wanting all the advantages without contributing - but we'd be happy to pay our fees.
Perhaps the forum might be a place to start by offering such a membership and see how many take it up!!

By the way; I have no hidden agendas like fender exemptions and such.

Just a shallow thought - without putting too much effort into it - so dont shoot me!! ;)
That's about the position I'm in now with NZHRA.......I don't like driving at night any more, the halogen lights from imports tend to dazzle me, so I don't get to the meetings.
I am fortunate in that my fellow club members (Scenic City,) are aware of my 'problem' and make allowances for me.
(Even when I initially joined, 12/15 years ago, the three compulsory meetings I attended were day runs....show and shines, grasskhanas etc.)
I do however go to as many events and runs as I can, from one end of N.Z. to the other.
I don't begrudge paying my subs., never have, never will, even my mite helps swell the coffers of the Association, thereby making it a tad stronger in protecting the rights of all hot-rodders/street-rodders from the machinations and agendas of the bureaucrats, wooden bicycle brigade, and politicians that would like to see us banned because of our "gas guzzling monsters".
Approach your local club Grabel, and sound out your local executive on your joining under a similar arrangement.
In unity there is strength, and every member makes the whole stronger.
If they'll let you, it can only be beneficial to us all.

Old Ford
05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Noddy
Yes I am new so forgive me for any typ errors I am still finding my way around the site. I have logged on previously a few times now to have a read but never submitted anything your is your view to change the mind set of the current finacial members of NZHRA who make up these clubs into thinking that they should go for individual membership. Another thought how many current members have more than one rod/cars at any one time I have had two myself once I wonder how that would change the statistic figures?

Darcy Dog
05-29-2008, 11:01 AM
We had our monthly meeting last night and talked about individual membership. Generally there was no support for that from our members for individual membership. Most of our members have been in the NZHRA for many years paying their fees, getting fuck all back for it, and are getting pretty cynical about it all now. We have not had any contact with our zone director since September last year, which is pretty piss poor when you think of the changes which have happened or being mooted. One of our members applied for a "Stock" sticker last Sept, and despite some reminders still has not got it. He has been a member for 20+ years and is at the point of pulling out of the NZHRA.

If these muppets cannot communicate with 2800 members, how the hell can they handle 10,000. The general thoughts were that the NZHRA had to first "win over" the existing members with whatever it took, discounts, much better communication, etc etc. Because if they dont, there would be no chance in hell of getting the backing ( numbers in voting ) to make changes as far as individual membership goes. As far as attaching membership to an event entry, it was seen as similar to the plastic toys in the Macdonalds "Happy Meals", cheap and nasty crap.

I was expecting that there would have been a letter from NZHRA explaining that they want to go in new direction and they want to start with employing a marketing guru, and do any clubs / members have any ideas thoughts on how the organisation could improve; but no, nothing! Fucking good start to the New Age!! Come on Daryl, I know you have just started, but communication is so bloody important.

Anyway there is another good unsanctioned run on this weekend to go to.

And by the way, last night we had two new members, both with cars join our club!!

scumdog
05-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Anyway there is another good unsanctioned run on this weekend to go to.

And there's an even better one up in Blenhiem this weekend too - and two lorries from Deltas are heading there - to a proper run, not just a 'park'n'show event.....:D

Eat THAT Mr Grizzlegrumps!! :p

CoopDevil
05-30-2008, 10:39 PM
and yeat none of the repco's i have been to have much in stock to actually fix the damn thing with... MAYBE some spark plugs (if you are lucky)Oh you guys need to go to the trade desk the stuff they have on the shelves and the front counter staff are just there for the general masses you can get a lot more stuff than you mite believe and the trade desk staff are a bit more clued up too. Go in and ask for a application for a discount card called a green card that gives you a discount not quite as much as trade discounts but not bad. I get trade discount at my local branches but if i'm out of town and need something the green card is great.

kiwimal
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
And there's an even better one up in Blenhiem this weekend too -
Went down to the local Cafe ( SH1 Woodend) this arvo for a shot as ya do on a beautiful sunny North Canterbury day and was suprised by the number of rods & tanks heading North presumably to Blenheim. Made my day & killed the afternoon very pleasantly. Blenheim should be really humming bout now.

CoopDevil
05-30-2008, 11:31 PM
I agree with most of the comments Noddy has made on here, I'm pro individual membership, I'm not interested in joining one particular club, there are nine in my town and I know people in almost all of them. I dont want to contribute money to a clubrooms, my "hotrod money" needs to go directly into my hotrod not financing a building down the road that gets used once a week. However i would like to represent hotrodding to the government by being a number and sometimes contributing an opinion. I mostly attend unsanctioned events, like musclecar madness, beach hop, rattle up and ed roth memorial. I ran two hotrods for over 5yrs fenderless on declerations and got pulled once an got off due to knowing a loophole in the system. Never had any complaints of water spray or showering stones at anyone. I have no great problem with the certification system, part from the noise bit :( .I am very appreciative of the people like TJ and what they and others have done on the past to keep hotrodding going, we are now in the PC future and the global warming green world is taking over we need to stand up and be represented in numbers and wits or hotodding will die. my work hours mean i dont get to go out on a week nite to prehaps go to a club meeting. I do get on the internet and spend a bit of time on this forum and would spend some time checking out a NZHRA site if it was improved by perhaps being a bit more interactive etc than the current one, getting an email newsletter like hellbear siad would be great too-informing us of topics of interest ie the recent noise law changes at the earlyest notice ie the minute they are suggested in the ltsa office. like someone said on here the NZHRA system can take months for things to get thru the system and back to the top again NZHRA needs to become a swift up to the minute organization.

noel
06-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Any goss on who is hosting the Nationals next year? A North Island club i assume?

Shrapnel
06-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I agree with most of the comments Noddy has made on here, I'm pro individual membership, I'm not interested in joining one particular club, there are nine in my town and I know people in almost all of them. I dont want to contribute money to a clubrooms, my "hotrod money" needs to go directly into my hotrod not financing a building down the road that gets used once a week. However i would like to represent hotrodding to the government by being a number and sometimes contributing an opinion. I mostly attend unsanctioned events, like musclecar madness, beach hop, rattle up and ed roth memorial. I ran two hotrods for over 5yrs fenderless on declerations and got pulled once an got off due to knowing a loophole in the system. Never had any complaints of water spray or showering stones at anyone. I have no great problem with the certification system, part from the noise bit :( .I am very appreciative of the people like TJ and what they and others have done on the past to keep hotrodding going, we are now in the PC future and the global warming green world is taking over we need to stand up and be represented in numbers and wits or hotodding will die. my work hours mean i dont get to go out on a week nite to prehaps go to a club meeting. I do get on the internet and spend a bit of time on this forum and would spend some time checking out a NZHRA site if it was improved by perhaps being a bit more interactive etc than the current one, getting an email newsletter like hellbear siad would be great too-informing us of topics of interest ie the recent noise law changes at the earlyest notice ie the minute they are suggested in the ltsa office. like someone said on here the NZHRA system can take months for things to get thru the system and back to the top again NZHRA needs to become a swift up to the minute organization.

Well Put.
My view on the likes of the Hop,Madness & Americarna, is that its great to see such a large influx into the sport of hotrodding. The down side to this influx is that a lot of these people DONT realise the work thats gone into keeping our sport on the road and that We "The Affiliation, The Magazines and The Promotors" need to better educate the new people in this sport, so that We "ALL ENTHUSIASTS OF OUR SPORT" can band together to assist the likes of TJ and take on the ever ending rule changes that could STOP US ALL from doing what we love,,,driving our cars!
If having individual membership along side the likes of Americarna increases the affiliations membership, thus giving us an avenue to educate the hot rod and street machine owners about the ongoing rule changes, and to give us the numbers to take on the "Rule Changers", then I For One Am All For It.

Shrapnel :cool:

3 Windows
06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi there fellow Hot Rodders.

I have followed the “Open membership” debate with interest. It seems to me that the NZHRA needs to get bigger and gain “critical mass”. But the current stakeholders don’t wish to lose control. I guess with any change there needs to be some compromises by all.

While standing behind my Lathe machining some bungs to hold my body to my chassis giving this problem some thought, one mans answer is this?

Open membership to all non-club members. With 3 elected members on the NZHRA, communicated by email to the open members. (This will not include me so it’s up to them how they do it)

Break the existing club membership in two Pre 49 (Hot Rods) and Muscle cars/ street machines. Each with 3 members on the NZHRA. This will retain the club “ownership” of the NZHRA by their shared history and common bond through the club structure.

Also possibly

Approach the NSRA to join up as well. With 3 members on the NZHRA. This may require some fence mending, but would bring the whole sport under one body, with no one body having total control.

Each “arm” of the NZHRA could control there own shows or nationals with NZHRA managing date clashes ie Pre 49 nationals, Hop, Americana. Some may say that this will fragment the sport but personally I only go to things that interest me and I think if most of you are honest where all the same.

Another option would be to allow a commercial operation like Americana or Beach Hop to administer the open membership side, This would have the benefit for the commercial operator of being “Plugged in” at both ends, ie the management of the sport and back to there members. The operator could “skim” a little of the top to offset cost’s. They also are in the perfect position to capture a large number of potential open members at their runs. They could offer a discount for there own open members, we all like a carrot to follow.

One issue is how to elect the President. The only safe way I see is for the president to be elected from the NZHRA committee. (Or you could just make me the Pres for Life) :D

One thing is sure and that is if we do nothing, the NZHRA will be marginalised to the point it becomes totally irrelevant.

My limited understanding of the NHRA and Good guys is perhaps were this could go if positive action and a common direction are not taken. With so many aircraft carriers arriving in the country it may not be long before the NZHRA is swamped with some as yet unknown entity rising up and taking over. Ie American Aircraft Carriers of NZ or AACNZ for short.

Just my thoughts and if nothing else it may spark an idea in somebody else.
I’ll now go back to my workshop.

scumdog
07-20-2008, 12:50 PM
So...any new ideas on this topic???

C Cab
07-20-2008, 08:05 PM
yes its been a while any news on whats happining

kurts c cab
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi there fellow Hot Rodders.

I have followed the “Open membership” debate with interest. It seems to me that the NZHRA needs to get bigger and gain “critical mass”. But the current stakeholders don’t wish to lose control. I guess with any change there needs to be some compromises by all.

While standing behind my Lathe machining some bungs to hold my body to my chassis giving this problem some thought, one mans answer is this?

Open membership to all non-club members. With 3 elected members on the NZHRA, communicated by email to the open members. (This will not include me so it’s up to them how they do it)

Break the existing club membership in two Pre 49 (Hot Rods) and Muscle cars/ street machines. Each with 3 members on the NZHRA. This will retain the club “ownership” of the NZHRA by their shared history and common bond through the club structure.

Also possibly

Approach the NSRA to join up as well. With 3 members on the NZHRA. This may require some fence mending, but would bring the whole sport under one body, with no one body having total control.

Each “arm” of the NZHRA could control there own shows or nationals with NZHRA managing date clashes ie Pre 49 nationals, Hop, Americana. Some may say that this will fragment the sport but personally I only go to things that interest me and I think if most of you are honest where all the same.

Another option would be to allow a commercial operation like Americana or Beach Hop to administer the open membership side, This would have the benefit for the commercial operator of being “Plugged in” at both ends, ie the management of the sport and back to there members. The operator could “skim” a little of the top to offset cost’s. They also are in the perfect position to capture a large number of potential open members at their runs. They could offer a discount for there own open members, we all like a carrot to follow.

One issue is how to elect the President. The only safe way I see is for the president to be elected from the NZHRA committee. (Or you could just make me the Pres for Life) :D

One thing is sure and that is if we do nothing, the NZHRA will be marginalised to the point it becomes totally irrelevant.

My limited understanding of the NHRA and Good guys is perhaps were this could go if positive action and a common direction are not taken. With so many aircraft carriers arriving in the country it may not be long before the NZHRA is swamped with some as yet unknown entity rising up and taking over. Ie American Aircraft Carriers of NZ or AACNZ for short.

Just my thoughts and if nothing else it may spark an idea in somebody else.
I’ll now go back to my workshop.
welcome mate

Rodbolt
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Interesting thread to read for an old kid back on a new block.
I read a ways back someone mentioned a coalition of Motorsport Clubs. Great idea. The more the merrier rule certainly applies when dealing with bureaucrats, thats how they work.
I was/am involved with the Coalition of Licenced Firearm Owners (COLFO) which is a coalition of firearms users like Hunters and Target shooters formed to represent shooters as a cohesive united body. It works, bureaucrats don't like dealing with committees, they like 1:1 meetings. If that 1 person in the meeting represents say 7500 organised people, thats mana. As the saying goes, united we stand, divided we fall. Count on that one. :D
I also fail to see how direct NZHRA membership could threaten existing clubs apart from to water down those clubs voices on the executive but that could be taken care of with a constitution change. :confused:
But then, having been lost to the fold for almost 30 years I don't know the history. Don't know wether thats good or bad..............................

Noddy
07-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Hell yeah Rodbolt!

I don't know who you are... but can relate to you 100%. How many more like us are out there? I want an organistation to represent me as a Hot Rodder - not a Club. I have nothing agaist clubs - they represent a collective. And that is fine in certain circumstances....

Cheers,

Noddy

scumdog
07-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Good sentiments Rodbolt, on that note I was reading a 1975 edition of NZHRM when Rob Campbells offer of using the mag as an official journal for HZHRA was turned down by a NZHRA club vote - maybe its time to revisit that agenda??

Shrapnel
07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Good sentiments Rodbolt, on that note I was reading a 1975 edition of NZHRM when Rob Campbells offer of using the mag as an official journal for HZHRA was turned down by a NZHRA club vote - maybe its time to revisit that agenda??

Good point scumdog
I believe NZHRM has a circulation of around 12 500 (I'm sure 4E4 or Admin will correct me if I'm wrong), thats 12 500 people who PAY for their monthly copy, thats 12 500 people who (you can bet your bottom dollar) are going to read it from cover to cover! These people arn't just hot rodders, they come a wide range of Motor Interest Sports.

Shrapnel :cool:

Rodbolt
07-28-2008, 06:55 PM
I do not want to harp on about COLFO but its a model that works. COLFO is an umbrella type organisation. If someone joins a shooting organisation such as the local of NZ Deerstalkers he or she can also add a small sum to the subs for membership to COLFO as well - most do.
Something like this for Motorsport would work just as well, since wildly disparate factions like the Scroungers and the sneezing car Drifters (for example) would still be united as a common voice but in actual practice not even acknowledge the existence of each other if they so wished.
For the record, I always intended to "come back" just happened a little earlier when my 16 year old son wanted to build a bucket. (Buckets at the Beach did its evil work) Fair enough, I thought lets get a car first then join a club but a talk to the certifier revealed we better get a club first - now we got both, a whole club and a 1/2 finished bucket. Both happy things.
At first glance i would have just joined NZHRA had that been an option, not being a very "clubby" sort of person (if you get my drift) but it now seems that clubs not the executive drive NZHRA so thats where our support should go. Maybe thats the change that makes people wary - a future NZHRA with a membership made up of non clubbies could appear to constitute a power shift threat with the NHRA dictating to clubs. Fair enough sentiment but in practicality not an issue if encompassed in the constitution so as to ensure the power base remains with the member clubs.

scumdog
07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Good comments Rodbolt, the COLFO analogy is much what I was hinting at myself in an earkier post - an umbrella linking body for ALL hobby car clubs.

dclothier
08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Interesting thread started on the Hamb with huge similarities to what has been discussed with NZHRA.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289053

KUZTOM
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Interesting thread started on the Hamb with huge similarities to what has been discussed with NZHRA.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289053
Just had a look through it all,ur right Dale,very similar things going on,just the large numbers of cars they talk about, eg 'down to 3000 cars this year' ! :eek:
The unfortunate thing is ,theres no easy 'overnight' fix to some of these issues.

ForEverFour
08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
As time ticks on in 2008 we are fast approaching the 08/09 Summer Rodding Season. I beleive that NZHRA are going through the selection process for a Commercial Development Manager and the privately promoted events are rolling on.
One question that is going on inside my mind is - "will this person be competing for sponsorship etc with these private events?"

My answer is yes. How attractive to a sponsor, would it sound to say we have around 2000 members and attract about 100-200 cars to a major national event?

In comparison to the exposure and volume of partcipants and spectators of the private events I would have to assume that NZHRA may find it difficult to raise funds for events and increased membership.

The Commercial Development Manager will also struggle to do this and perhaps work within the constitution of the association and have to answer to a committee.

Its going to be an interesting summer...

....interesting to see where we go from here.

Rodbolt
08-31-2008, 09:29 PM
I believe i quoted the old "United we Stand Divided we Fall" earlier.
It also makes me wonder who is calling the shots here. The fact is, two similar interest groups competing for the same sponsorship dollar is absolute madness. No one will win that one. NZ is just not big enough for several (what are effectively) sanctioning bodies to promote the same attraction (sport, hobby).
Reading through these threads it seems to me we all know this but the only one publicly bold enough to try to float a suggestion for a way forward is John Rae.
Yep, he's in it for a buck but so is everyone else. Get real.
I mentioned COLFO earlier as a model that works for all its interest groups.
Now have one that doesn't. Speedway New Zealand. SNZ staff have doggedly clung to and aggressively defended their bureacratic empire, having lost sight of their original charter - to facilitate Speedway in NZ. At the height of the attempts by the Fun Police to close Western Springs Speedway we had the grotesque situation of SNZ joining the nay sayers and actually putting the boot into the Springs Promoters. SNZ employees turned their guns on their "own" people. This illustrates the danger of having people draw a wage or salary from the organisation because these employees will go to great lengths to protect the rice in their bowls, never mind that the things they do are at odds with the stated or implicit aims of the organisation that employs them. In short, the position becomes bureaucratic, politicised, and extremely difficult to control, not the least because of employment legislation.

Seems to me we are all working towards the same useful result, what is lacking is someone with a bit of leadership and vision to point out just what that useful result is. None of us know yet. No one has stood up and said "this is what I think our final goal should be" (never minding the bollocks) And if whoever that is has to bang a few heads together along the way, so be it.
There will be no individual winners, we either all win or all lose this one

Nominal
08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Good points Rodbolt. A clear vision, direction, or goal does seem to be missing.

A bit like the NZHRA remits that were put forward this year - practically no explanation of what those were about.

Sarbie
09-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey there guys. I must admit that even though this thread has been running for a long time, this is the first time I have looked at it. I would like to share some of my thoughts and opinions with you and then see how many bullets I have to dodge (I’m getting real good at that) First off I must state that I believe that NZHRA are doing a wonderful job of protecting my rights as a hotrodder and that proposed new rules are kept mostly sensible by ‘negotiation’ with LTSA. I thank you one and all for holding my best interests at heart. I have not been a member of an affiliated club for some time now. The last two clubs that I was a member of folded due to lack of membership i.e. fell below the minimum membership requirement of NZHRA ( is that rule still there?) We would rope in our partners and kids to make up the numbers but the financial burden was still there. I have been a loner for many years now and have only attended non sanctioned events and there are plenty of those around. We have a small band of rodders here in Turangi. We have no clubrooms, no officers, no president, no money and nothing to argue about. We are bound together and keep in touch by means of a small club newsletter that I put out every month. We meet at my workshop every Saturday night. We are never all there at once and no one has to say sorry for not turning up. Just a bunch of guys with the same interest hanging out together and travelling away on trips and meeting rodders in other towns that think the same way. Since we formed the group we have heard of and met up with other groups that are doing the same thing (no club politics just pure old school hot rodding) all over the place. It has amazed me how many like minded people there are out there who are slipping through the net of NZHRA. I have talked about it with our group and we would all be happy to pay the equivalent of a club sub each to NZHRA to help preserve our sport. I don't think individual membership would hurt affiliated clubs and if it did then I would suggest that clubs are relying on rules and threats of exclusion to preserve there membership instead of making it a fun thing to be part of. Maybe I have just become old and crotchety but there seems to be a lot of old and crotchety rodders out there. So why not bring them all into the fold. As seems to be repeated in this thread a lot ’Safety In Numbers’ And that’s all I have to say about that. If you want to take aim and shoot now, I’m over there.

Rodbolt
09-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Well written Sarbie, and as you say, probably lots more like minded and circumstanced brothers out there. Long may you run.
An organisation like COMENZ (Coalition of Motorsports Enthusiasts of New Zealand) would represent all you Hot Rodders, the "Outlaw" dirt trackers like on Waiheke and up in Taipa, and all the other guys who just like to have fun with their like minded mates, never mind the hassle of running an incorporated society.
Standing in the way of this, perhaps, are a few extant empires with paid retainers, or at least a vested interest of some tangible or intangible sort who would see this as a threat (as i said earlier). That's all.
While it could be seen as ingratitude, we also need to have some input into groups such as the LVVTA who are "representing us" to prevent those groups becoming bureaucracies in their own turn, a clear and present danger with private lobby groups who are all too vulnerable to this hideous infection.
And of course, to show our support....................................