PDA

View Full Version : John Reid's Vandal/Black Sabbath

ForEverFour
01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Over the past few months we have been working with John and Janet Reid and also Chris Malcolm and Peter Rodgers to document the history of what has been noted as one of NZ's most iconic hot rods - Vandal - later changed to Black Sabbath.
It has been an interesting exercise and its incredible the appeal that this car still has. Below is what we ran in the January issue along with some photos that didnt make publication.

Natural talent
John Reid started out as he wished to proceed

John “JR” Reid is unquestionably one of New Zealand’s best street rod builders with a long list of award winning cars to his name and also his customers. However, what’s most interesting is that he’s always been at the top of his game, even when he built his first notable hot rod as a teenager starting out as an apprentice auto electrician for Lucas in Hamilton. The question on our mind was this – what was or who was the influence to this cutting-edge car of the era? What we’re talking about here is “Vandal”, a Dodge-based bucket that was way ahead of its time. Like most rodders, JR remembers been captivated by American rodding magazines, walking into a bookstore in Hamilton on the way home from school and seeing the American Hot Rod Magazine with the Willys coupe of Big John Mazmanian on the cover. He bought it there and then and in fact still has that magazine to this day. “That was the beginning of the end!” claims JR. Hot rods of JR’s school day memories include Kevin Free’s ’34 coupe, Tim Sanders’ 1936 roadster, Peter Olsen’s ’34 coupe, Keith McQuade’s V12 roadster, Bill Perriton’s Plymouth coupe and Graham Bell’s Model A pickup. Further fuelling of the fire was JR’s interest in early speedway with his Dad regularly taking him to Auckland’s Western Springs. Upon leaving school in 1966, JR purchased a ’39 Ford deluxe coupe and started his auto electrician apprenticeship. He drove the ’39 daily for a year or so then moved on to a lowered and dechromed mild custom Zephyr of all things, and in 1967 had joined Hamilton Hot Rod Club. What’s interesting to note here is that his parents thought that this car thing was a passing phase and that he would grow out of it. Little did they know of the national and international recognition that their son would garner for his hot rod building and fabrication! In 1968 a front half of a Dodge tourer was purchased from Glenn Free. Buckets were the in thing and the American based T-buckets of Norm Grabowski and Tommy Ivo were a major influence. But JR was looking for something different from the typical pickup bed or turtledeck rear end treatment. Again, looking to the USA, the Jokers Wild T that featured Galaxie 500 tail lights was a contender for the America’s Most Beautiful Roadster Award at the prestigious Oakland Roadster Show, and was a huge influence to the look of the hot rod that he’d eventually come to name “Vandal”. With no previous experience or mentors or the plethora of literature that we have today, JR set about constructing the chassis in his parent’s garage in 1969. “I asked the old man if I could borrow his garage for about six months and two years later we were on the road”, states JR. This was the start to a Reid tradition that stands to this day – fastidious engineering and meticulous detail. The second tradition is Pre-49 hot rods as JR was among a group of friends who got together by mid ’69 to found Riverside Rodders club in Hamilton. The chassis consisted of a 3” x 2” box section design that fellow Riversider, Frank Vincent gave a hand to weld up with his stick welder. “On apprentice wages, we all shared each other’s equipment and tools”, remembers JR. The chassis featured about a 12” kick-up for the Model A spring on an early Ford diff. As we look back through the photos of early construction, the detail was incredible with great attention to aesthetics and finish. Everything was handmade from the hairpins front and rear to the perch bolts and spring shackles, “everything that you do in the mill now I did with a file back then”. How did that come about I asked? For years JR was also the Waikato Slot Car Champ and also built model kitsets and studied the detail and some of those early AMT & Revell/Monogram kits had great detail with intricate suspension, hand formed brackets and chromed plumbing. Speaking of chrome plating, the Hamilton based Forlong & Maisey Electroplaters did everything for Vandal and Rods by Reid still uses them to this day. Around mid to late 1969, the chassis was a roller and by early 1970, the frame was in primer but had every bolt-on item chrome plated and was on display with the body alongside it later in the year at the Easter Hot Rod Show in Tauranga. School mate Terry Brightwell was responsible for all the bodywork including the custom rear section featuring handcrafted lights by JR to emulate Ford Galaxie lights. Over an 18 month period of spare time and weekends JR built the frame while Terry did the bodywork. As one would expect, the lower section of the body was rotten so Terry completely remade this incorporating a stepped-out body reveal that made a rear wheel arch line which led to a tapered and peaked theme following thru the lights and recessed number plate. – very trick by even today’s standards. The 272 Y-block came from a written-off Customline. It was rebuilt when he got it so JR just detailed it and to this day he remembers making the trip to Auckland one Friday night to purchase a brand-new Edelbrock triple carb intake when Garth Hogan, Ralph Wright and Nick Leifting were still partners in the Speed Shop. Chromed and rebuilt Holley 94’s were bolted on and topped by Cal Custom scoops that the late Paul “Nose” Flynn sent over from Australia while he was there. While attending trade school in Wellington for his apprenticeship, JR got to know Grahame Berry and Dave Chung of Berry & Chung fame. “They’d just got started and were working on the Beach Boys coupe as well as their customised shop truck, a ‘40 pickup”, remembers JR. It was this early association with Berry & Chung that led to B&C wheels, valve covers, shifter and dagger dipstick to be fitted to the primed, chromed and detailed chassis. Interestingly, around the same time JR’s trade tutor sent a letter to his parents commenting on the great automotive mind he had, if only he could get over that hot rod stuff! Just as he does now, JR had the eye for detail and also proportions and with the B&C wheels all round he felt that the frontal profile just looked too heavy so he sold the front wheels to Grant Rishton who was supposed to put them on his ’36 roadster that Grease Martin ended up with. JR then consulted Berry as to fitting wires to the front end and discarding the drum brakes. Remember that this was the trend commonplace in the USA but perhaps Vandal was the first street driven hot rod in New Zealand to run dragster-style wire wheels on the front. In his dry and monotone voice, Berry said “don’t worry, leave it to me”, making up his own hubs to accept heavy duty spokes on a 16” rim. In 1971 JR got called for three months’ compulsory military service and on his weekends he would follow up on the wire wheels with Berry. “As a broken-ass apprentice as well as having done military service, I wondered how I was going to pay for the paint and upholstery”. Although before her time, Flick adds “JR still managed to get out and party hard with his mates!” By the time the car was displayed as a primed but detailed chassis, the body was also displayed alongside it. Again, the parents’ garage was used to have local painter Peter Martin apply the Dulon Wildfire Brimstone and incidentally, it was around the same time that Terry Fergusson’s Lil Deuce Coupe was repainted. JR then asked his mother to get some lace for the flames as it wasn’t right for a bloke to be walking into shops looking for it and Peter applied the lace flames. Lionel “Arnie” James completed the interior as the car was sitting on the trailer ready to go to Napier the next morning for the Marineland Show over the New Year’s holidays of late 71 to early 72.

ForEverFour
01-27-2009, 04:23 PM
cont'd
“The Marineland Provincial Shows were run as well as some of the National Shows”, remembers JR and this particular show was the first outing for the completed Vandal. NZHRM’s Rob Campbell was one of the judges at the time and was reported to have said that the car was head and shoulders above the rest in terms of engineering. Following shows that year included the St Lukes Show in Auckland and the Bay Rodders Show at Easter and looking back at the show results, Vandal was certainly at the top of the list. The late Bill Perriton pinstriped Vandal very tastefully in white about mid 1972 and JR comments that Bill did things when he was ready so it just kinda happened that he was getting pinstriping whenever it suited Bill. As well as shows, this rod was made to go and John recalls plenty of rod runs and road trips where boys will be just that – boys! He remembers, “most runs were outa control those days, we were all single and in our late teens – early twenties”. The most memorable however was the summer holiday road trip to Autorama, where a group of guys from Auckland and Hamilton all ventured down to Christchurch for the show and then the drags the next day where JR remembers racing and beating Allen Hare’s ’34 coupe – Exterminator. Prior to Autorama in November 1972 JR attended the first National Hot Rod Run in Taupo which was a forerunner to the Street Rod Nationals in 1973. Shortly after Autorama, JR met Flick before Paul “Nose” Flynn’s wedding on February 17th 1973. This is where Flick speaks up, “I didn’t like him (JR) at first because of the antics that his group used to get up to. But something happened and we started going out and I really enjoyed going out with the hot rodders; it was so much fun!” Interestingly a school report of JR’s sums this up – “always getting into trouble and disruptive and seeking attention!” When Nose returned from Australia and got married he said there and then that the paint scheme had to go and the paint was something that JR was never totally happy with. Later in 1973, JR drove Vandal to the Bay Rodders Show over Easter and early Sunday morning he drove back up to the opening of Champion Dragway. The mayor was supposed to be given a parade lap in Vandal but due to the wet weather he ended up in John Parlane’s ’33 tudor. The day concluded with Vandal being parked in a fertilizer shed while the boys enjoyed an ale at the Mercer Pub. Vandal was driven home to Hamilton and the rebuild into Black Sabbath commenced. Next month we feature the freshly rebuilt Vandal by Buck Rodgers and Chris “Starry” Malcolm, and then we’ll follow on with the history of the same car in its Black Sabbath guise.

ForEverFour
01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Working on this research project has got me delving into old issues of NZHRM looking at show coverage and there are plenty of other cars that deserve to be recreated or restored.
Looking at early AMT model kits has been interesting to see where some of JR's influences came from.

It has been awesome for a young buck like me to see this car come to life again. Its even more impressive than I visualised thru back issues of NZHRM. What we cant show in photos is the cackle of the cammed Y Block!

dclothier
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Now that's what the mag should run on a monthly basis. Historical articles on our famous cars like that Greg. Bloody excellent!

LIFESTYLZ
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Now that's what the mag should run on a monthly basis. Historical articles on our famous cars like that Greg. Bloody excellent!

Yep.
That rod was always one of my favorites.
It was a "stand out" machine just as JR was/is a "stand out" guy.

Bring on more Nostalgia.
It is extremely inspiring...

ForEverFour
01-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Then the opportunity arose to feature the car for the current issue. No matter how many times I had seen progress shots of the car, back issues of the magazine or visited JR's place - I was not ready to be aquainted with the original car.
Visions of yesteryear run thru your mind as to what this may have been like, the response of the general public was incredible. It is a captivating car and thats how so many people respect it. Credit to JR for building an ever lasting car that is pleasing to look at as it was when it first hit the road and credit to Starry and Buck for preserving the car!

Noddy
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
As a kid I used to study photos of Vandal/Black Sabbath to appreciate the engineering and detail. This is one car that really stood out... and set the goal posts for what I want to achieve. So this car certainly influenced me when building my T Bucket...

A highlight was when I won Best Bucket at the Riverside Show in 1989 - JR was the first to come up and congratulate me. That blew me away and I was honoured to be thanked by someone I looked up to....

Thanks for sharing!

Noddy

dclothier
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
If it was in the US, this car would probably (and deservedly) feature in Rodders Journal.

Hope that someone is at the least sending them all this info/history to consider it anyway.

Huge congrats to Buck and Starry. An amazing job gents.

kool34
01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=Noddy]As a kid I used to study photos of Vandal/Black Sabbath to appreciate the engineering and detail. This is one car that really stood out... and set the goal posts for what I want to achieve. So this car certainly influenced me when building my T Bucket...

You got a bucket??? :p

KUZTOM
01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Noddy]As a kid I used to study photos of Vandal/Black Sabbath to appreciate the engineering and detail. This is one car that really stood out... and set the goal posts for what I want to achieve. So this car certainly influenced me when building my T Bucket...

You got a bucket??? :p
I knew some one was guna say that :D

jgillman
01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Yep the Vandal looks great as did TNT at MCM last weekend, Traditional Kiwi rods not clones of traditional Californian rods. Quite refreshing to see, Y blocks and all. :D

KUZTOM
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
That shot of J.R drag racing at Ruapuna ,Greg says was taken in '72 ,after The 'Autorama Show'.........geeez I was only 5 ,chances are I was there !

scumdog
01-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Black Sabbath and TNT (and I suppose Novel-T) were the ultimate to me.

I remember TNT hooning around Balclutha about 1968, coool-as.

LIFESTYLZ
01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
That shot of J.R drag racing at Ruapuna ,Greg says was taken in '72 ,after The 'Autorama Show'.........geeez I was only 5 ,chances are I was there !

I bought my first car, a '47 V8, the year you were born.
I was at Autorama too and remember seeing you there... :eek:

KUZTOM
01-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Yep the Vandal looks great as did TNT at MCM last weekend, Traditional Kiwi rods not clones of traditional Californian rods. Quite refreshing to see, Y blocks and all. :D

For the next National Show ,just think if all the 'old Rods ' that have gone through the extreme make over could be present, could be good for numbers through the gate maybe ?? just a thought ;)
Re; The National Show ,see the new Thread,dont want to hijack this one....

ForEverFour
01-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Just a few quotes from the interviews with Starry and Buck:

"We think this car and a couple of others like Wild Honey, TNT, etc really influenced early Street Rodding in New Zealand - the Autorama shows were such a big deal in those days and the glitz of all the chrome etc really led to many young guys wanting to build or drive a hot rod. I think Vandal was only shown in it's original configuration for about 2 years before being rebuilt by JR into Black Sabbath - but ask anybody that was involved in the hobby back then, they ALL remember Vandal. What I am most in awe of is the fact that JR was not much more than a teenager when he built this car - unbelievable and certainly a sign of things to come with Elderberry Wine and Bilit", comments Starry.

Whats next?
"It would be great to see Wild Honey and the likes of Road Hog back on the road again complete with Y-blocks or flatheads as they once had but restoring old show ’n go hot rods is an expensive and exacting science with lots of care and dedication required. When restoring, in our view, the vision has already been determined at the beginning, unlike creative builds where the vision is unachieved until the end. Sort of arse about face if you like", said Starry

Thought process
"First up, we believe the process starts with the realisation that any restored hot rod will never be referred to as ‘our’ car. It will always be known as John Reid’s car. Because this one is such an iconic vehicle. And fair enough.
Once that’s accepted, we believe the second process is to listen to your head not your ego or eyes. By that I mean we just can’t engineer something our way to better suit the look because we think it will look better. And there were some small things we didn’t like about her. But we live in hindsight, which includes viewing thousands more hot rod pictures and articles than John Reid would have had the luxury of at the time (although interestingly, the taillight and body swage configuration appears to have been derived from an Oakland show contender from the mid-60’s). He was after all only a teenager and hot rod magazines weren’t as plentiful then as they are now. Especially in New Zealand.
We also believe restoring a hot rod includes placing yourself as best you can in the original builders boots. This at times, as I mentioned earlier, was hard to do. For example, it was damn tempting to continue the length of the four into one header pipe all the way along the body to the rear wheel rather than cutting it shorter as original. It just looked tougher that way, in our opinion. Vandal has very little body depth and extending the header in this way we felt went someway to help fill this airy body-to-ground gap. Listening to your ego or eyes tells you to leave it long and create a better proportion of depth. Listening to your head tells you it’s about restoring the look, reproducing the car, so it requires cutting. Keeps it as a restoration rather than a cloning concept we guess", says Buck.

Buck once owned Barry Morgan's TNT so we asked him to look at both TNT and Vandal as a comparison.
"TNT was not so much a restoration as a tickle-up. A strip-down, paint and re-chrome if you like. There was no body-off to nuts and bolts detail like Vandal’s restoration. TNT was also Buck-ised with Hallcraft front wheels after viewing some Californian T-buckets on a recent trip at the time.
The similarities: both were well built by passionate and very talented teenagers. Both builders had a good eye for what constituted a hot rod (we all could learn from this even today). Both had Ford Thunderbird mills, multiple carbs, gobs of shiny bits, big ‘n littles and importantly, both sounded tough. Both had their dads involvement and both were the envy of the local lads. And no doubt both were great chick-bait weapons to boot.
My interest has always been hot rods. I believe the ‘old rods’ are the real hot rods nowadays. And without getting into too much (more) trouble I believe New Zealand hot rodders had headed away from ‘hot rods’ and favoured resto rods, street rods, street machines and yard cars. For a number of sound reasons of course. Nowadays it appears guys and girls are taking up the hot rod heritage once again which I think is great. More the merrier, for me.
So if you’re into hot rods, who wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to preserve an iconic hot rod if it came their way? Especially such a great one as Vandal. We’re just a couple of lucky old farts silly enough to stick our hands up and say ‘pick us’. Privileged really though, we think. Imagine owning Wild Honey one day to restore!
So why rebuild Vandal and not Black Sabbath? Har. We thought it would be kinda neat to have more people appreciate her early life because Vandal was only around for a short time (about 18 months we believe). We also believe that Vandal is a truer example of the hot rod genre; hairpins, lace flames, gaudy pearl-green paint.
For me it also means re-living those earlier days (albeit as a faux builder in the shadow of the John Reid’s, Barry Morgan’s and Roger Devlin’s of NZ’s hot rodding world). These youngsters were building the very cars that parents banished their daughters from riding in, let alone associating with. And now we get to be pseudo-Roger Devlin’s re-building the exact cars that once held jaw-dropped schoolboys in awe with their glitz, glammer and gas-gobbling power. We want to preserve the heritage so someone else can have the privilege of re-living the hot rod era in another forty years", says Buck

LIFESTYLZ
01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Well Said Buck.
:)

Sarbie
01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
I remember the first time I ever saw the rod as Black Sabbath it must have been around 73/74 perhaps even earlier. It was on a trailer and being towed by some kind of Mopar maybe a 37 0r 38. It was parked in the car park behind the accomadation complex of the old Turangi DB Hotel. They must have known something back then as they have now built a Burger King on the very spot ! I was really taken by the coffin handles and chrome and the fact that it was,nt a T bucket body. I guess it kick started me away from the old jalopies we used to run to high school and got me into rodding. I guess that rod has had a profound effect on a lot of people. I have a full sized poster of the car out in the shed some place so will have to go find it now and take it down to the workshop

ForEverFour
01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
As the third part to the series on Vandal/Black Sabbath, we are covering the Black Sabbath history in the March issue.

Meanwhile here are images of the Vandal feature in March 1972 and then the cover shot of Black Sabbath when it was featured in September 1975.

Which way did you guys prefer this car?

Vandal or Black Sabbath.

ForEverFour
01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Allan Porter was and still is a profilic photographer and it is incredible to think of the places he has been, people he has met and the cars he has shot over the years. These shots are from his archives. He has lots of great material!

dclothier
01-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Vandal gets my vote.

And yes. love to see more of Alan Porters work from years ago.

Mal Bain must have some cool old stuff as well.

wagons
01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Did he build it in a villa lounge like NODDY rumor told me this.....hehe :D

Rodbolt
02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, Vandal without a doubt. Back then just a few cars had so much influence on so many , myself included as a young Hamiltonian. Before Vandal, which didn't get street driven all that much, there was another black flame painted bucket with Edelbrock headed flattie, 5' long shifter with piston top, that hooned around Hamilton. Must have been 66 - 68, and that made a profound impression on us pimply schoolboys as well. I keep thinking Pete Stirling who lived up the hill from the hostabul, not sure, but.................

Depekus
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
My girls young buddy went to leave here in his Evo, wouldn't start. I said get yourself a reliable Hotrod, not some jap pusser. His reply was, I've got 1, huh, yep a T-bucket powered by a Flattie. Handed down through the family... I wonder ????

kiwijeff
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
hi guys, new to the forum. blacksabbeth was the first incarnation i saw. was around 14 and was nicely surprised to learn of vandle years later. this car greatly influenced my thinking along with rick murrys tub as that was the first hotrod i rode in. also black with flames @ the time. very exciting for a teenager and the begining of my uncureable sickness. maybe this explains why, @ 42, im still messin round with a T bucket!

KUZTOM
03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
hi guys, new to the forum. blacksabbeth was the first incarnation i saw. was around 14 and was nicely surprised to learn of vandle years later. this car greatly influenced my thinking along with rick murrys tub as that was the first hotrod i rode in. also black with flames @ the time. very exciting for a teenager and the begining of my uncureable sickness. maybe this explains why, @ 42, im still messin round with a T bucket!
Kiwipackard ,going with Rick in anything is something you will remember for ever :D

kiwijeff
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Kiwipackard ,going with Rick in anything is something you will remember for ever :D
you got that right. im scared for life and that aint a complaint. lol, i wounder how many youngsters get infected with the sickness after going for a ride in a rod? wonder how many people were infected after seein vandle and blacksabbeth? maybe thats how to get youngsters into hotrodding. could be as simple as takin em for a spin around the block! that,d blow the rice outa their ears!! :D

Rodbolt
03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Kiwipackard you are oh so right.
Rumbling happily along in an open wheel bucket or roadster on a nice day is just the recruitment tool we need.
The definitive Hot Rod for most people is something with open wheels, chrome, and wind in the hair.
Should be more of it................................................ ........

kiwijeff
03-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Kiwipackard you are oh so right.
Rumbling happily along in an open wheel bucket or roadster on a nice day is just the recruitment tool we need.
The definitive Hot Rod for most people is something with open wheels, chrome, and wind in the hair.
Should be more of it................................................ ........
maybe somebody could start something like the americans "drag safari" and tour the country in a group of buckets/roadsters promoting not only hotrodding, but safty and keeping racing @ the track.

ForEverFour
03-11-2009, 05:03 AM
That would be the dream job.
I agree with Rodbolt too with the chrome and exposed engines - hot rods looked wilder in the fifties, sixties and seventies - before we smoothed everything off and hid everything.

Re the Vandal/Black Sabbath stories - news at Rods By Reid is that the feedback generated from the three part articles has been overwhelming

ForEverFour
03-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Here is something of interest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrUwOd_lyx8&NR=1
Plus there is the Nose Flynn 39 coupe, Bill Perriton's Crown Jewel, Gary Rae's red 32 roadster as well as Vandal getting a right old dealing to!

KUZTOM
03-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Plus there is the Nose Flynn 39 coupe, Bill Perriton's Crown Jewel, Gary Rae's red 32 roadster as well as Vandal getting a right old dealing to!
Hard case , was waiting for the 39 to tip on its side,JR gave Vandal a good ol thrash :D

Hot Rod Kid
03-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Cool video... Its neat to see those Rods driving as I have only seen them in the old HRM's :cool:

kiwijeff
03-14-2009, 04:12 PM
wow, thats cool. brings back memories of the "streetkana" days when public liability wasnt an issue. good to see vandle in motion with mr reid throwin it around a little. :)

prognini
03-15-2009, 05:07 PM
wow, thats cool. brings back memories of the "streetkana" days when public liability wasnt an issue. good to see vandle in motion with mr reid throwin it around a little. :)
Boy, aint that the truth... :eek:

willy pelzers
05-09-2009, 11:51 AM
If only converting old super 8 movies onto dvd wasn't sooooo expensive
I have hours of old super 8 film some with sound of early rod events I attended including film of driving Black Sabbath . I also have film of many early shows, rodruns and early drags at Champion and Thunderpark.

If anyone out there knows someone who can convert all this film into digital please let me know as I think it's a shame these films are just sitting here in a box. Time to share them with the rest of NZ

Willy

Golly
05-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Willy , I talked to gal today that does similar processes. She has done some Super8 to DVD, but it's the ''project it on to the screen and film it with a digital camera'' style. Not the best technique obviously. But she gave me the name of another guy in NP that supposedly does a better job. Will post it here when I find out. (probably next week as it's pub night tommorrow)

naki kid
05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
If only converting old super 8 movies onto dvd wasn't sooooo expensive
I have hours of old super 8 film some with sound of early rod events I attended including film of driving Black Sabbath . I also have film of many early shows, rodruns and early drags at Champion and Thunderpark.

If anyone out there knows someone who can convert all this film into digital please let me know as I think it's a shame these films are just sitting here in a box. Time to share them with the rest of NZ

Willy
Hi you willy,buy the latest NZ shed mag and it has a story on how to get your movies on to dvd's.Done by a chap in NP.
Ray Inwood.

AMC'64
05-14-2009, 09:31 PM
It's getting sorted :cool:

willy pelzers
05-14-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks guys I'm onto it just need to sort out the film onto some separate reels and then I will be getting it onto DVD

55-440
05-15-2009, 10:12 PM

If you want the full DVD . It contains Napier airport drags, Thunder park, Mere Mere drags, The 1st Taupo to Turangi run which also features "Vandal" in the Taupo streetkana. Baloo catches everyones eye while doing 3/4 track burnouts at the Napier airport, yes napier air port drags who can remember them?

Total run time is about 45mins, & only cost a small sum of $20 plus PP

Step back in time & enjoy "Hot Rodding in the 70s"

ForEverFour
01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Vandal will be appearing at the Hot Rod Blow Out this year along with 2x models of the car by Grahame Berry.

One of the many special things that will be happening at the Scroungers Hot Rod Blow Out - Easter Sunday - Rosebank Road, Avondale

oldrodder
02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
I've moved it to this section

ForEverFour
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60/Stroker32/IMG_1066.jpg