PDA

View Full Version : Individual Membership ?

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Has there been any progress on this ?
Is it still being spoken about ?
Is there really enough people keen on this to warrent it ?
Could this be managed and run effectively through a web-site, forum, E-zine type deal ?

I'm not trying to stir shit or upset anyone here, but I do believe it is a topic worthy of more open discussion.

Shrapnel :cool:

Noddy
05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
BRING IT ON! Please....

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
BRING IT ON! Please....

That's "OH SO CONSTRUCTIVE" Nodz :D

Come-on mate ,,, How do you/we/us/nzhra do this apart from making it Open To All ?
How do we control it ? for eg. If your a member of a club, you start doing burnouts in the middle of main street NZ in front of the public just for the hell of it, bringing the hobby into "disrepute" , you can (and it has been done) be kicked out of the club/affiliation (usually after being told "that sort of thing is not done") .
How do You/We/Us/Affilitation control these "situations/people" ?

Come on ,,, I'm a great believer of "There's No Such Thing As A Silly Idea". What may seem to be a silly idea can often lead people down the track of what can be A Great Idea , and it often only takes "One Word".

We've all got nothing to lose by putting ideas forward, if in fact, IF this is whats wanted.

Keep It On Track , And Open To Others Idea's.

Thumper
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Ahem, just fitting my flame suit.
I know of more rodders or american car owners that have no intention of joining a hot rod club, but are willing members of email or text "clubs" which organise adhoc small events, runs or gatherings.
It's this sector that could be drawn into NZHRA, but the only way to enable this is to provide some benefit or assurance that their needs would be represented by an oficially recognised body within the governmental lobby framework thereby protecting their hobby.
Another incentive is by way of discount for gas, insurance or a loyalty card system.
As far as the disreputable concern, this can be worked out in a way that can be agreed upon, using the probational period system that most clubs operate now.
In my opinion, there is more to be gained by introducing it than not, and I have to admit to a change in that opinion, I once thought that there was nothing broke so why fix it.
In our club, we have had more members join recently than ever, but I think that this suggests enthusiasm gained from attendance to the big events such as Americarna and Beach Hop and the lack of suitable forums to enjoy their new toys, so it's a rod club atm by default, but we have found that these members are invariably the most active.

LIFESTYLZ
05-18-2009, 05:30 PM
and it often only takes "One Word".

My "One Word" is the same as Noddys.

Bring it on........

LIFESTYLZ
05-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Shrapnel
Who notifies the club if one of their members is misbehaving?

A simple suggestion here but wouldn't that very same thing happen
if an individual member misbehaves? ie NZHRA being the "club" and taking the call and dealing with it just as a club would..

Or is that really too simple?

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Thumper ... Great Post . Dont stop there ! :)

Lifestylz ... same as Nodz ! Hmmm :rolleyes: You know you've something contructive to say ! :)

Lifestylz ... I'm not sure who notifies tha club, usually word of mouth I guess. Example I Gave was just that,,, an example. BUT ,,, I do believe the last thing we would all want is whats been happening with the Fast 4 Guys & Gals, that being a bad few setting the wrong example and the rest of them recieving the negative press.
At least with the club scene, there's a certian amount of meetings and discussion regarding new members no to mention a certian amount of educating as to why we have , Cert, Probation, How were scene in the eye of public, fender exemptions etc etc,,, its not just a case of "sign-up and your in" .

I dont know if it would be that simple !

Keep it up dude.

Cheers Shrapnel

Noddy
05-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Just my 2c - and to wind things up a bit.

How many members has the NZHRA kicked out for doing a skid in the past 5 years?

Is it the role of the NZHRA to kick members out for doing a skid? Because it brings Hot Rodding into disrepute? What if they were caught by the Cops doing a skid in their everyday Jappa? Would they be kicked out then?

What's next? If you get caught speeding by the Cops in your Hot Rod are you then kicked out of the NZHRA as well? Which is more serious - a static burnout in a quiet street or doing 120kph on the open road?

If a non-NZHRA person did a skid in their Hot Rod then how would the public now if they were NZHRA or not?

Let's take a wider look - a rugby club member gets into a punch up at the pub on a Friday night - not in club colours or anything. Are they banned by the NZ Rugby Union?

Thumper - YOU NAILED IT BUDDY! Excellent post and my sentiments exactly...

Nodz.

Noddy
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Here's a hypothetical situation...

What if a high profile convicted Boy Racer, who gained a lot of national publicity for being a hoon, brought a fenderless Hot Rod and applied to the NZHRA for a fender exemption?

Would the NZHRA grant him one? What does it take to NOT be granted one?

Be interesting to see how the NZHRA would act in this situation.

Rodbolt
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Thumpers comments that we (sorely) need a group working within the lobby framework to represent us to Government is right on the money. We don't have that now, and never have.

Another facet to consider is, should the NZHRA open membership, does that association have the resources to constitute an effective lobby group for car enthusiasts in general?

The answer lies in considering what it would take for the NZHRA to move to open membership. Now I haven't read the constitution of the NZHRA but its easy money betting that the constitution would need a major re-jig to encompass opening the membership. Changes to an incorporated society constitution generally require a substantial majority at an AGM, like 90% or so. That means the member clubs voting for something to their detriment, real or perceived, and that, folks, is just not going to happen.

So the answer is, no, the NZHRA does not have the resources to constitute an effective cross board lobby group. Its a Hot Rod association made up of member clubs of Hot Rodders and thats the way its going to stay. Not such a bad thing either.

We need a new vehicle but we won't get it by facelifting old Ma NZHRA, too many people like the old girl the way she is.

ForEverFour
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
A few years a go I had a chat with a very influential man within our industry and he suggested that we needed something like SEMA in New Zealand and when one thinks about what SEMA offer aside from their major trade show in Vegas it is something that could be put into service here. Something that could encompass every automobile club, association and industry and businesses within and promote on a more mainstream national level and also a global level. Not to mention the government lobbying.

Noddy
05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
A few years a go I had a chat with a very influential man within our industry and he suggested that we needed something like SEMA in New Zealand and when one thinks about what SEMA offer aside from their major trade show in Vegas it is something that could be put into service here. Something that could encompass every automobile club, association and industry and businesses within and promote on a more mainstream national level and also a global level. Not to mention the government lobbying.
We already have the Federation of Motoring Clubs in New Zealand.... does it just need a shake up? Maybe individual membership at this level? Now there is a thought!

http://www.fomc.co.nz/about.html

Noddy

Hot Rod Todd
05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Hypothetical situation Noddy?

Last i heard he cant even register his LHD car, let alone apply for a fender exemption

But we hot rodders are a foregiving bunch, so we will let all sorts have fun with cars :)

Hot Rod Todd
05-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Noddy, why dont you form an email hotrod club?

Let all join (but like the Bucketeers in the USA) with minimal club fees and have no meetings. Affiliate to NZHRA and have somebody (you) do the admin and seen out a monthly email to the members. flog off t shirts and hats to cover webhosting fees and go from there.

theres no fender exemption issues as thats covered off by the Zone Director.

Do a good job and the group will grow faster than a T bucket with a blown Hemi. :D

with the emails, its no longer a costly exercise to communicate with the new, nationwide membership.

Cheers
T bucket Todd

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 09:25 PM
OK , maybe the "doing a burnout" was the wrong example, but first to come to mind. However Nodz, I'm sure I cant join the NZRFU, then rock on up to a game and join in, expecting a game, without being part of a team ! HeHeHe. :D

I honestly dont know the answer's as to why Indivdual Membership Can or Cant happen. I dont know why current members would be "for" or "against" it.

I'd like to hear reasons as to why its a bad idea, I'm sure too, so would the people running NZHRA

I dont think a pertrol discount is the best way ot entice members reason's being already mentioned. I believe an Insurance company is already or about to be on-board with NZHRA offering great discounts to members.

How bout discounted entry to The Hop, Americarna, or Mussel Car Madness for NZHRA members, how would that go with the promoters ?

Interesting question on the "hoon's fender exemption" Nodz. Currently its up to the club committie to advise NZHRA that the applicant is a responceable driver and of sound chracter, then the NZHRA decide from there ,,, I Think !

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM

Let all join (but like the Bucketeers in the USA) with minimal club fees and have no meetings. Affiliate to NZHRA and have somebody (you) do the admin and seen out a monthly email to the members.

Didnt we have that with Nationwide Rodders ? why were they shut down ? Wasn't that basicly an individual membership club ?

Rodbolt
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
SEMA isn't a lobby group. Its a manufacturers association. We don't need one of those, the Trade can organise one themselves if they want.

Todd the chances of an internet club being accepted as a affiliate of the NZHRA are slightly more remote than individual membership becoming a happening thing.

What we need is a lobby group and watchdog to represent our rights to the politicians that matter. Well organised, presented and informed with a good member base behind it. Most importantly, well funded. This sort of thing costs money to present in a credible manner.

ForEverFour
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Hypothetical situation Noddy?

Last i heard he cant even register his LHD car, let alone apply for a fender exemption

But we hot rodders are a foregiving bunch, so we will let all sorts have fun with cars :)

Joke right?????

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Joke right?????

After a lengthy talk with ya dad ,,, I'd Hope So !

scumdog
05-18-2009, 09:53 PM
So if we ALL end up as individual members who would be the people organising Nationals etc?

A profit orientated promoter?

Just tossing the question out there...

Hot Rod Todd
05-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Okay, maybe I misunderstood Noddys comments. His hypothetical situation kind of resembled the situation a mate of mine found himself in a while back.

But if its hypothetical, then I apologise to all concerned.

Noddy
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Let all join (but like the Bucketeers in the USA) with minimal club fees and have no meetings. Affiliate to NZHRA and have somebody (you) do the admin and seen out a monthly email to the members. flog off t shirts and hats to cover webhosting fees and go from there.

theres no fender exemption issues as thats covered off by the Zone Director.

Do a good job and the group will grow faster than a T bucket with a blown Hemi. :D

with the emails, its no longer a costly exercise to communicate with the new, nationwide membership.

Cheers
T bucket Todd
Anthing is possible Todd! But hell - I have a lot on my plate as it is - and I'm not even a profit hungry promoter! Despite MANY rumours - the Beach Hop is 100% non profit and I have never been paid a cent...

And I can belong to a Rugby Club without being a player... And be an individual member of Surfing NZ. I wonder who "polices" their members?

Why re-invent the wheel - the Federation of Motoring Clubs is already there. Take over anyone?

Nodz

Hot Rod Todd
05-18-2009, 10:08 PM
I just figured that an email based club would meet the current NZHRA affiliated club requirements, while being loose enough to meet the needs of individuals who either cant or dont want to be involved in their local clubs.

I suggested you Noddy because people actually know who you are and that helps a lot at the start.

And you possibly have an awesome database of people who might want to join.

Cheers
Todd

kelzweld
05-18-2009, 10:48 PM
I just figured that an email based club would meet the current NZHRA affiliated club requirements, while being loose enough to meet the needs of individuals who either cant or dont want to be involved in their local clubs.

I suggested you Noddy because people actually know who you are and that helps a lot at the start.

And you possibly have an awesome database of people who might want to join.

Cheers
Todd
Here you go HRT. Video conference for number 2 maybe. I belong to a club but an individual thing would probably better suit my lifestyle.

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
So if we ALL end up as individual members who would be the people organising Nationals etc?

A profit orientated promoter?

Just tossing the question out there...

Maybe the NZHRA would become a Profit Orientated Promoter ! just seconding your "tossing the question out there"

Shrapnel
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Okay, maybe I misunderstood Noddys comments. His hypothetical situation kind of resembled the situation a mate of mine found himself in a while back.

But if its hypothetical, then I apologise to all concerned.

Thought it might be a little misunderstanding. :)

trouble with 'email, forums, and texting ,,, words and meanings can get lost in translation :D

KUZTOM
05-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Anthing is possible Todd! But hell - I have a lot on my plate as it is - and I'm not even a profit hungry promoter! Despite MANY rumours - the Beach Hop is 100% non profit and I have never been paid a cent...
And I can belong to a Rugby Club without being a player... And be an individual member of Surfing NZ. I wonder who "polices" their members?

Why re-invent the wheel - the Federation of Motoring Clubs is already there. Take over anyone?

Nodz
Noddy , surely you get something out of it ,and so you should,its a bussiness ,I have No problems what so ever with guys getting off their arse's ,promoting events ,running them and reaping the rewards ! good on them I say ;)

rodzsouth
05-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Noddy , surely you get something out of it ,and so you should,its a bussiness ,I have No problems what so ever with guys getting off their arse's ,promoting events ,running them and reaping the rewards ! good on them I say ;)

dead right, we all know how much of a bagging Stottle gets over running Muscle car madness but he is the one taking the risk if it rains..all his suppliers still want paid no matter what.
same deal will apply for Kumeu, Americana and beach hop

on one hand its a great idea having private promoters running events, on the down side...a promoter is only going to run events in well populated locations so clubs would still have to be involved if they want events in balclutha or wherever as it would not be financially viable for a business exercise.

KUZTOM
05-18-2009, 11:23 PM
dead right, we all know how much of a bagging Stottle gets over running Muscle car madness but he is the one taking the risk if it rains..all his suppliers still want paid no matter what.
same deal will apply for Kumeu, Americana and beach hop

on one hand its a great idea having private promoters running events, on the down side...a promoter is only going to run events in well populated locations so clubs would still have to be involved if they want events in balclutha or wherever as it would not be financially viable for a business exercise.
ISNT there a Nationals there soon ? :D

rodzsouth
05-18-2009, 11:28 PM
ISNT there a Nationals there soon ? :D

Well its called the Delta Nationals isnt it ????????????

Noddy
05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Nope! Not a single penny. We are TOTALLY 100% non-profit. At least the past 2 years I have been re-imbursed for most of my expenses - phone bills and petrol etc. I do it for the community and love of cars - and to have fun!

Nodz

Shrapnel
05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Nope! Not a single penny. We are TOTALLY 100% non-profit. At least the past 2 years I have been re-imbursed for most of my expenses - phone bills and petrol etc. I do it for the community and love of cars - and to have fun!

Nodz

This being the case then Nodz, isint it about time someone else in your Communitty/Council created a job for you , thus helping to offset any costs to yourself. I believe Taupo has a number of people employed with their main focus being sure there is an event of some sort on every weekend, thus bringing income into Taupo. Surely people in Whanga's can see how much income "the Hop" brings in !

Shrapnel
05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
We already have the Federation of Motoring Clubs in New Zealand.... does it just need a shake up? Maybe individual membership at this level? Now there is a thought!

http://www.fomc.co.nz/about.html

Noddy

went and had a look Nodz, under "how to join"

If you would like to join our organisation, please print out our Application for Membership form below, fill it in and post it to us along with your remittance.

Click here to display the Application for Membership form (PDF file 84kb)

Please note, the Federation of Motoring Clubs does not accept individuals as members.

dclothier
05-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I do it for the community and love of cars - and to have fun!

Nodz

And your personal commitment to keeping Celine's music alive! :eek:

46ford
05-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Awww gaawwd ! don't go there again please :eek:

Noddy
05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
This being the case then Nodz, isint it about time someone else in your Communitty/Council created a job for you , thus helping to offset any costs to yourself. I believe Taupo has a number of people employed with their main focus being sure there is an event of some sort on every weekend, thus bringing income into Taupo. Surely people in Whanga's can see how much income "the Hop" brings in !

Nice thought Shrapy, and I can assure you we try! But... Whanga is waaaaaaay smaller than Taupo and doesn't have anywhere near the number of businesses.... There ain't no local governement funding here for events like the BH...

Noddy
05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
went and had a look Nodz, under "how to join"

If you would like to join our organisation, please print out our Application for Membership form below, fill it in and post it to us along with your remittance.

Click here to display the Application for Membership form (PDF file 84kb)

Please note, the Federation of Motoring Clubs does not accept individuals as members.

Think outside the square - couldn't a Nationwide Rodders type club be formed, that isn't NZHRA affliated, but belongs to this organisation? Look at what they claim to have lobbyied for... does any other car association do this?

Or take over and change to consitution so it can include individuals.

Noddy

Noddy
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Bugger off Clothier! :p

ForEverFour
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
With all due respect things appear to be quieter from the assoc since new blood has come in. Is that because things are getting tirelessly looked at or changed or is it because the current infrastructure wont enable the required change.......

dclothier
05-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Most of the Fed of Mot likely think us hot rodders a bunch of misfits who have never grown up. Whilst that might be 95% correct :o I think they would be unhappy to have non single marque groups attached to them. Those of us that have experienced being a member of a single marque club will probably know what I mean. They look down their noses at hot rodders.

dclothier
05-19-2009, 10:57 AM
With all due respect things appear to be quieter from the assoc since new blood has come in. Is that because things are getting tirelessly looked at or changed or is it because the current infrastructure wont enable the required change.......

Good point Greg.
Was kinda expecting more transparency from Daryl and John. :confused:
Maybe you have to attend club meetings to find out.

rodzsouth
05-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Good point Greg.
Was kinda expecting more transparency from Daryl and John. :confused:
Maybe you have to attend club meetings to find out.

so is there any truth in the rumours that NZHRA have purchased a hotrod to raffle ?????

ForEverFour
05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
so is there any truth in the rumours that NZHRA have purchased a hotrod to raffle ?????

I hope not
I think there are more important matters to worry about before this happens

rodzsouth
05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I hope not

have heard the rumour several times at this end of the country

TONTO
05-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope not

Yeah 4e4, I'm with you on that.
Recent 'raffled rods' may have mudd'd the waters, so to speak. Hope they arn't driving down THAT road!!!
This coming AGM will be interesting .... for sure.
Here's hoping for clear and level headed reasoning.

KUZTOM
05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah 4e4, I'm with you on that.
Recent 'raffled rods' may have mudd'd the waters, so to speak. Hope they arn't driving down THAT road!!!
This coming AGM will be interesting .... for sure.
Here's hoping for clear and level headed reasoning.

Hey leave me out of it Tonto........Steve Waters aka Muddy Waters :D

Hey ,but I agree with ya,The new fella John use to come on here ,why dosent he contribute on the forum anymore.
May have thought he was in for a rough ride perhaps :confused:

Shrapnel
05-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey leave me out of it Tonto........Steve Waters aka Muddy Waters :D

Hey ,but I agree with ya,The new fella John use to come on here ,why dosent he contribute on the forum anymore.
May have thought he was in for a rough ride perhaps :confused:

Would be good to get "some" feedback on this topic from "any" of the NZHRA front bench.

Its a Non-Mud-Slinging topic that deserves input from all angles ,, For and Against !

Noddy
05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Lots of rumours flying around at the moment. Heard this one yesterday - NZHRA are going to hold a new event at Mystery Creek near Hamilton to take on the likes of Kumeu, Americarna and Beach Hop. It was said they have a hang up with others making money off Rodders. Gee, I wonder how many entrants at those events are NZHRA members?

I cant really speak for other events - the BH as non profit - our goal is to break even and thankfully we do each year - just. Not sure what Americarna's books look like, but Craig Stare & Ken Galvin don't exactly act like a millionaires!

Unfortunately many non NZHRA events have crashed and burned which isn't good for the scene - 2 Hot 2 Handle, Automania are just 2. I believe NZHRA should focus on supporting existing clubs run top class club run events - look at what Marineland just did? And the Stragglers in Hamilton put on a great event each year. More of that kind of thing will make the clubs wealthier and stronger.

NZHRA is a assoication of Hot Rod and Custom Clubs in NZ - not individuals. A nationwide individual membership club could be an option - but then it would probably end up having more members than any other club and therefore become very powerful - and that would upset some of the established clubs.

So I don't really know the answer - there are a ton of enthusiasts who are new the scene - they've brought a 50/60s car in from the USA to go to events like the BH, Americarna etc. They don't know about the NZHRA or see any point of joining as they don't own a Hot Rod. But look at the growth in clubs such as the American Muscle Car Club, Mustang Club, Corvette Club etc.

Confused... :confused:
Nodz

KUZTOM
05-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Craig Stare & Ken Galvin don't exactly act like a millionaires!

And DONT look like it ! hahah(sorry Ken ,that was aimed at Craig)

infinity
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi Everyone..

Hot topic again!!!!

“Membership” has been a constant issue raised whenever I have talked to NZHRA members.

I have always responded that this issue is a valid and important one, and further that the process will determine the quality of the final direction.

The association was founded and operates today as a collective resource for the affiliated clubs (and members). Therefore, the Association itself must be thriving, to enable robust and focused debate and consultation on its future directions.

This focus for NZHRA’s commercial well being could be described as somewhat "neglected" or even "wayward" over recent years and events (and some may say longer).

Therefore the NZHRA is making the investment, via the CDM position, to build a foundation to facilitate such vital and strategic communication and direction decisions on behalf of the members.

To this end of a thriving NZHRA foundation, the NZHRA Executive has a working Business Plan with focus on:
- new and existing income streams
- establishing multiple communication channels
- planning and initiating membership etc strategic conversations and ensuing NZHRA direction decisions.

This will empower the Association to be able to reflect, and be of service to, the members for which it serves.

Said another way, the NZHRA are firstly making this Association a strong entity (under its current mandate) that will be required to identify, protect and deliver its members vision and wishes.

John
CDM
NZHRA

KUZTOM
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
John , so is this raffle rumour true or false :confused:

Noddy
05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Everyone..

Hot topic again!!!!

“Membership” has been a constant issue raised whenever I have talked to NZHRA members.

I have always responded that this issue is a valid and important one, and further that the process will determine the quality of the final direction.

The association was founded and operates today as a collective resource for the affiliated clubs (and members). Therefore, the Association itself must be thriving, to enable robust and focused debate and consultation on its future directions.

This focus for NZHRA’s commercial well being could be described as somewhat "neglected" or even "wayward" over recent years and events (and some may say longer).

Therefore the NZHRA is making the investment, via the CDM position, to build a foundation to facilitate such vital and strategic communication and direction decisions on behalf of the members.

To this end of a thriving NZHRA foundation, the NZHRA Executive has a working Business Plan with focus on:
- planning and initiating membership etc strategic conversations and ensuing NZHRA direction decisions.

This will empower the Association to be able to reflect, and be of service to, the members for which it serves.

Said another way, the NZHRA are firstly making this Association a strong entity (under its current mandate) that will be required to identify, protect and deliver its members vision and wishes.

John
CDM
NZHRA
Geez John - with all due respect, you are talking to Hot Rodders here, and not marketing business type people. I didn't understand a bloody word of that! Please keep it simple and plain English..... :rolleyes:

Noddy

KUZTOM
05-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Must be true then ! 40k ,Model 'A' Roadster :confused:

Shrapnel
05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Everyone..

Hot topic again!!!!

John
CDM
NZHRA

Hi John , thanks for the post , but to be honest,yeah, in a more understandable language would be great.
As the topic started, where does this leave the issue of Individual Membership please.

Cheers
Shrapnel

Thumper
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Geez, turn your back and look what happens!
Firstly, with regard to NZHRA acting as a lobby agent.
Noddy, Rodbolt, Dale, Greg and others. You all have good points to make and I guess it comes down to whether NZHRA will evolve into a fully professional (use that term loosely because it's opposite of amateur, not meant to imply not) organisation capable of lobbying re hotrodding issues and with due respect to the office bearers, each has a living to make and our hobby and this does impact on time available to lobby etc, Noddy will attest to how much time it takes to undertake any interest or promotion such as BH.
I guess, it could be considered that the NZFOMC Inc is a way of obtaining lobbyship, but also with due respect to them, I think they don’t consider us as being part of their scene, (a picture of a ‘40’s Chevrolet truck is meant to represent us?).
Hotrodding is unique, we are unique in the way we think, from rat rods, trad rods, street machines, customs, stock American or mod rods, even drag racing all have little issues that could be affected with one stroke of a NZTA pen, they could harm our hobby and demean all the good agreements e.g. fender less exemptions, so is it expected by the members, that NZHRA needs to evolve into a body that can act on their affected areas? Unfortunately it will cost money, so would it work if a member’s levy or company sponsorship could contribute to enable a full time officer to be employed able to fulfil lobbyist roles and have a reporting website able to inform of progress of the issues.

We own a Corvette as well as our 57 Chevrolet and are members of a Corvette Club so we have been party to the LH drive legislation lobbying updating process. The NZ Corvette Club has no in house lobbyist, just a member who acts as a spokesman, so it came down to someone taking it on, which happened to be the NZ Mustang Club.
This points out that no common lobby point exists, and it’s time that we adopt a stance like SEMA do, who have a watch group and act accordingly to keep the madness at a controllable level.
I may be out of line here and I include myself in this category, but we as Kiwis, always take the easy way out, and it’s always some else’s problem until it directly affects us, then we act, usually too late. The efforts of the LVVTA are to be commended, however, but what if the make up of that group should change by resignation, retirement or due to pressure from other groups?

Secondly, back to individual NZHRA membership concerns. Members should need to qualify using a matrix covering interests, car or project ownership, maybe a minimum age; some proof of integrity e.g. a long term member to validate the applicant.
Sorry for the long post :o

TONTO
05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Some nice points there Thumper.
I must say that most of ‘us’ should know how it is, and be a little worried about future restrictions that may (will) be placed on us.
Carefully governed individual membership MUST be the way to go.
We need good strong numbers with a common interest.
As a proud member or NZHRA I hope that by now there has been correspondence by the Association with most , or all, of the other various groups associated with this ‘Federation of motoring clubs NZ’ in regard to lobbying the sandal wearers in the Wellington ‘round house’
If this 'Federation' is likely 'flat' then dropkick them, and we'll go it alone.

John ... "the CDM position" ??

Rodbolt
05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
An association or confederation of clubs may not get the job done. Too cumbersome.

A coalition group made up of a representative from each interested car enthusiast body and supported by individual members and perhaps the odd donation would elect a small 2 or three person lobbying committee to take the wishes and concerns of the members to the target politicians.

Changing or altering an extant group won't work. Lets face it.

But IMHO if we ever need a buzzword mangling bulls$%T artiste, we know where to find one now............................................... ...

rodzsouth
05-19-2009, 07:19 PM

so where has johns second post gone ??? removed ????
the one where he confirmed that the association has purchased
a car to raffle

( john from nzhra )

WHOOPS just found it in a new thread from NZHRA.........

noel
05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi Everyone..

Hot topic again!!!!

John
CDM
NZHRA

OK, I had to read this a few times so I could understand it. John were you a politician before you got this job? :)

Heres my take on what you said (in english).

-The association was made to represent all the clubs that pay into it.
-For a while the clubs have been moaning about the lack of direction NZHRA has.
-John was hired to help communication, help develop a business plan and look at NZHRA's future direction.

I would like to know what that business plan is (does it involve individual memebership) and NZHRA's future direction is?

Nominal
05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I would like to know what that business plan is (does it involve individual memebership) and NZHRA's future direction is?

Well, as an NZHRA member, through an affiliated club, I would hope that the NZHRA has a workable business plan for itself and its members. I'm not really sure that heading off in the direction of individual membership is a logical way to achieve that.

In either case, it is something that needs to be addressed through the NZHRA and the clubs I would have thought (there are rules and a constitution to work within after all), and not promoted directly through an internet forum.

Rodbolt
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Well, as an NZHRA member, through an affiliated club, I would hope that the NZHRA has a workable business plan for itself and its members. I'm not really sure that heading off in the direction of individual membership is a logical way to achieve that.

In either case, it is something that needs to be addressed through the NZHRA and the clubs I would have thought (there are rules and a constitution to work within after all), and not promoted directly through an internet forum.

Right on, Nominal. Individual membership can never benefit the existing members.

Another good point, although most of us here are NZHRA members (aren't we?) any input we effectively have into this comes via our clubs representatives and then only after discussion at comittee level. So while its an interesting topic to discuss, thats all we can do here, so no harm doable.

infinity
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi,

Looks like you guys are getting the distinction between "Forum" where the gloves are off and free speach and digs are all part of the fun :) vs. my job of developing and guiding an organisations financial long term existance.

Hence my first detailed answer so as to not be misquoted, nor too simplified as to create and fuel debate in other (misunderstood) directions..

Besides, I wouldn't want to make it too easy for you blokes and blokesses - otherwise I couldn't justify my salary.....

Bit more simply now:
- The association was made to represent all the clubs that pay into it.
- For a while clubs have been moaning about the lack of direction NZHRA has.
- CDM was hired to help communication, help develop a business plan.
- Once the business plan kicks in, NZHRA and members will all look at NZHRA's future direction.

Thanks Noel :))

Happy posting you all!

John
CDM
NZHRA

scumdog
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Well its called the Delta Nationals isnt it ????????????

Ah, 'Nats' actually, just Nats, don't want to over-excite the troops ya know! :D

KUZTOM
05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi,

Looks like you guys are getting the distinction between "Forum" where the gloves are off and free speach and digs are all part of the fun :) vs. my job of developing and guiding an organisations financial long term existance.

Hence my first detailed answer so as to not be misquoted, nor too simplified as to create and fuel debate in other (misunderstood) directions..

Besides, I wouldn't want to make it too easy for you blokes and blokesses - otherwise I couldn't justify my salary.....

Bit more simply now:
- The association was made to represent all the clubs that pay into it.
- For a while clubs have been moaning about the lack of direction NZHRA has.
- CDM was hired to help communication, help develop a business plan.
- Once the business plan kicks in, NZHRA and members will all look at NZHRA's future direction.

Thanks Noel :))

Happy posting you all!

John
CDM
NZHRA
My heads hurting now....... :D

Shrapnel
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Secondly, back to individual NZHRA membership concerns. Members should need to qualify using a matrix covering interests, car or project ownership, maybe a minimum age; some proof of integrity e.g. a long term member to validate the applicant.
Sorry for the long post :o

Well put Thumper. About 6 years ago when I was between clubs (a shift from Bay of Plenty to Wellington) I had a discussion with a couple of people about a club that was (for want if a term) a "nation wide" club. Some points we talked about was as you've mentioned with long term OR even previous NZHRA membership. Trouble with this is, there a bunch of new enthusiastes (spell check :confused: ) who wouldn't fall under this criteria, how do we help these people to join?

I certianly dont know all (or any) of the answers regarding Individual Membership, but for my own personal reasons, am keen to see it happen. There of course can be plenty of good reason for it not to happen which is why I thought we'd re-visit this topic, and see all view's "for and against"

Nationwide Club ,,, what happend with this club ? Why does it no longer exist ? what were the faults (if any) with this club and can they (faults) be fixed ?

If Individual Membership cant be run by NZHRA itself, is the NZHRA prepared to assist in the setting up and running of a "nation wide" club that as per other clubs, falls under the NZHRA ?

Sorry Guy's and Gal's,,,more questions than answers, just trying to keep topic on track and really find out where we're at with it.

Cheers

Nominal
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
There were are few comments on Nationwide in the last discussion on individual membership. Sounds like it is a touchy subject ...

http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=43859&highlight=Nationwide#post43859

Shrapnel
05-20-2009, 02:09 PM
There were are few comments on Nationwide in the last discussion on individual membership. Sounds like it is a touchy subject ...

http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=43859&highlight=Nationwide#post43859

Cheers for that Nominal. I'll go and have a read up .

In No Way Shape or Form do I use the questions I post about Nationwide Rodders in a "Finger pointing manor", but more of a "can we learn from them" , trying to put a pozitive spin on it you mite say.

For those who I've upset by this, Ill say my sorry's now.

I hope you will all have noticed my use of "nation wide" as in two words and not in reference to the club, and will instead use the words "country wide"

Shrapnel
05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Interesting, (not that there was much said about Nationwide for reasons known to others) , interesting that this time last year, this topic was in full swing, and that by late september the topic had stopped, with no real outcome ! plenty of thoughts and sugesstions.

Hmmmmmmmm ,,, perhaps we're flogging a dead horse !

Hot Rod Todd
05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
To be fair Shrappy, putting those who want individual membership, into a "Countrywide" club probably wouldnt actually meet their needs either. Because then they would be in a club. And apparently, thats not so good.

even if it was a "pay your clubfees to get a logon to our website and pay the NZHRA their bit" kind of deal, it wouldnt suit them.

They have discovered that they CAN be hot rodders without contributing to the NZHRA.

I suspect that if those not in clubs were hoons (like we all can be at times) that whether or not they had an NZHRA sticker on their car, they would be called hot rodders by the media

I think the NZHRA has more to gain thru allowing individual membership than it has to lose by introducing it. If clubs had a mass exodus because of it, then maybe they arent meeting the needs/objectives/goals of their clubmembers.

ForEverFour
05-20-2009, 03:29 PM
The current infrastructure of NZHRA is not set up to include Individual Membership due to the club to zone director to executive structure it has.

Suggestions are being made to look at Goodguys in the USA as to where NZHRA should head offering event packages for members that offer added value to sponsors etc

BUT, Goodguys is not made up of clubs and many feel that if Individual Membership is introduced it could dilute clubs. But then maybe it could bring more people in that will enjoy the events and the friendships and could lead to them wanting to join a club - individual membership will be a vehicle for them to get in amongst it.

Where Goodguys or any of the local private promotors differ is that they have smaller committees or just a few people to get ideas off the ground opposed to a larger group or committee that due to time constraints, bias or personal preferences can make the action plan develop slower.

In essence, individual membership would be good but a restructuring of the existing infrastructure will enable things to move forward - QUICKER

scumdog
05-20-2009, 10:25 PM
They have discovered that they CAN be hot rodders without contributing to the NZHRA.

But,,,Can there be a NZHRA without hot rodders??

Thumper
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Good points 4E4. Not sure if i agree that the NZHRA structure could not be changed to accomodate individual membership, each member could be allocated a zone depending on where they live, and as far as voting on remits is concerned, I don't see a problem really, a weighting method could apply or each club converted to a weighted vote, which only makes it fairer anyhow (it always puzzled me that a club with a dozen members could change things using the remit system).
As far as a GoodGuys membership, there are many guys just waiting to see what NZHRA can do before they set up a similar organisation, don't forget NSRA (which is proof that a "nation wide" group can work) - I think it depends really on how much energy is put into the organisation of events, runs etc which will attract membership. There won't be less of these events, more (Americarna II watch for it)
NZHRA Clubs have nothing to fear, if the club has an active structure and members enjoy the general pattern of friendship and atmosphere, the membership will not suffer.
I think that if I was Joe Public looking at Hot Rodding from the uninformed side, and let's say an "sandal wearing" political issue developed which could take our hobby effectively away, how is JP going to take NZHRA seriously if he knows it only represents a few thousand members, now if that was 25000, then he would respect that bodies viewpoint. NZHRA needs to grow and quick.

LIFESTYLZ
05-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Can someone please LIST the actual benefits that a member gets from being an NZHRA member.
When this is done in it's entirety, it can then be assessed as to what more is needed to push the fence sitters over the line and join.
NZHRA can only be beneficial if there is something to offer.

Joe Public is saying "What's in it for ME" ................

Tell them.

Shrapnel
05-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Hot Rod Todd , 4eva4 , thumper ,,, all good points raised here.

this will seem a dumb idea , but does joining NZHRA have to come at a cost/price ? yeah yeah , NZHRA needs fee's to run itself, but what if afffiliation was free , thus boosting membership , which would then give NZHRA numbers to search out discounted advertisers i.e . join here for free , and get discounts to all these business's/events. Business's/events which in turn pay NZHRA to have their name on the now swelling data base ! A data base that can then be educated as to why we need Cert etc. as well as direct marketing !!!!

Bit left field I know , and what comes first, chicken or the egg ? But just an idea !

scumdog
05-20-2009, 11:34 PM
We had our club meeting on tues night to be told of increse to membership !

I know the idea of free membership is one hell of a long shot, but with the new marketing/develpoment man, this surely is an avenue worth concidering !

Does that mean more members in your club?

Or that membership fee has gone up?

kelzweld
05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't think we'll see free membership. Affiliation costs $5 more this year than it did last year I think.
As for benefits of belonging, I'll start the list with you get a discount on some goods from Pioneer Autoparts when flashing your card. :)

Shrapnel
05-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think we'll see free membership. Affiliation costs $5 more this year than it did last year I think.
As for benefits of belonging, I'll start the list with you get a discount on some goods from Pioneer Autoparts when flashing your card. :)

We had our club meeting on tues night to be told of increse to membership !

I know the idea of free membership is one hell of a long shot, but with the new marketing/develpoment man, this surely is an avenue worth concidering !

Shrapnel
05-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Does that mean more members in your club?

Or that membership fee has gone up?

Membership to NZHRA up by $5.oo .

Also had a visitor/new member .

Rodbolt
05-22-2009, 06:05 PM
As Lifestylez says, whats in it for ME??

Whats in it for any NZHRA member?.

The marketing hot shot just on board will be able to tell you because one of the the first things he would have done as part of his Marketing Plan would have been to define his existing product(s). He would have done a carefully compiled questionnaire survey of NZHRA members, and then analysed the results according to age, demographics, club, etc. to arrive at a "typical NZHRA member". Then he would know what Joe Public should like about the NZHRA, and what things would attract Joe to join a NZHRA member club in what area.

I suspect the things that encouraged people to join the clubs are nowhere near like the things that would encourage people to join the association, Those two things are chalk and cheese.

Depekus
05-22-2009, 06:36 PM
How many events over the year, are for NZHRA members only ?

At this point, I'm not anti individual/homebody/loner membership.
Will be joining my old club again, great blokes and organise plenty of runs to look forward to. You can never have too many mates, swapper parts aplenty.
What do I expect to get from membership. Zilch. Somewhere up the chain, the cheif will have our back..
I can understand for some that live miles from any club, would like the choice, but from memory, you are only required to attend 2-3 club meetings a year..?
Pretty open-minded on this one, but great topic..

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Sofar no-one has given any good reason for Joe Public to join NZHRA.
Is there none?

Shrapnel
05-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Sofar no-one has given any good reason for Joe Public to join NZHRA.
Is there none?

It would seem currently, no ! fender exemption and hobby manual discount maybe ! :confused:

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I can understand for some that live miles from any club, would like the choice, but from memory, you are only required to attend 2-3 club meetings a year..?

Why go to 3 meetings so you can belong to NZHRA for ??? reason?

I am just trying to get my head around why I need to be in NZHRA.
Fender exemptions don't concern and never will. A recent newsletter in another publication summed up the ass govt on this issue quite nicely.
Maybe being able to attend NZHRA sanctioned events is a reason?
Should I have to be a club member to do that?
Don't know why?
Sorry, just thinking aloud... :confused: :confused:

Shrapnel
05-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Why go to 3 meetings so you can belong to NZHRA for ??? reason?

I am just trying to get my head around why I need to be in NZHRA.
Fender exemptions don't concern and never will. A recent newsletter in another publication summed up the ass govt on this issue quite nicely.
Maybe being able to attend NZHRA sanctioned events is a reason?
Should I have to be a club member to do that?
Don't know why?
Sorry, just thinking aloud... :confused: :confused:

Ah Yeah , sorry , Most NZHRA sanctioned events you need to be affiliated to attend. ie National Show , Pre 49's , Street Rod Nats.

I wonder what would happen if there was a Full-On Privately Run National show !!! HMMMmmmmmm :rolleyes:

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Ah Yeah , sorry , Most NZHRA sanctioned events you need to be affiliated to attend. ie National Show , Pre 49's , Street Rod Nats.

I wonder what would happen if there was a Full-On Privately Run National show !!! HMMMmmmmmm :rolleyes:

When you say attend, do you mean Participate?

Shrapnel
05-22-2009, 09:11 PM
When you say attend, do you mean Participate?

Yeah mate. some of the smaller events, if you wish to register as a participant and its a santioned event, then you also need to be NZHRA affiliated also .

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 09:14 PM
How do we know which ones are sanctioned and which ones are not sanctioned..?

Shrapnel
05-22-2009, 09:17 PM
How do we know which ones are sanctioned and which ones are not sanctioned..?

Usually states it on the entry form !

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Usually states it on the entry form !

Hmmmmm.
I'm Joe Public.
I may not know too much about NZHRA and sanctioning and entry forms...
Are we not getting enough info?

prognini
05-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Whats in it for me???Always holding ya hand out for something.That depends on whether you want to drive your rod/custom/modified cruiser around or build it and leave it in the shed..I gotta agree with Depekus on this one..I for one would rather be a member of NZHRA and at least join the rest who would like to keep driving our vehicle of choice while we still can.I think at club level,we can be viewed as a bigger body,rather than scattered members.And for the record,we are both NSRA members too,dont ask about the politics about the two sides of the fence,Im not interested,just want to take the cars out to a run,meet people and enjoy ourselves.
.And why would Joe Public want to join a club,or NZHRA,if he or she,wasnt a hotrodder anyway..
Also,in this day and age,I think it is a privilege to drive a fenderless vehicle,not a bloody right,and no,I dont have a fenderless car,but if I built one in the future,I would like to use it,although,I would rather have one I could drive daily.. :D
And just remember,the government could kick us off the road without any qualms at all.Sorry if I have peed anyone off, :D Nah,second thoughts, Im not..only my opinion..Disjointed rant?yeah,probably.DILLIGAF.

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Whats in it for me???Always holding ya hand out for something.That depends on whether you want to drive your rod/custom/modified cruiser around or build it and leave it in the shed..I gotta agree with Depekus on this one..I for one would rather be a member of NZHRA and at least join the rest who would like to keep driving our vehicle of choice while we still can.I think at club level,we can be viewed as a bigger body,rather than scattered members.And for the record,we are both NSRA members too,dont ask about the politics about the two sides of the fence,Im not interested,just want to take the cars out to a run,meet people and enjoy ourselves.
.And why would Joe Public want to join a club,or NZHRA,if he or she,wasnt a hotrodder anyway..
Also,in this day and age,I think it is a privilege to drive a fenderless vehicle,not a bloody right,and no,I dont have a fenderless car,but if I built one in the future,I would like to use it,although,I would rather have one I could drive daily.. :D
And just remember,the government could kick us off the road without any qualms at all.Sorry if I have peed anyone off, :D Nah,second thoughts, Im not..only my opinion..Disjointed rant?yeah,probably.DILLIGAF.

That is all very well, but HOW does that get more members and make NZHRA sustainable in this day and age?
No-one knows what they do or what they offer.
Unless you are already a hard core rodder who doesn't need encouragement to join anyway.

prognini
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=LIFESTYLZ]Hmmmmm.
I'm Joe Public.
Are we not getting enough info?[/QUOTE
Forget it all over the last twenty years have ya Clive? :D

prognini
05-22-2009, 09:27 PM
That is all very well, but HOW does that get more members and make NZHRA sustainable in this day and age?
No-one knows what they do or what they offer.
Unless you are already a hard core rodder who doesn't need encouragement to join anyway.
Thought that was what you were,or are you misleading us?
You dont have to be a hardcore rodder.

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=LIFESTYLZ]Hmmmmm.
I'm Joe Public.
Are we not getting enough info?[/QUOTE
Forget it all over the last twenty years have ya Clive? :D

I am actually thinking about those out there who may be sitting on the fence about joining but don't know what or why they are joining...

As for me personally, I joined back in 1967. Still don't know what they were offering. Taking fees but for what?

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 09:29 PM
prognini..

Joe Public doesn't come on here and ask why so I doing it for them...

The point being.. should there be way more info about the organization and what they do and what they can offer?

prognini
05-22-2009, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=prognini]

I am actually thinking about those out there who may be sitting on the fence about joining but don't know what or why they are joining...
As for me personally, I joined back in 1967. Still don't know what they were offering. Taking fees but for what?
Too much for me,,I suppose ya wonder why ya pay a rego fee for ya car too??

prognini
05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
prognini..

Joe Public doesn't come on here and ask why so I doing it for them...

The point being.. should there be way more info about the organization and what they do and what they can offer?

Joe Public probably doesnt give a flax basket of kumara,if they did,they would google hot rod or ask questions,unless they all have a hot line to your place.. :eek:

Depekus
05-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I feel, in this rather small country of ours, with the over-ruling PC correct government attitude, its a case of...United we stand...Divided we fall.

prognini
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I feel, in this rather small country of ours, with the over-ruling PC correct government attitude, its a case of...United we stand...Divided we fall.
Amen brother.. :D

LIFESTYLZ
05-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Joe Public probably doesnt give a flax basket of kumara,if they did,they would google hot rod or ask questions,unless they all have a hot line to your place.. :eek:

Hmmmm sarcasm aye.. :confused: :confused:

One thing I learn't about marketing is that you have to think like the prospective customer. In this case it is the new yank car owner and NZHRA needs to find out what they know and don't know about NZHRA. Otherwise why would they join something so obscure. NZHRA needs them all if as said we need to stand united... If offering Individual membership is a carrot then go and get it done and dusted...

bt34
05-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Hmmmm sarcasm aye.. :confused: :confused:

One thing I learn't about marketing is that you have to think like the prospective customer. In this case it is the new yank car owner and NZHRA needs to find out what they know and don't know about NZHRA. Otherwise why would they join something so obscure. NZHRA needs them all if as said we need to stand united... If offering Individual membership is a carrot then go and get it done and dusted...
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Re the "learn't about marketing" comment, all one has to do is hop
into his shoes to get the perpective right, uplift or downgrade yourself
and you are in..

If you or we want a LARGE collective of people's to get NZHRA
cranked up individual membership has to be offered...
The guy's or guyess's that already belong to club's sure n hell will remain in their respective club's.. Unless the club is doing it all wrong..

As for the page one comments about policing members doing skids (who me?) or whatever let the Police or ? look after it. Its not your problem...

cheers bt

Hot Rod Todd
05-24-2009, 02:03 AM
I would argue its finest moment was the introduction of the certification system in 1990 or so. That kept the Government/meadling buracrats at bay and let us get on with doing what we love.

I would suggest that its main purpose has changed from sanctioning events and helping clubs to form, to being our watchdog against political inteference. That sais, they now are getting more involved in the running of "major events" and raising sponsorship for the member clubs.

To be honest, a person buying a 60s yank cruiser and lowering it and fitting flash wheels and a stereo doesnt actually need the NZHRA. But the NZHRA could do with the extra numbers to maintain credibility at the Government level.

But while individual membership may suit these people, any relationship they have with NZHRA would at best be disjointed, and probably short term.

Rodbolt
05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
NZHRA never has been and still isn't a "watchdog against political interference". Nothing remotely like it.

If anything has emerged from this great discussion it's that we all see a need for such a watchdog.

Dare I say another key item that has emerged is that the NZHRA can never take the watchdog role without a major rejig that would lose/dilute our associations' culture. We are Hot Rodders, thats what we are, and the NZHRA is our association for us.

An effective political watchdog will encompass, and be made up from, all the motoring enthusiast groups because (as we all agree) United we Stand - Divided we Fall.

If you want a model look at COLFO - Coalition of Licenced Firearm Owners, which represents all the (disparate) shooting groups in New Zealand and presents a cohesive, responsible and law abiding coalition to politicians and the media. Whenever there is a firearm issue in the news (thankfully very rare nowadays) COLFO has a part.

ratbag
05-24-2009, 02:52 PM
ive been in nzhra since 1970.and i dont have problem with its association,we have all benefitted in some way,,what is individual membership going to acheive,,all you yuppie type want is things to go your way,,WHO IS GONNA RUN IT,if yu want changes,stand for commitee,,go to delegate meetings.put your names forward for committee,albiet we have clubs,and some strong ones around,,its a minoritory whomn do work the club.and its the INDIVIDUALS,that do jack shit,and expect the rewards.and the same ol crap goes on..YOU BETTER TO RUN WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW,,THAN THE DEVIL YOU DONT.NZHRA NEEDS SUPPORT,SO DOES YU LOCAL CLUB.THEY ARE THE ONES THAT HAVE BATTLED FOR OUR RIGHTS,AND ANY PRIVELAGES WE HAVE,its ok havin a witchhunt,or a bitch.but look at big picture..WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR YOUR CLUB,OR NZHRA.WOT DO YOU EXPECT FROM THESE PEOPLE WHOMN RUN IT ALL.WHAT YU PUT INTO IT,IS WHAT YOU GET OUTA IT.GET A LIFE,BUY A GO CART,,THOSE CLUBS HAVE PROBLEMS TOO.

LIFESTYLZ
05-24-2009, 03:22 PM
NZHRA NEEDS SUPPORT,SO DOES YU LOCAL CLUB.

Well you have to have a local club first don't you.
I would rather spend my hard earned money on my car than giving it to petrol companies because I have to travel heaps to get anywhere. There are two sides to every story. Look at both. We don't need heads buried in the sand. we need solutions to growing NZHRA so it caters for everyones needs. Not just a few die hards.

ratbag
05-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Fair Enuff,there Are Plenty Of Clubs One Can Join,that Have No Meetings To Attend,to Help With Interested Parties Whomn Because Of Location,do Not Have Time,or Resources To Travel Monthly..to Meetings..pukekohe Is Awesome Club.and Have This In Place.im Not A Diehard,far From It...but We Have A Network Out There Trying To Undermine The Good Shit That Has Been Done Over Many Years.,and I Admit More Can Be Done..but It Has To Be Done As A Unit.im Sure Some Of The Nzhra Stalwarts Have Read Comments On This Forum..and Have Put Things In Progress To Offset Some Of The Negative Comments..be Interesting To Hear Any Comments From Them..

Noddy
05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
My memory is a little fuzzy now... Yeah - 30 years of Hot Rodding can do that.

Can someone please remind me of how the NZHRA has saved us from the all the doom and gloom that LTSA/LTNZ tried to bring in?

I thought TJ and the LVVTA do all this? Does anyone from the NZHRA deal with LTSA to protect us - or watch our backs as Todd suggests?

Or has it all been done by TJ since 1990 when all the problems started with Wellington. I thought TJ was working for NZ Hot Rod Mag at the time and through them, and articles he published in the mag, he got his teeth into it to expose what the beauracrats were up to and it all started from there... What has been the NZHRA's involvement through all this?

Not intending to upset anyone with this question - just trying to get a clearer picture of where the responsibilities lie between NZHRA and LVVTA and where the credit is due for "saving" hot rodding and watching our backs.

Check out the LVVTA website. It seems from the LVVTA website that they are the ones that keep us on the road and not the NZHRA directly. They represent and lobby for many different vehicle associations - 10 in fact - not just the NZHRA. Go to http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

So collectively how many members through these 10 associations does the LVVTA represent when it deals with LTSA? Not just the 3000 NZHRA members! Must be lots more.....

Maybe individual membership to the LVVTA could be an option if the NZHRA can't/won't offer it? Whether NZHRA club stalwarts accept it or not, there is obviously a demand for it. And perhaps this would appeal more to Joe Newbie USA car owner with his 50/60s car, who doesn't see where they fit into the NZHRA, as they don't own a Hot Rod?

ratbag
05-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Aye Noddy.yu Right,i Got My Opinions Of The Tj,s Of Rodding,they May Have Done Some Good Things,but They Done Sum Shit Too,and We Paying For It,with These Draconian Rules,regs,criteria To Build A Hotrod..lot Of Bullshit..no One Builds A Unsafe Car,let Alone Drive One..didnt See Any Shitters At Beachhop.ltsa Are Just Another Arm Of Inland Revenue...but To Keep On Their Case,we Need Nzhra,,and A Prolific Spokesman.not Some One Whomn Is There To Feather Own Nest And Ego.yu Been Around Long Enuff To See The Backlash.

KUZTOM
05-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I was on the belief that TJ has done a dam good job,without his input we may not have enjoyed the freedom to date :confused:

LIFESTYLZ
05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Aye Noddy.yu Right,i Got My Opinions Of The Tj,s Of Rodding,they May Have Done Some Good Things,but They Done Sum Shit Too,and We Paying For It,with These Draconian Rules,regs,criteria To Build A Hotrod..lot Of Bullshit..no One Builds A Unsafe Car,let Alone Drive One..didnt See Any Shitters At Beachhop.ltsa Are Just Another Arm Of Inland Revenue...but To Keep On Their Case,we Need Nzhra,,and A Prolific Spokesman.not Some One Whomn Is There To Feather Own Nest And Ego.yu Been Around Long Enuff To See The Backlash.

Geeze mate.
Some very harsh words there.
Are they true?
Can you back them up?

Sum shit??
Draconian??
IRD??

Hmmmmm

AHotrod
05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
ive been in nzhra since 1970.and i dont have problem with its association,we have all benefitted in some way,,what is individual membership going to acheive,,all you yuppie type want is things to go your way,,WHO IS GONNA RUN IT,if yu want changes,stand for commitee,,go to delegate meetings.put your names forward for committee,albiet we have clubs,and some strong ones around,,its a minoritory whomn do work the club.and its the INDIVIDUALS,that do jack shit,and expect the rewards.and the same ol crap goes on..YOU BETTER TO RUN WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW,,THAN THE DEVIL YOU DONT.NZHRA NEEDS SUPPORT,SO DOES YU LOCAL CLUB.THEY ARE THE ONES THAT HAVE BATTLED FOR OUR RIGHTS,AND ANY PRIVELAGES WE HAVE,its ok havin a witchhunt,or a bitch.but look at big picture..WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR YOUR CLUB,OR NZHRA.WOT DO YOU EXPECT FROM THESE PEOPLE WHOMN RUN IT ALL.WHAT YU PUT INTO IT,IS WHAT YOU GET OUTA IT.GET A LIFE,BUY A GO CART,,THOSE CLUBS HAVE PROBLEMS TOO.

Pretty much my veiw too.IF someone REALLY wants to be involved in NZHRA Distance from a town or not wantig to join any of your local clubs is not a good enough excuse,as some clubs catter for distance and lack of meeting attendence.So I guess I'm saying whats all the fuss about,sort out one of these clubs an JOIN (If they won't have you,find 15 like minded people and form your own)...............otherwise stop MOANING,its not helping HOTRODDING in NZ.......Good to see peoples veiws,and lets keep it constructive. :)

Shrapnel
05-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I was on the belief that TJ has done a dam good job,without his input we may not have enjoyed the freedom to date :confused:

I have to, no re-phrase that. I agree Kuztom. In fact, I think you'll find it hard to find "any great number" of those who believe otherwise. :cool:

Shrapnel
05-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Geeze mate.
Some very harsh words there.
Are they true?
Can you back them up?

Sum shit??
Draconian??
IRD??

Hmmmmm

Good question's Clive , I'd be keen to hear a reply to them. I'd also be keen to see some more constructive comments from RatBag ! :cool:

ratbag
05-24-2009, 09:05 PM
OK,T J MAY HAVE DONE SOME GREAT THINGS,,I KNOW HE SPENT YEARS ON IT,,BUT,ONCE DONE,,WHAT EVENTUATED.NOTHING..NO BACK UP SUPPORT,and who are getting blame.nzhra.we still have ltsa on our case.trying to implicate changes,not only in rodding,all aspects of motor registration.we need delegates of clubs to unite more..and members to put any problems to them,to take to nzhra..nsra was formed by a group who were not happy with nzhra,and they flourished,and still up there today,with vast membership of affiliated members of other clubs as well.they are a great bunch,and are united,mates,freinds.family orientated.like most rodders,and have same interest at heart.WHAT IS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP GOING TO ACHEIVE,THAT THESE TWO BODIES HAVNT ALREADY.we all have the freedom of right to attend most events held..but if one is not a member of a club,,and it is a sanctioned event ,there is a hassle,,maybe the clubs organising,have a day member ship,so outsiders whomn want to attend,,can participate,we need to attract more people.into the scene,,not fob them off.we have a huge number of cars in this small country..you just have to look at kumeu,beach hop.americana,stragglers.muscle car madness etc..to see the support of this rodding ,collector car enthusiasts welcome to them all..a big percent would be affiliated to nzhra,,and the ones that are not..WHY NOT..

crockett
05-24-2009, 09:13 PM
isnt a day membership an individual membership any way ? and if not whats the differance ?, if you pay subs to the common good, you are by definition a member, yes or no ?, so if its ok to regester for a days event, so why not go all the way and have indivdual members ?

ratbag
05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
croc me ol westie mate,,yu right,,but we gotta get people into the sport,,somehow...maybe a bumper sticker with...WHO ARE NZHRA.on it will get some attention.ha

LIFESTYLZ
05-24-2009, 09:44 PM
...............otherwise stop MOANING,its not helping HOTRODDING in NZ.......

Not sure where I said or saw anyone "MOANING".

I thought this was a Forum where we could make suggestions and put forward our viewpoint on things....

Maybe I was wrong.... :confused: :rolleyes:

AHotrod
05-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Well you have to have a local club first don't you.
I would rather spend my hard earned money on my car than giving it to petrol companies because I have to travel heaps to get anywhere. There are two sides to every story. Look at both. We don't need heads buried in the sand. we need solutions to growing NZHRA so it caters for everyones needs. Not just a few die hards.

I still think there are plenty of opportunites to join a NZHRA Club and not attend regular meetings.Many keep in touch via the internet and don't attend meetings,distance doesn't realy come into it ,NO excuse for anybody not belonging to a NZHRA Club if they really WANT To.Just my 2c worth.............Long Live NZHRA,I think the present Committee are working hard behind the scenes for the good of us all.

AHotrod
05-24-2009, 11:55 PM
croc me ol westie mate,,yu right,,but we gotta get people into the sport,,somehow...maybe a bumper sticker with...WHO ARE NZHRA.on it will get some attention.ha

That could work :)

LIFESTYLZ
05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
I still think there are plenty of opportunites to join a NZHRA Club and not attend regular meetings.Many keep in touch via the internet and don't attend meetings,distance doesn't realy come into it ,NO excuse for anybody not belonging to a NZHRA Club if they really WANT To.Just my 2c worth.............Long Live NZHRA,I think the present Committee are working hard behind the scenes for the good of us all.

Some of my questions (for the wider public arena) were.
"What has NZHRA got to offer?
What will entice people to join?
NZHRA need numbers increased to survive.
Why have they not listed what they can do for the Rod owner?
Simple black & white info that could be on their website.
Numbers will never increase just because you can join a club without going to meetings. There must be more to it than that.

LIFESTYLZ
05-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Can someone list these clubs that don't care if you attend meetings or not?

ratbag
05-25-2009, 12:45 AM
not sure where yu located,will look into it for you...pukekohe hotrod club for sure...yu sound like a guy a club would benefit from..well,im off to watch the monaco grand prix,then get up at 5am,watch scotty hopefully win indy again..be great for nz..if he can do it two in a row..

LIFESTYLZ
05-25-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't think Location is a big deal if no meetings need to be attended.
I was more thinking this info would be of interest to many others apart from myself. One way to boost NZHRA members aye... Go Scotty......... :D

crockett
05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
ya on to something there shorty, i think NZHRA.COM on a bright yellow sticker with red writing would look hot roddy and prob do the trick eh. then folks who are interested could look on the net when they got home. :)