PDA

View Full Version : Barry Greer

LIFESTYLZ
02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo214/49lincolncoupe/greert.jpg

oldrodder
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
That was a cool bucket... got some current pics of it?

LIFESTYLZ
02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
That was a cool bucket... got some current pics of it?
I thought it was dismantled.
Could be wrong.

whiplash
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
No I saw that T at the beach hop 4 or 5 years ago looking just like that and was blown away with how good it had aged.

oldrodder
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I might be getting mixed up but didn't an old Ardun powered T make it to one of the beach hops?

Admin
02-06-2011, 10:39 PM
The Greer car is dismantled....body in Dargaville.
The one at the Beach Hop was the Martin Voss car.......both were Ardun powered, but different T buckets totally

LIFESTYLZ
02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks Paul.
I thought that was the case.

Admin
02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Here's a shot by NZHRM's Richard Neale...supplied by Greg Stokes
This is the bucket's second rendition.....12-spoke wheels and straight axle were added to the front end....I liked it better when it was green and with the dropped tube axle and wires...see cover shot above

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Greer.jpg

Admin
02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Here's the original shots from Richard's photo shoot

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_008.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_006.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_009.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_005.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_007.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_004.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_002.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Paul_001.jpg

More on this story later......

LIFESTYLZ
02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I had a long association with this T when I lived in PN late '60's.
I even helped Barry mask up the flames and paint it.
Was done in Marton. Can't remember the painter guys name though.
I even got run over once by it as I was running along side steering it
as it was being pushed up the road. Broke bones in my foot... :eek:

H.B.
02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I could write a book about Greer and his T - so many adventures !!!
Must dig out some photo's - used to have one of it Chevy powered before he bought the Ardun !

ForEverFour
02-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Another clone coming on HB? The Greer roadster and the Greer T would look great together!

H.B.
02-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Another clone coming on HB? The Greer roadster and the Greer T would look great together!

Dont think so Mate - that would be in my third lifetime !!!
Last time I talked to Barry he was excited about the 'clone' and was keen to do the T - after he picked up some 'heads' at a swapmeet.

Admin
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Been a bit of research going on in the background for a while....here's what we know so far

Arnie Parker bought the chassis, body, brass radiator headlights and side lights from Greer. It was a 1917 T, steel body with opening doors complete with windscreen posts. The chassis was the second one Greer built which was under the car when it was black (Greer had 2 chassis for this car...one when it was green and a second when it was black)
Arnie then sold the Greer chassis to Graham Ryan because because Arnie didnít want the Greer-style of chassis and had Des Rider at Custom Fabrication build him the new chassis (without a kickup at the rear) to suit SBC motor and Jag rear.
Graham Ryan did nothing with the Greer chassis and a couple of years later sold it to a guy in Glen Eden, this he thinks is about the late Ď70s....current whereabouts unknown
Arnie never completed the project and it was sold as a project and he believes itís now in Dargaville.

Below:
Two photos from Arnie Parker's album show the T sitting on the Custom Fabrications chassis complete with SBC and Jag rear in his driveway. The T was like this when it was sold to the guy in Dargaville and I believe it's still pretty much the same except body is in primer (stand to be corrected) These never-before published photos are probably the last ones of the Greer T known so thanks to Arnie Parker
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Arnie2_forweb.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Arnie1_forweb.jpg

The Greer Ardun...another story again
From Bruce Berkahn. Hi Paul, Having read the article on Barry Greerís T-bucket I thought Iíd pass on my knowledge regarding the origins of the Ardun engine. The person who first owned it was a Bob Randel of Feilding who I made acquaintance with many years ago. (now deceased) One day we both had our heads under the bonnet of a jailbar pickup when he suddenly said he once had an overhead valve conversion for these flathead engines! Well I was quite surprised and asked what make it was and he said it was an Ardun so I knew he knew what he was talking about as I have had flatheads for many years. The next question was what did you have it in, he said he had a speed boat and wanted more power so thought this was the way to go. I said that must have been bloody expensive, to which he replied no, it didnít cost anything really because I worked at the Ohakea Air Force Base at the time and a shipment of aircraft parts just happened to have a brand new Ardun conversion amongst it. He didnít really know why it came in with aircraft parts I remember he wouldn't say much in that area, I suspect with his position in the air force he was able to use it to his advantage. Other than that I really donít know any more but he did say it was sold but couldnít remember to who to fund other projects. I believe this engine is the one Barry Greer got but I canít confirm this. Hope this is of interest to your readers.
Geoff Mitford Taylor remembers Ė It was advertised (flathead for sale) in a boat and Peter Ayres (Angela's brother) - good friend of Barry went to look at it as he had no money or wasnít quick enough !!! Barry ended up buying it. Peter always 'hassled' Barry how he beat him to it! There was a 6-carb SBC involved and I canít remember if this was in his bucket or ended up in the boat!

LIFESTYLZ
02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Nice to see the Peter Ayers connection.
I had heard rumours about this at the time.
Peter is an old mate from way back.
Last saw him at Kumeu a couple of years back.

I rememer a mate of mine buying a '47 sedan off Peter.
It had a full tilt frontend and would have been a very
cool car .. (it never got finished and I lost track of it)

Thanks for that update Paul.

oldrodder
02-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Arnie had a really nice bucket with a turtle deck didn't he?

I think it was blue - had a really nice stance... I think it might have had a jag rear too.

H.B.
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah the ARDUNS are another story !!!
Barry bought another NEW set of Heads that were in Greenlane Speed Shop and I seem to remember these were the ones on the T when it was 'driving'
The first heads had front water outlets and were 'Ardun New York', the new heads had center outlets and thought they had 'England' on them ??? - I think these are the heads that Barry sold to Aussie and Grease got them back !
and isnt the 'New York' engine the one in the Voss bucket ?

Admin
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Shit....history a mile-deep here...thanks for posting HB....I'll have to search out the Voss feature and zoom in on the engine's valve covers to verify

Admin
02-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Okay....Feb '78 feature on the Voss T is a bit dark & grainy to see any name on the valve cover......but I found this shot from the Beach Hop '06 (by Horse) of the Voss T parading in the rain.....you can see on zoom-in....no New York...looks like it's been ground off or had two holes added for a badge of some sort??? But it does have the forward water outlets.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Voss1.jpg

LIFESTYLZ
02-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Barry made up some alloy plug covers with BG (barry Greer) on them.
That may be where the 2 holes mounted them.
I thought it was B & C (Berry & Chung) first off.

Admin
02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Here's a close up of The valve cover on the Greer T when it was black....something there...not sure what....maybe some valve cover swapping going on?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Greer2.jpg

H.B.
02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Pretty sure thats the 'England' tag - and it Looks like those covers on the Voss engine (without tags) with the New York (boat engine) heads.
I'm guessing Grease has the New York covers on the 'center outlet heads !

kiwi bellytank
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Wow! This whole thread is giving my brain a work out trying to remember that far back. I was barely 17 back then, if that & used to hang out at Barry's restraunt called the Pondarosa down by the Odion theater at the bottom end of broardway. That was before he moved around the corner to the 2nd location. He was still building the T back then & had a patchy brown primer 33 5window with a pilot engine & no floor boards. I still remember the first time he loaned it to me to cruise town. He called my black 38 std coupe a grandmas car, I think he felt sorry for me in that late model. I eventually traded it on a channeled 34. If I remember it right, he actually cast valve covers & log manifolds with the BG logo on them for the Ardun. The last time I saw Barry & the T was at the old fire station in Napier & I believe those parts were on it then. Warren Dorne had a 32roadster with a sbc in it & there was a chopped n channeled 34-3window, purple metalflake with a boat anchor in it. I can't seem to put a name to that, gunna need some help on that one. I used to hang out with Clive's older brother Rodney who had a Merc lead sled in goldex-rust-kill green & greasey finger marks. Use more than a tank of gas a night & never leave town.
Ahh, those were the dayz!
Sid.

LIFESTYLZ
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the memories Sid.:D
I used to work for Barry at the Ponderosa making burgers & chips.
Then spent the odd night helping out at the night club in King Street.
Remember Peter Ayers tilt front '47 sedan? Royce Fisher little T truck.?
Human Instinct were resident band back in them days..
I drove around in my '35 3 window Pontiac then.
I bought the Merc off Rod later.

LIFESTYLZ
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Sid, here is the Merc.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo214/49lincolncoupe/IMG_0036.jpg

LIFESTYLZ
02-24-2011, 10:58 PM
And the Pontiac.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo214/49lincolncoupe/IMG_0051.jpg

Admin
02-24-2011, 11:16 PM
An old pic I had of Royce's Truck in what I think was it's best style...

EDIT: Whoops - once again I've used Paul's account by mistake
This post by OldRodder :p ;) :D :o :) :( :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

LIFESTYLZ
02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Loved that truck.
Royce had a V8 MGbgt he drove around most of the time.
But whenever the truck was out, I was first in line for a ride.

oldrodder
02-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Loved that truck.
Royce had a V8 MGbgt he drove around most of the time.
But whenever the truck was out, I was first in line for a ride.

That would be a relatively cheap, practical and cool truck to build up these days too - love the stance of it in that pic and the flat deck and even the front fenders all work so well.

I wonder where there is a cheap T cab
nb: see the old emoticons? :D

LIFESTYLZ
02-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Is it true that someone is/has/will be rebuilding the truck?

Good to see the emoticons back .. :D

Now get to with all the other hiccups .. :rolleyes:

kiwi bellytank
02-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey Clive, Yep, I remember your Pontiac & vaguely remember Peter Ayres tilt front monster but I do remember his sister Jenny.
So who had the purple 33-3window??
ps- Oldrodder, I have a T truck cab outside the shop here but it's no good to you when I'm in Idaho!! Sid.

oldrodder
02-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey Clive, Yep, I remember your Pontiac & vaguely remember Peter Ayres tilt front monster but I do remember his sister Jenny.
So who had the purple 33-3window??
ps- Oldrodder, I have a T truck cab outside the shop here but it's no good to you when I'm in Idaho!! Sid.

Sid - It would be if you sent it to me freight free :D:D

And how come you remember Jenny? :)

kiwi bellytank
02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Maybe I could cut the cab up & send it to you UPS ground, oh, hang on, theres water between here n there.
I forgot why I remember Jenny so well!!

oldrodder
02-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Maybe I could cut the cab up & send it to you UPS ground, oh, hang on, theres water between here n there.
I forgot why I remember Jenny so well!!

If you number the pieces you could chop it up and send them individually in envelopes :D

kiwi bellytank
02-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a carry-on situation to me. Stuff it in the overhead. Sid.

LIFESTYLZ
02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't remember Jenny but I remember Angela Ayers.
She went to be world famous in NZ as a singer.
Damn good too. :D Voice and looks ... :D

kiwi bellytank
02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Jenny was the eldest, same age as me, then Peter then Angela.

LIFESTYLZ
02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
The only purple car I remember was Bruce Robertsons
Purple flaked full race flattie powered mark one Zephyr.
Damn that thing was quick and sounded awesome. :eek:

kiwi bellytank
02-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Yep, there was Bruces mk1 that had a 337 truck engine in it. The coupe I'm talking about was a chopped n channeled 33-3 window, purple metal flake, Y block with
3x2's, B/C wheels & a cut down 32 shell. I'll know the name when (if) I hear it. It would be late 67 or early 68 when it poped up. Not sure if it was still around after the Ponderosa moved around the corner to King st. This is a hell of a long time ago isn't it Clive?
Sid.

prognini
02-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Is it true that someone is/has/will be rebuilding the truck?

Good to see the emoticons back .. :D

Now get to with all the other hiccups .. :rolleyes:

Yes,,The general...Graeme Patten found all the bits and pieces,and has done most of the rebuild,then heard he sold it..The Caske family has it now..
I dont think the general had much option..He told us a few years back,that he couldnt fit in it too well way back when Royce owned it..So he didnt have much chance of driving it when he got it done..:D.....
Yay,kool emoticons are back...

LIFESTYLZ
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
This is a hell of a long time ago isn't it Clive?
Sid.

Too right Sid.
I'm actually starting to remember more as I think about it.
Remember the club shed in Cook st?
Warren Dorn and his mk3 Zephyrs .. lol :)

kiwi bellytank
02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
I know what you mean Clive, we're becoming a couple of dynosours. Thats why I'm pushing so hard with the streamliner build.
If I understand it right, Barry Greer is still kicking??? Sid.

LIFESTYLZ
02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Barry is in Oz I believe.
Haven't been able to contact him though.
I do have contact with Maurice through facebook.

kiwi bellytank
02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Cool! So how old would he be now? I'm a thousand! Sid.

LIFESTYLZ
02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
HaHa. He was old back in the '60's.
Or it seemed that way through a new teenagers eyes.. :rolleyes:

kiwi bellytank
03-01-2011, 06:22 PM
He did seem old back then, he's gotta be 80ish now I would think. Maurice was a muso wasn't he?? Sid.

LIFESTYLZ
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Maurice is lead for "Human Instinct".
One of Kiwis best Rock bands Who are still going. (in OZ now)
Did a stint in the UK in the late '60's and did extra well there.
Our very own "Bill Ward" from Bonnevilles "Kiwi"A"Salt"
was a member earlier on.
The Greer boys were all involved in music, even Barry.
Eg the King st night club.
They were involved with huge portable stages etc as well.

LIFESTYLZ
11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Anyone know any more about what and where the Greer T is up to?

Mooseman
11-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Just showed this thread to my dad and he remembers the Greer brothers from way back in the night club days. My dads mates were all in bands back then and my dad helped them out and he was just talking about the days of three gigs in one night all at different places around the wanganui/manawatu/horewhenua area.

LIFESTYLZ
11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Very cool connection.
Maybe I knew your dad back then.

Mooseman
11-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Maybe my dad is Warren Payne, had hotrods in the 60's then got out of it. He mostly new the Greers via his mates doing gigs at the Greers club.

LIFESTYLZ
11-17-2012, 10:10 PM
In the first "Looking Back" book there is a double page picture of Barry Greers '32 roadster.
That was the first Hot Rod I got to ride in. :) Must have been '67/'68 or there abouts.

rockin rodder
12-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Clive, If you catch up with Barry say Hi to him. Havent seen him for years now. I remember having a talk with him about his Greer family connections as I am also related to some Greer's.
kiwi bellytank wouldnt be Sid Gyde would it ? Last time I heard from Sid he had finally got the Coupe on the road after the body sitting in his shed at Milsom Line for years. He also had an AP6 Valiant back then plus raced a Mk2 Jag as a production car.Still got photos of them somewhere thsat he sent me. Cheers Graeme

LIFESTYLZ
12-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi Clive, If you catch up with Barry say Hi to him. Havent seen him for years now. I remember having a talk with him about his Greer family connections as I am also related to some Greer's.
kiwi bellytank wouldnt be Sid Gyde would it ? Last time I heard from Sid he had finally got the Coupe on the road after the body sitting in his shed at Milsom Line for years. He also had an AP6 Valiant back then plus raced a Mk2 Jag as a production car.Still got photos of them somewhere thsat he sent me. Cheers Graeme

Hey Graeme.
I too haven't seen Barry for a while but have contact with Maurice Greer.

Re Sid Gyde... yep. Check him out here.
http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?5979-Idaho-Kiwi-..-The-Story.&highlight=gyde

kiwi bellytank
12-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Jesus! My ears must have been burning.
I'm trying to put a name & a face to the Graham from Palmy!
Like Clive, I too remember Barry from way back in the Ponderosa days down on George st. I remember him lending me his 34 coupe on occasions to cruise town. I was already into cars but he gave me the Hot Rodding disease.
As some of you know, my latest outbreak is the AA/BFS thats sceduled to hit the salt in 13.
Sid. Lost in the Rocky Mountains, how the hell did I get here???:confused:

LIFESTYLZ
12-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Hey Sid.
Maybe Graeme will chime in do a reveal ... :D

ps. I see Graeme Patten mentioned earlier.
Couldn't be could it..

prognini
12-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Hey Sid.
Maybe Graeme will chime in do a reveal ... :D

ps. I see Graeme Patten mentioned earlier.
Couldn't be could it..

Could be..Hey,rockin rodder...didja ever put an axe thru a answerphone machine,whilst in Kansas??;);)

rockin rodder
12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Syd, Its Graeme from Tauranga here. Had the 47 LHD Ford sedan "Blue Heaven" and used to come down to palmy now & then. Mostly for swap meets and the parties at Astoria ball room ? up stairs. Remember them?
Been many a day since we caught up. You were still out Milson Line and your 32 Coupe was just a body at that stage. You had your Valiant AP6 and a Jag modified saloon then too. Still got the photos you sent me somewhere.
The Graham from Palmerston North you were thinking of wouldnt have been Graham Saunders would it that used to go with Karen Linton.

rockin rodder
12-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Could be..Hey,rockin rodder...didja ever put an axe thru a answerphone machine,whilst in Kansas??;);)

Hi prognini, Nah not this kid , havnt even got to the USA yet. Talking about axes, I've always wanted to section a T bucket body.......! {:o)

I think the first time I met Barry Greer was up here at our first show in the Mt Maunganui Sportsdrome so that would be 1968.

LIFESTYLZ
12-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Graeme Ardern would be right aye...

Damn silly of me me not to get this first off ... lol

prognini
12-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi prognini, Nah not this kid , havnt even got to the USA yet. Talking about axes, I've always wanted to section a T bucket body.......! {:o)

I think the first time I met Barry Greer was up here at our first show in the Mt Maunganui Sportsdrome so that would be 1968.

AHHH,,,now I know..THAT Graeme..lol Howzit.. didnt see you at Taupo( Or is it Torpor)? today..Actually saw/spoke with the other aforementioned Graeme,as well..hehe..

rockin rodder
12-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Graeme Ardern would be right aye...

Damn silly of me me not to get this first off ... lol

Hey, Clive, As we get older we all have trouble with our Re-call buttons sometimes. I know mine plays up quite a bit these days.

There was someone looking for info on the GREER family from Palmerston North just recently on a geneology site I belong to.
I'll FB you later with my private email if you feel like passing it on to Maurice or Barry Greer and I can put them in touch with them.
Might be some of their rellies.

kiwi bellytank
12-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Hi Syd, Its Graeme from Tauranga here. Had the 47 LHD Ford sedan "Blue Heaven" and used to come down to palmy now & then. Mostly for swap meets and the parties at Astoria ball room ? up stairs. Remember them?
Been many a day since we caught up. You were still out Milson Line and your 32 Coupe was just a body at that stage. You had your Valiant AP6 and a Jag modified saloon then too. Still got the photos you sent me somewhere.
The Graham from Palmerston North you were thinking of wouldnt have been Graham Saunders would it that used to go with Karen Linton.

Well hey Graeme, you just managed to shake my memory banks right there, Im still waiting for the dust to settle. There's been a few race cars go out the door since those days & a few women too.
I'll pm you my email so I don't hijack the thread.
Sid.