PDA

View Full Version : Roger Murray - Hustler

oldrodder
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Placeholder - waiting for pics and info

Noddy
02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Roger has entered a vehcile for Sony Xplod Beach Hop 11 - but not a T Bucket... Great to see these guys getting back into it... I'm thinking you'll see Roger, Cub Roberts, Allen Lim and Errol MacLauchlin all at the Beach Hop...

Noddy

bt34
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Roger Murray & Errol McLachlan
Rog..Mu........on da bike at Whangarei....Clive Ross backyard..nuther story.

bt34
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
272 boat anchor etc

Admin
02-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Hustler's first show??? Hamilton Show 1973 where it was named Boo T....Photo by Warren Houston
Looks like Roger found a gallon of paint and went for it!!!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/RogerMurray.jpg

Admin
02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Hamilton Show 1974....Now named Hustler and running a 429 and Toploader....not the Shotgun motor fitted later....Photo by Warren Houston

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/RogerMurray2.jpg

bt34
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
The Hustler was Rogers 2nd bucket I do do believe...Dunno what happened to the 1st....(prob Hustled off)

Admin
02-10-2011, 11:30 PM
A good question for Roger to answer...Noddy...can you slip us his contact details since he's going to be at the Hop?

Noddy
02-11-2011, 07:00 AM
A good question for Roger to answer...Noddy...can you slip us his contact details since he's going to be at the Hop?
I've emailed Roger asking if it is OK to pass on his details to you. Privacy laws etc.... you could be some pyscho T Bucket stalker....

Admin
02-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks.....standing by...

Admin
02-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Another couple of shots of Boo T by Warren Houston

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/RogerMurray4.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/RogerMurray3.jpg

Hustler
02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
272 boat anchor etc
First road build...boat anchor engined Rat Rod...Working at Gee Dubs[Cub R's]
Ex Grub Reid chrome headers and rear track rods.Off Vandal I think.
That's all it took to start this one, ex Reid chrome,swap 2.5 v6 out of my Mk 4 Zed car for the well used boat anchor and with quiet assistance from Gee Dub and Dennis Downey, Nic Leiftings Greenlane Speedshop for glass body and more advice, the beginning of an adventure.

Basic T,no front brakes, old Vauxhall 4spd,Austin Devon radiator, Mk 3 Zephyr diff,Total cost on road,about $1200.00.
Errol and I built it in around 8 months and our first run was to the New Plymouth Easter Rod run, the early 70's.

Met other Rodders ... "The Hook was Set!" :D

Hustler
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Hustler's first show??? Hamilton Show 1973 where it was named Boo T....Photo by Warren Houston
Looks like Roger found a gallon of paint and went for it!!!
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/RogerMurray.jpg

This was fellow Hamilton Club member, fresh out of the RNZAF if I recall,Warren Houston [Moses in those days] first paint job.As we all know t'day Wozza ,as he is now known has great talent,he did this whole sceme with two tins of "sorta blue" paint a roll or two of masking tape and much imagination.
We were not "high Dollar guys",Moses payment for the paint job[determined before painting] was to drive Boo T at the Taupo Rod Run,he named it,painted it,and drove it.

We met more Hot Rodders...really getting addicted now.

Hustler
02-15-2011, 08:19 PM

We didn't have access to Nitro in those days,Petol Circus. :o

Hustler
02-15-2011, 08:44 PM
The Hustler was Rogers 2nd bucket I do do believe...Dunno what happened to the 1st....(prob Hustled off)

You're right Hairy, Boo T'ed off to Robert Steer,a member of Tall Timbers Club at Tokoroa.
To fund the mechanicals from a wrecked 69 Mercury Cycle Spoiler GT that Cub found & bought in the USA on one of his early finda V8 for repowering ya Mk4 Zed trips.

For me, a 429 CJ,big Toploader and Nodular 9" with 31 spl/Lsd.
Errol bought his first SB, a 289, from Gee Dub then too.

Two new powerplants + Better ideas = New cars.

We Were into it!

KUZTOM
02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Kool story Hustler , which im sure will only get better.
So what are you buiding now after a long history with T-Buckets .
And welcome to the forum from down South,

Admin
02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey Hustler...welcome aboard, enjoyed the snippets, thanks. I bet there are more to come......how did you come across the Boss 429 Shotgun? Hustler was pure ANIMAL with that motor!!!

bt34
02-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Speaking of G-dub's yard thats where my T Tub 289/C4 combo came from...
Out of a 67 Fairlane...
Used the same engine & trans in 7 different vehicles... :D

Hustler
02-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Hamilton Show 1974....Now named Hustler and running a 429 and Toploader....not the Shotgun motor fitted later....Photo by Warren Houston

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/RogerMurray2.jpg

The "New" car. Hustler,debued earlier with Stinger, both in rescue orange,the only paint I had at that time. Engine mods and slicks were more the focus initially...GO FAST!.
This paint job was from Clive Ross of Whangarei Rod and Customs Club, out of Bill Cotterell Car Painters shop.
Clives and boss Bill [like so many others who made themselves available to us in those days] gave tremendous assistance to NZ Show/Street Rodding and Drag Racing clubbers and made the cars shine.
Clive also painted Hustlers last Yellow based scheme,same deal [a freebie] still looking great too I believe.
The car has chrome in this pic so its been on the track for a few years,my feelings were chrome won't make it faster so that didn't come till later on.
I do remember though,the chrome here cost more than my first T cost to build!

Our Rodding/Drag Racing had advanced greatly thanks to all the helpers and sponsorships.

KUZTOM
02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Speaking of G-dub's yard thats where my T Tub 289/C4 combo came from...
Out of a 67 Fairlane...
Used the same engine & trans in 7 different vehicles... :D
THAT got me thinking, I wonder how many other guys can beat That ???
You must av like that combo

bt34
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
We didn't have access to Nitro in those days,Petol Circus. :o

Thank gawd for that. :D

;) But then there's alway's the episode with your Number 4 Z car pushing a certain 52 Mopar up the Brynderwyn Hill's..... :eek: on the way to a Whangarei pissup, oops, I mean function.... :D (nuther story)

Hustler
02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Hairy gets the best out of EVERYTHING.

bt34
02-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Hairy gets the best out of EVERYTHING.
Spare brunette's???? ;) with a 120sq m barn??? :)

Hustler
02-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome KUSTOMS.
So many great memories ADMIN,I consider myself lucky to have met and enjoyed the pioneers/identities of the sport I played back then.

Happy to still be around and looking way foward catching up with the news from familiar faces at Noddys Hop.

LIFESTYLZ
02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
You're a legend mate ...
Heard it on the grapevine .. :D :eek:

Hustler
02-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Hey Hustler...welcome aboard, enjoyed the snippets, thanks. I bet there are more to come......how did you come across the Boss 429 Shotgun? Hustler was pure ANIMAL with that motor!!!

OK ,there were rumours that an Ex Miss Coventry racing boat engine was for sale, a SOHC 427 Ford "cammer". That would look cool/go well in a bucket so off we went to find it.
Found it eventually..."not well"...expensive too!
On the way around heard whispers of a guy in Taupo [Farmer/Ag Contractor] that had a Boss 429 in a shed under a cover with a tunnel ram and dual holleys.
Another [later, after the cammer] Ex Miss Coventry boat motor,Holman and Moody supplied the engines for the Urquart racing teams efforts so we went hunting and found Mike Steiner on the plateu, and his particularly well used H&M Shotgun.
Brought it all back to Cubs workshop,stripped it washed it,and put it all back together.
Stuck it in the bucket,an' Fired it up, sounded great after the ol iron block ran a bit quicker too.
Best of all the Boss had "POTENTIAL" for further development...nuther story Eh?

Hustler
02-18-2011, 12:30 AM

Top two pics,Stinger and Hustler in rescue orange, early days,no chrome. Errols 289 has tunnel ram and "rat rod" front rims,pictured in Lens front paddock aka Champion dragway.
The Mk 4 Zephyr on the trailer in the background looks like none other than Puke stalwart "Louie the Leopard" Antonovich,Hot LT 1 350 powered.

Hustler
02-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Those were the days time... :)
Staunch racer and Coruba coniseur,Puke club member Louie was a tremendous personality/fundraser, he sold debentures to rod clubs,businesses and individuals all over new Zealand to help fund the initial construction on Lens patch.

In the begining... ;)
Champion Dragway was initiated by Len Rankin approaching the Puke membership to suggest building the strip on his property utilising his Earthmoving equipment on a you pay for the fuel, put some operators on the seats and we will see how much we can do ourselves basis...Working Bee style weekends for years...People came [volunteers] to "build NZ's first permanent drag track"just over the hill from the official grass track we all hooned around on between drag racing on Kerrs Road,Waiouru Airfield,Bay Park and other venues chosen by clubs to get the fix!

The original if we get it started they will come deal I recon!
There would be a book in the story of Meremeres conception,construction and all the out of area volunteers and Puke members...seniors now and still involved in Rodding/Rodding events. Len started it and it snowballed.
Obstacles came and went. Resolved by our leaders at the time who didn't seem to be able to comprehend a crown officials "no, you can't do that"

A lot of future car builders came to help at Meremere on Lens patch, presenting themselves to operate motorscrappers,graders,tractors and rollers.Cut trees,crush scrub,dig drains,run wires, you name it.Axes,shovels and post hole borers,lotsa work, count out the armco barrier post holes,not all work though a balance was achieved,at the end of a day "beeroclock" get to mingle, BBQ an' refreshments.Heard the yarns,got the bug and went home and started building between the working bees'.
The beginning of a new era... more participants in Rodding,add Drag Racing to Rod Runs/Shows.

There was one early volunteer/racer in the days who started drag racing with a Holden sideplate engined Altered, later graduated to a 179/186 engine, reportedly at the time, liberated from one of Lens by then unused rollers...he ran the altered pretty quick around Western Springs Speedway too,just for a blast.Anyone know who I'm talking about? :D

A Wild thought? :eek:
I travel past the strip almost daily,cant help but think what Len did for us 40 odd years ago is still in use and developed beyond his dream [or is it?] we enjoyed it all back then.Some of "the days" racers grandchildren are enjoying it today.The sight of the continual development trackside leads me to the conclusion that the amenity continues to be held in good hands.
A thought...Wouldn't it be great to have a more appropriate [in my opinion] sign at the entrance?

Len Rankin Drive, at the end of Dragway Road.

Or better still...Len Rankin Drive, off SH 1 at Meremere. Yeah :cool:

Happy Rodding

Cheers R.

Rodbolt
02-18-2011, 08:13 AM
"Time 'N Motion" was the holden altered and Warren ? who went to Oz and took the car with him. :)

Louie A was a stock car battler at the old Gloucester Park, where he got the "Leopard" name and one of the original radio eavesdropper towies. One of my cousins was a cop at Pukekohe back then and he used to wonder because when they turned up at accidents Louie was already there and hooked up. A true kiwi hard case. Sadly, Louie was one of the many "own goal" drink/drive casualties from that era.

Admin
02-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Warren Anderson...pic by Warren Houston......

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/Anerson1.jpg

ForEverFour
02-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Check out John Parlane's 33 Tudor in the background with B/C mags!!!!!!!!!!!

prognini
02-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Ha,,last time I saw that,it was pulling large revs,all crossed up,at an NSRA Whangarei run,about 14 years ago,doing a grass khana..mud and grass and crap 30feet in the air,and Baldy havin a ball... :D :D

oldrodder
02-19-2011, 05:55 PM

I shouldn't hijack Rogers thread but doesn't Parlane's old car come to the MidWest breakfast sometimes?

Hustler
02-23-2011, 01:03 AM
oldrodder,I love the iron Fords.
Johns 33 Tudor on B&Cs mags was way cool.
John drove it up here and hammered it at the drags in 'the days'

At the Whakatane Rod run seeing Furnies bucket,then at Bay Park Drags Tony Wards and after several visits to John Reids carshed at Hillcrest I had begun to collect parts. I bought a steel bucket body with doors and a steel wellside from bt34for my first "scratch build".
It would be a great Rat rod t'day but back then all the bodywork and the size of it all,272's low HP...Lotsa work. I also felt...Practical terms [for me/wanna go fast] prang a tin car = major work to rebuild.
So I sold the tin, went to Nic L's [Greenlane Sp Sh] got a Glass Repros 23 shell an' tray kit and restarted with a glass bucket cos they were [relatively] simple cars in those days, Tudors and the Coupes etc were a bit out of reach [time and talent wise] for someone as impatient as I was to get mobile as soon as possible.
I recon T buckets are about as minimum as you need in building terms to "Go Rodding"
Once it was mobile we enjoyed a few Rod Runs and Shows. I discovered the answer is always "more power" no matter what the question, so t'was time to sell Boo T,purchase a 429 inch CJ/SCJ Ford and start building a more aggresive ride.

I still love the Tin Cars,an' appreciate the efforts of those who build 'em and enjoy driving the wheels off 'em for fun. Noddys dust bowl event gives me a grin...:cool:

Noddy
02-23-2011, 06:56 AM
I still love the Tin Cars,an' appreciate the efforts of those who build 'em and enjoy driving the wheels off 'em for fun. Noddys dust bowl event gives me a grin...:cool:
So it must be time to build a dirt track T Bucket Roger????? :o

Noddy

oldrodder
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
So it must be time to build a dirt track T Bucket Roger?????

With a 'Murray friendly' motor :D

Hustler
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Damn ,I never thought of that Noddy,my screensaver pic from oldrodder,my last rant about T buckets being the quick build for a fix.

As I've been talking to Andre,I know there's no way I'm going to get m' ol car back...Although he sez he'd like to bring it back to NZ when rebuilt for the Nostalgia Drags,an' give me skid or two in it.That'll do me! :cool:
I've still got the old wheelie bars in my shed,I'd better donate them for his rebuild,

Aahh...Dirty Hustler...Hhmmm...My 460 with rumpety cam, add a John Kasse hemi heads kit,ol' direct shift toploader,9" with Spool.Couple of extra radiators...Bonetted,Track nosed,Nerf bars,Cage,Wings. :eek:

An idea with potential perhaps,lets see ;) Anybody know of a cheap Glass Repros 23 shell an' tray kit out there?
The Rodding bug NEVER lets up does it? :D

Ralph
02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
At Champion Dragway. From a Super 8 movie.
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h479/ralphsmith1/murray.jpg

Hustler
02-25-2011, 02:48 PM
G'day Ralph,I've heard of some movies of the early days,never seen any my ol' car in action though,I was always at the wheel.

Alongside Allan in the Chadwick Bros Blown SB Jeep.
Still got the rear rims in m' shed,ugly roll cage became work bench legs.
Recycled...Enviro friendly rodder here. :)

Ralph
02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjQjq7-yudQ

Admin
02-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Priceless.....history comes to life again....thanks for posting that Ralph

Hustler
03-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks Ralph,I remember the "bounce on take off kick".The fix for the bouncing was a pair of front shocks [well used] off a Chrysler Imperial [early 50s model] added to the rear to tighten things up a bit. Worked a treat, two shocks on each side at the back.Changed from 4.11:1s to 4.56:1s, swapped out the 28x10s for 30x12s and it just kept getting quicker. :)

The early years were great,everyone able seemed willing to lend a hand.
A brotherhood, was all about SPEED!
Fellow competitors offering parts [tyres,carbs,diff gears] to maybe make a car a bit quicker. Do they still do that?

PS That Stock 429 CJ iron motor sounded a bit lazy eh.