PDA

View Full Version : Russ Clark

Admin
02-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Russ Clarke at Hamilton Show 1973. Photo by Warren Houston.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/070_REEL1.jpg

scumdog
02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
It was on the poster with Stormbringer and three other buckets (dang this faulty memory!),

SimonSez
02-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Think this one is mis-identified.

BT34 posted this pic on another thread that shows the rear and it looks like it is the Dick Woods "Keep on Trunkin" bucket (as Prognini suggested originally) as it has the same plate.

Admin
02-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Ok...will need to do a bit more homework

SimonSez
02-10-2011, 08:39 AM
I think there is a picture of it in August 1974 magazine if you have one handy ;)

Ok...will need to do a bit more homework

Admin
02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks Simon Sez....I checked Aug '74 mag...couldn't see it...what page #

Found the original feature in May 1970 mag.....Then owned by Russ Clarke

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/IMG_9841.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/IMG_9842.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/IMG_9843.jpg

I think we're possibly all talking about the same car here....maybe Russ Clarke sold it to Dick Woods?...Zeke would know!
I do remember it at Taupo with the Keep on Trunkin lettering on the back....and also the name Peter Jones rings a bell with me too...perhaps a later owner?

SimonSez
02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I am just going from memory on August 74 issue, but I have a mental picture of a small picture of the lettering on the back in some rod-run coverage around that time.

I think you could be right about it being the same car, they both have FE's and the headers, rollbar and headlight mounts look the same.

ForEverFour
02-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I am just going from memory on August 74 issue, but I have a mental picture of a small picture of the lettering on the back in some rod-run coverage around that time.

I think you could be right about it being the same car, they both have FE's and the headers, rollbar and headlight mounts look the same.

What is interesting is that the pic of it in red has two chrome door hinges. Everything else is identical so its gotta be that car.

ForEverFour
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Just emailed Paul Servantie the hot rod historian!

Did Dick Woods buy the Russ Clarke T

"Yep, “keep on trunkin”. Peter Jones had it as well before he built his orange 32 roadster. I have some photos of the T bucket at the drags when the rear end fell out, mid/late ‘70s. Tricky Dickie that’s a name from the past. Good mates with Paul ??? from Havelock North & John Evans. All went to Aussie!!!!!"

SimonSez
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok, my memory has kicked in now - try January '74.

Thanks Simon Sez....I checked Aug '74 mag...couldn't see it...what page #

prognini
02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Just emailed Paul Servantie the hot rod historian!

Did Dick Woods buy the Russ Clarke T

"Yep, “keep on trunkin”. Peter Jones had it as well before he built his orange 32 roadster. I have some photos of the T bucket at the drags when the rear end fell out, mid/late ‘70s. Tricky Dickie that’s a name from the past. Good mates with Paul ??? from Havelock North & John Evans. All went to Aussie!!!!!"

I remember the day at the drags,,when the arse end fell out,,I always thought that it was the roadster the diff fell out of..Sideways step here...didnt Dave Sowerby buy that roadster??Then maybe John Della Mura?? :confused:
Yeah,I know...go back to work..thats what happens when ya get into the office.... :D

Admin
02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
At New Plymouth Rodders Run Labour Weekend 1974...now wearing a brace of Webers on a cross-ram intake, plus new headers and rear ladder bars (agricultural) ....not sure of owner at the time. Photo by Paul Grace.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/nzhotrod/NZHRM%20Sub%20Album/RussClake.jpg

Paintslut
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
AND.....its third different rego plate??!!!!

Maybe just the usual old hot rodder trick of swapping daily driver rego on to the rod for the weekend??!!

prognini
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
That was probably Peter Jones..I know the Nichols bros used to come down to rod runs in New Plymouth..,,and Pete used to hang with them...I remember the bucket out in the back paddock at Nichols place,doing donuts in the long grass,with those big feet on it.. :D I do remember the webers,and the high 12s it was cutting back then,on the strip.. :cool:

Nominal
02-10-2011, 10:27 PM
That last colour pic is with a different engine too I think, more like an SBC?

H.B.
02-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah - I went to Taupo run one year with Dick in it and spent most of the weekend fixing a blown gearbox after a proper skid !!!

SimonSez
02-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Dug out the January '74 issue yesterday and found the pic I was thinking of on p16.

It is from the '73 Street Nationals in Taupo and has the caption:

"Keep on truckin? No, look again. "Keep on Trunkin" is what the sign says. Yeah, there's no trunk either but we guess the meaning is something we dare not put into print. T is the ex Russ Clark, owned by Dick Woods, repainted and rewhooped. Bound to be as spectacular at the drags as his mustang"

Ok, my memory has kicked in now - try January '74.