PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Licencing Reform Wofs and Regos

CoopDevil
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
A few nights ago I went to an MTA meeting on the Vehicle Licencing Reform that is under way. The govt has started calling on industry groups for their opinions on the current vehicle licencing system and how it could be improved to save money and retain safety standards.

Some ideas that have been put around are longer inspection periods(some with a more through(tuff) inspection), shifting the ACC component of rego charges to a tax on fuel or to compulsary insurance premiums or as part of the wof cost-with one sticker for wof/rego.

I would like to see the NZHRA represent hotrodders so we get a say with the govt on this important subject.

Of course we would not want to see an extra tax on fuel, as this is a bit unfair on our gas guzzlers. I would like to see a compulsary insurance programme with the acc paid in the premium. Premiums could be set on these parameters, a vintage/hotrod premium (like the current 40yr system but for all hotrod/vintage reguardless of year of first rego year(clearing up the current unfair system to newer or non papered old rods)) a greater premium based on demerit points-more demerit points=greater saftey risks=higher premium, mileage usage per year, and the usual full/3rd party premium based on the value/repair costs.

The compulsary insurance thing will also help this current problem of having to go to court to claim expenses from an uninsured driver and then getting them paid at $5 aweek crap.

Also most rods probably only need a yearly wof inspection for the milage and standard of owner maintenance performed on them.(England has recently passed law that all over 40s vehicles dont have to have a wof cos they are so well maintained.

I hope the NZHRA will get on to this promptly, their is already groups involving everyone from tyre companies to aftermarket auto parts suppliers working on their opinoins to put to the govt.

Rodbolt
07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Of course we would not want to see an extra tax on fuel, as this is a bit unfair on our gas guzzlers. I would like to see a compulsary insurance programme with the acc paid in the premium. Premiums could be set on these parameters, a vintage/hotrod premium (like the current 40yr system but for all hotrod/vintage reguardless of year of first rego year(clearing up the current unfair system to newer or non papered old rods)) a greater premium based on demerit points-more demerit points=greater saftey risks=higher premium, mileage usage per year, and the usual full/3rd party premium based on the value/repair costs.

We already pay an ACC premium as part of the rego fee. You will only see a pro rata'd basis for ACC type insurance if the system goes private, which is a good idea. The insurance could be part of the driver licence cost. Together with compulsory 3rd party insurance if no other insurance carried. As you say, accident prone driver = higher compulsory 3rd party insurance. Recidivist alcoholic drunk driver or suspended licence = uninsurable so no drive. Wouldn't Tariana Turia and Susie Bradford love that, far too fair for the poor beneficiaries, I can hear the howls now.

Nominal
07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Related column by Gareth Morgan on M/C ACC charges.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10818457

If a system like this was set up, it could easily apply to car licenses as well. Unlikely to happen though.

CoopDevil
07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Btt,
I read that the public submissions will come up in september, so get your thinking caps on and pen to paper/fingers to keyboards

35Desoto
09-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Any further updates?

LIFESTYLZ
09-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I can't see how compulsory insurance will stop the claims going to court.
Those people don't now/won't ever get insurance or licences or give a damn.

Stic
10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I can't see how compulsory insurance will stop the claims going to court.
Those people don't now/won't ever get insurance or licences or give a damn.

That's what PRISONS are for...

Stic
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Related column by Gareth Morgan on M/C ACC charges.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10818457

If a system like this was set up, it could easily apply to car licenses as well. Unlikely to happen though.

"In fact research we've done at the Motorcycle Safety Advisory Council indicates that the risk of serious and expensive injury on a motorcycle is around 45 times higher per person-kilometre travelled as it is for occupants of other vehicles."

Well, there's the first clue...Ban motorbikes or tax them out of existence...

I mean, if it's ok for smoking....

LIFESTYLZ
10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
That's what PRISONS are for...

No mate.
Prisons are for housing those who are too lazy to acquire their
dollars by getting a job.
The prison supplies accommodation and a lifestyle many strive for.:D

KUZTOM
10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
How does the Aussie system work , from what I hear its ok , not talking about Hot Rods , no inspections , but rego is dearer i know .
Interesting about the UK , cause they were thinking a while back , old cars would be banned.
The insurance thing has to be put in place .

Rodbolt
10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I see the MTA frantically trying to defend their depredations on the NZ motoring public in the press.
The fact is that the WOF system has been used as a licence to create work for many years and now the sweet time looks like being over the howls have started.
I fail to see how any mechanical failure related accidents could ever be averted by an inspection by an uneducated english-as-a-second-language refugee, which the workforce of the testing stations seem to be made up of.
If people want six monthly inspections of their cars they are free to take them to the local garage, nothing to stop them. Get fitted same as usual, just don't expect other people to be fitted as well.
The Brides Forester was failed by some Afghani at the local station, a perfectly good lower ball joint was replaced with the wrong item (taper shank was 3mm smaller and the thing clonked back and forth) by some flea at the local Super Shoppe and then the testing station passed it on re check by looking at the invoice. The sooner these pirates get the arse the better.
Electricians and Plumbers, for two trades, have a Registration Board to administer them, and Tradies have to pass a series of examinations and work evaluations over three to four years to be accorded Registration. Cowboys get reined in by disciplinary committees if public complaints are upheld. Not so for your WOF inspector, however, an equally important task from a safety point of view is being performed by people who cannot even speak and write english.

Nominal
10-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I heard a radio ad today that basically said that if the WOF goes to 1 year ALL YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE!

For f's sake!

scumdog
10-10-2012, 09:44 PM
I heard a radio ad today that basically said that if the WOF goes to 1 year ALL YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE!

For f's sake!

Yup, some Okker racecar driver sed it so it must be true!:eek:

CoopDevil
10-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I see the MTA frantically trying to defend their depredations on the NZ motoring public in the press.
The fact is that the WOF system has been used as a licence to create work for many years and now the sweet time looks like being over the howls have started.
I fail to see how any mechanical failure related accidents could ever be averted by an inspection by an uneducated english-as-a-second-language refugee, which the workforce of the testing stations seem to be made up of.
If people want six monthly inspections of their cars they are free to take them to the local garage, nothing to stop them. Get fitted same as usual, just don't expect other people to be fitted as well.
The Brides Forester was failed by some Afghani at the local station, a perfectly good lower ball joint was replaced with the wrong item (taper shank was 3mm smaller and the thing clonked back and forth) by some flea at the local Super Shoppe and then the testing station passed it on re check by looking at the invoice. The sooner these pirates get the arse the better.
Electricians and Plumbers, for two trades, have a Registration Board to administer them, and Tradies have to pass a series of examinations and work evaluations over three to four years to be accorded Registration. Cowboys get reined in by disciplinary committees if public complaints are upheld. Not so for your WOF inspector, however, an equally important task from a safety point of view is being performed by people who cannot even speak and write english.Rodbolt you dont seem to know shit!

If you knew shit you would know that 1-to get a wof inspectors certificate you have to have trade cert or proven 5yrs in the trade. 2-you have to go thru a police check. 3-you have to pass an exam both writtern and practical with an ltnz inspector. 4-you have to attend a training course every year. 5-the workshop and all its inspectors get audited anywhere between 3months(poor performing places) and 24 months (good places with no complaints or rule/paperwork breachs).

If a new system like aussie's comes in you will have some cop who may only know your tyres are bald checking your car for safety.

You also need to watch your racist comments I work in a workshop where all our wof inspectors are white NZ males in our 40s.

and if you have a complaint make it to LTNZ, they do deal swifty and harshly to inspectors and workshops that make stuff ups.

LIFESTYLZ
10-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Even with all that in place it sure doesn't stop dodgy warrants being issued does it.
After all, they are only workers like any other profession/trade who are there for their paycheck.

KUZTOM
10-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Rodbolt you dont seem to know shit!

If you knew shit you would know that 1-to get a wof inspectors certificate you have to have trade cert or proven 5yrs in the trade. 2-you have to go thru a police check. 3-you have to pass an exam both writtern and practical with an ltnz inspector. 4-you have to attend a training course every year. 5-the workshop and all its inspectors get audited anywhere between 3months(poor performing places) and 24 months (good places with no complaints or rule/paperwork breachs).

If a new system like aussie's comes in you will have some cop who may only know your tyres are bald checking your car for safety.

You also need to watch your racist comments I work in a workshop where all our wof inspectors are white NZ males in our 40s.

and if you have a complaint make it to LTNZ, they do deal swifty and harshly to inspectors and workshops that make stuff ups.

Ive has issues with 'Non New Zealanders' who know fuck all and actully make the whole WOF thing a bloody shambles at the end of the day . Shands Road , have ya seen the big idiots working there, its a joke to be honest.No,im not racist . just dont like eggs from other countrys telling me theres something wrong with my car / work truck when there isnt ! .

CoopDevil
10-11-2012, 09:31 PM
ha ha wont comment too much on shands road, i think maybe their inspectors go to AA run traning courses.

You should come by our workshop for your wof, save yourself 5-6 bucks;) we are near a well known exhaust shop not too far from shands road;)

scumdog
10-11-2012, 09:33 PM
No,im not racist . just dont like eggs from other countrys telling me theres something wrong with my car / work truck when there isnt ! .

Yeah, it's WAAAYY better when the 'egg' is a home-grown N.Z 100% Kiwi egg eh Steve!:p

KUZTOM
10-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, it's WAAAYY better when the 'egg' is a home-grown N.Z 100% Kiwi egg eh Steve!:p

.........to be honest ,never ever had a problem with a Kiwi WOF guy , a lot of these guys are not up to the job , dont care what test & shit they have to pass , that means nothing , or perhaps it does ? , perhaps the testing part is not up to scratch .
Bit like TAXI Drivers .

LIFESTYLZ
10-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I heard with the new WOF changes coming in that they are going to move the WOF checks off shore (china) .. you email them a pic of your car and they email you back a valid warrant. That's why MTA are upset. They don't have offices set up in China yet.:rolleyes:

KUZTOM
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I heard with the new WOF changes coming in that they are going to move the WOF checks off shore (china) .. you email them a pic of your car and they email you back a valid warrant. That's why MTA are upset. They don't have offices set up in China yet.:rolleyes:

Yeah they do , that MURPHS new venture !

CoopDevil
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
All in all it comes down to this you probably wont save a dime either way so...17423
...which one do you want to hand your money to?...the guy in the car will take more money and more inconveniance when he gives you a nice pink sticker and a fat fine:eek:

KUZTOM
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Simple realy , look after ya car and there shouldnt be a problem , or get a kick in ya wallet .The Aussie system woks or doesnt it , how many road deaths are related to unsafe cars ?

scumdog
10-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Simple realy , look after ya car and there shouldnt be a problem , or get a kick in ya wallet .The Aussie system woks or doesnt it , how many road deaths are related to unsafe cars ?

Dunno - but it would take the threat of roadside impoundment for defects before some of the bozos I deal with would sit up and do something about the condition of their car..

Conversation with owner of a 'modified' Starlet. ( too heavily cut springs, almost bald tyres, steering wheel wobbling everwhere etc)

"Your warrant ran out back in April"

"Aw man, that's like only six months out"

"But that means you haven't had a warrant check for a whole year'

"Aw yeah, I s'pose yer right..."

willy pelzers
10-13-2012, 07:15 AM
what gets me is when on motorway patrols TV show they show someone being pulled up with no reg, no wof, no insurance, bald tyres etc etc they green or pink sticker the car and let them drive off telling them to go straight home :eek:

most other countries the cars would only move from that spot on the back of a truck. here they just seem to wrtie out a screed of tickets which the recipients never pay anyway...go figure!!!

LIFESTYLZ
10-13-2012, 08:39 AM
I've seen plenty on that show end up on the back of a truck.