Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
LVVTA Certification - Page 2
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Cheers for the Justin, a good explanation of a the effects on I beam compared to tube. My roadster was certified in 2008, I built it to the book and had no issues with it going through.I fully support the certification system, it has got a lot of the dodgy crap off the road.
    Keep up the good work.

Grant Stables.
    Next weeks winning Lotto numbers required to finish Hombre!

I agree an excellent reply by Justin. LVVTA are doing a great job in often difficult circumstances.
    Now to get back to the original topic of this thread.
    The most common reoccurring issue with certification that I have experienced is the often different interpretation of the regulations by different certifiers. One will fail something that on another certified car has been passed, but fortunately there are processes in place where this issue can be raised with LVVTA for a definitive answer if you have no luck debating with your certifier.
    It's damn frustrating and annoying but it is human. Try to remember that the certifier who fails something is only trying to insure your vehicle is as safe as necessary for the protection of all of us.

Thanks Justin. I was using the wording as told to me within a day or two of the thread starting. It wasnt intended as an LVVTA beat up.
    I like shiney stuff.

Great reply Justin.

And different interpretations by LVV Certifiers isn't unique to OUR system.

Think about WOFs - a car can pass at one place, and will be failed by another. Happens every day...

Thanks very much for all the positive comments.

Lifestyles, to answer your question - and I see that three carb guy touched on this earlier in his post: "The most common reoccurring issue with certification that I have experienced is the often different interpretation of the regulations by different certifiers. One will fail something that on another certified car has been passed, but fortunately there are processes in place where this issue can be raised with LVVTA for a definitive answer if you have no luck debating with your certifier".

He was right on the money. If there's a need for a clarification (either for the benefit of the certifier, or as a clarification of a requirement as you're progressing through the build), we can help with providing a 'second opinion' or clarification for you. Sometimes we find that all that is needed is a clearer explanation of the requirements, or so that you can understand the need or justification for it to be applied. By going through this process it also sometimes provides a great coaching opportunity if the certifier wasn't quite correct with his decision.

Just keep in mind that the LVV Certification system is incredibly complex and diverse, and it'd be impossible for the certifiers (and us for that matter) to get it 100% right all the time. If you feel like you're getting caught up in all the confusion, give me a call.
    Live life hard, come home hungry. (And thirsty!)

Another thing which is causing a fair deal of frustration at the moment, especially in the greater Auckland region, is a lack of available LVV Certifiers. We've prepared this document to help explain the situation.

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/news/A...ation_2015.pdf
    Live life hard, come home hungry. (And thirsty!)

Even simpler explanation than Justin helpfully offered re the I beam vs Tube axle.

Because of the section, a round tube is very stiff in torsion. Tube of say 40mm dia is very stiff. Imagine a 40mm torsion bar, that would be a stiffy if ever there was.

Conversely, again because of section, an I beam is comparatively supple in torsion, while nice and stiff in the vertical plane. Imagine a piece of 50 X 3 flat, say 2m long. The ends can be twisted by hand through at least 15deg, yet in the vertical plane shes rigid.

If you ever see a Sprint Car or a Midget with a tube front axle, note there are two radius trail arms on the left side but only one on the right (or vicky vercoe) This is to minimise torsion effects on the front axle stiffening the car in roll.

P.S. Hey Justin, mate. Malleable ??? Colly Watson
    Honour is a man's gift to himself

Clive, you would be using a certifier from the Waikato area wouldn't you as the list Justin put up is for the greater Auckland area only I believe . That been said you fella's celebrated Auckland Anniversary weekend with us didn't you yet you live in the Waikato, what the hell is that about???

I am still waiting to be even booked in for my cert its so bizzy.

Everyone all over the world uses those 2 pictures