Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Want to build the Worlds fastest piston powered car ?
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Want to build the Worlds fastest piston powered car ?

Here is an excellent video clip of George Poteet's current contender. His credibility is very real having already logged 40 runs over 400 mph. The car details are extensive, you need to watch several times to hear them all. Note he has only ever run a single engine and usually in the 'B' engine displacement size (440 cubes) or smaller and in most cases the electronically controlled waste gates never fully close.

https://youtu.be/-t0RSBnNLyQ

Enjoy,
    Chris Harris.

Funny you should ask Chris, I'm just building the engine.
    Sid.

Actually he picked off out last standing record last year with an A-engine. We set the A/BFS record way back in 91 at 409 MPH.
    Sid.

Great video Sid.
    What sort of time could that motor do in a dragster over the quarter mile?

Sorry Ralph, obviously my statement was misleading. I don't build engines for George, they are built by Kenny Duttweiler.
    I was referring to my mission to be the fastest piston engine car. I'm about a month from being ready to do shakedown runs.
    My liner is 4WD with a smaller frontal area than any big streamliner has ever had & a lower coefficient of drag.
    My engine is a Keith Black super tall deck KB600 block (6 bolt Hemi bottom with a BBC style top) with a 4.750 Callies crank, 7.250 Carrillo rods, 4.650 bore, (638 cu in) Brodix dual plug heads, twin 129mm Garrett turbos, twin Electromotive crank trigger ECU's driving Moran EFI injectors. Cam is a custom billet roller to my spec running through T&D shaft rockers. I have a secondary fuel system with Hilborn injectors in the pressure box that I can fog in another 400 hp if 3200 hp isn't enough.
    Just a little Kiwi looking to out shoot the big guns.
    I was interested in taking a shot at being the first person to 500 mph but this morning at Bonneville Vesco's turbine powered Turbinator Streamliner went 503 mph exit speed.
    Sid.

Any photos of your build Sid?

I'm building in such a small space that it's just not possible to get back far enough to do any justice with a camera. When assembled it's 40ft long but I built the nose & tail sections removable so I could fit the whole mess corner to corner in the shop & still get around both ends. I'll take some pics & share them when it rolls out the door. That should have been by the end of this month as I was planning to make some shakedown runs on a lake bed in southern Utah. We just had & are still having a lot of rain that washed out Bonneville & quite possibly my test sight. I have some friends down that way who are going to eyeball it for me after all this shit blows over so I won't know until then.
    I'll send Paul some pics to post when it gets out of the nest.
    Sid.

I think we should start some kind of "give a little page" together (if some one knows how to do that") I'm sure there are plenty of Kiwis that would throw 20 bucks in to help you out Sid.
    It would bring a tear to your eye at the number people that would come up our pit at Silver Fern Racing and a ask us if we would accept $20 to help us out , as they wanted to root for the under-dog. We would put it towards fresh fuel or parts that couldn't other wise afford. Just send us some bloody pictures of you on the Salt !

I appreciate the gesture Golly.
    It's been a really tough road to go down & actually continue on all these years while it basically consumed my life. There have been lots of people who wanted to get involved but never did. I built the Bellytank in two years expecting it to fill my need for speed but all that did was light a bigger fire under my arse. There have been plenty of times that I didn't want to do this any more but I'd take a breath & keep looking at it as lots of smaller projects to keep my sanity, although that might be debatable. Kinda like eating a whale, one bite at a time.
    It's been rewarding to see color in the final assembly, it's put a new spring in my step.
    I'll see what I can do to get some partial pictures when I get a chance to move some shit around. I've got ten lbs of shit in a five pound bag here!
    Sid.

Pic's are always good no matter how good or bad they are. Just post'm.
    WANTED: 2 if possible old 50's style demisters.
    Chrome and with the suction cups.