Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Has Anyone Done This Drive?
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 

Default Has Anyone Done This Drive?

Has anyone driven from Las Vegas to Palm Springs? You turn off south of Primm and eventually end up at Twenty Nine Palms and Joshua Tree before reaching Desert Hot Springs and Palm Springs. Google maps says 4 hours drive but if you look on Google Earth there is absolutely nothing between Primm and Twenty Nine Palms except desert. A scary thought if you broke down as it is not exactly a main route and looks to be a road and not a freeway.
    Second question. Who has stayed in Death Valley National Park? Accomodation is limited, expensive, and is it just another desert and not worth the trip?
    Any feedback is appreciated.

You are correct BT That whole area, Palm Springs, Needles, Primm, Mojave, etc just desert and tumbleweeds. Amusing for a couple of hours , then that's it!
    I've driven thru Death Valley in the Fall. It was only 54 degrees C. I don't think the Hotel/gas station is open in the summer as it's too f.....'n hot for anything. I'd fly.

Hi, I've done that on my Fatboy a few years ago. And again via a different route last year in November in a mustang rental.

As far as staying in the desert I stayed in Panamint springs (Nov 2016) for a few nights in one of their cabins, which was awesome, it was basically brand new and clean and tidy, wasnt expensive from memory (I know some of the other locations offer posh accommodation at a premium price.) Its quite incredible out there at night, everything is so still and the stars are really cool, temperature was freezing cold at night. The bar across the road has about ~300 different types of beer (no exaggeration) There was a lot of really negative reviews on the place so your mileage may vary, but my experience there was A1 (I suspect the negative reviews were relating to the camping side of things...

I quite enjoyed the drive between Vegas and death Valley (more than LA-Vegas), took a few of the off highway routes to keep it interesting. Do be careful if you are planning on doing it in summer don't underestimate it, it is a real desert!

You can check out some photos etc on my blog if you want, I put some photos up so my family can see what I've been up to since I don't have facebook etc. But it may be interesting for you if you were planning to go.
    https://lofiusa.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys for responding. Golly this is a road trip with a group of eight so flying is not an option but a great idea. We were stuck in an accident on the 40 an hour out of Needles during July a couple of years ago and the heat and almost running out of water has always made me nervous going through the desert ever since. I will go with the longer but busier route back to Barstow then cut back down to Lucerne and onto Joshua Tree then Palm Springs.

That is a very good blog with some excellent photos. I have scrolled about half way down but will definitely go to the end when I get a spare moment. I wish I was that computer savy with blogs and uploading videos etc.