Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
RIP Kevin "Manwell" Stevens.
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 

Default RIP Kevin "Manwell" Stevens.

I received a text this morning from my son who said that Manwell had passed away over night.....he found out via Facebook as you do these days. I couldn't believe it as he was born sometime in the early 60's which makes him a little younger than myself. And he was in fine form on the Saturday night of this years Nostalgia Drags as a few people will verify or possibly remember.
    I have placed this in Leading lights as it is the most appropriate place to acknowledge Manwell. Kevin will go in in history as the voice of Meremere. He was witty, full of knowledge and a brilliant public speaker. His knowledge of racers, their cars, previous achievements and drag racing statistics is outstanding. If there was an oil down he did his best to keep us entertained. He seemed to be the most appropriate person to do prize givings or presentations and did a fine job.
    Drag racers will remember and appreciate his iconic broadcasts. You only need to ask the Marsh's. At the other end of the scale when my son was competing at the Nostalgia's this year in our FED we broke out. Manwell announces that we have won the race but have gone too fast. But we shouldn't be too disappointed because I think it is probably a personal best. No, we weren't disappointed because it was a PB. However, I thought the only people who knew we had run a PB was my son and myself. Such was his knowledge.
    But the words which will personally ring in my ears was from a couple of years prior. More good luck than expertise we seemed to get through the eliminations and Manwell announces " Brad Taylor you have just dodged another bullet". Never a true word.
    Manwell, you will be sadly missed and you have left some very big boots to fill. You were a leading light in the drag racing and hot rod community.On behalf of the Taylor family we thank you for the entertainment and brilliant commentry. RIP.

Yes I just read that to. Very Sad. Manwell was allways one to ask how things were going , enjoying the day (usually at Meremere) or just say Hi in passing. Did a great job commentating at the track , which is not an easy job to remain interesting for minutes on end when there's not a lot of action. Prizegivings were always a laugh. He will be sadly missed in the upcomings seasons for sure RIP