Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

1972/68 c10
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972/68 c10

Default 1972/68 c10

1972 C10 with a 1968 front clip.
    6.2ltr LS3, 6 speed (6l80e)
    IFS front and 4 link rear
    9"
    RHD conversion

Spent the last 6 weeks working solidly on it so I'm well in to my build now. Have a forced Hiatus for the next few months at least.

This forum is pretty quiet, is there any interest in me adding pictures etc? if not I wont bother but happy to if people want to see.

I would be interested
    Kind Regards

Peter Gough
    Melbourne Australia

I'm keen for some pics ....also wonder why the RHD?

OK cool. I'll get some pictures together.

Why RHD? Well at first I just liked the idea of being easy to drive, overtake etc when I get it back to NZ. I also wanted to swap it to a Rack and Pinion setup.
    I know its a personal thing and many people like to keep them LHD...
    Once I had removed all the front and rear suspension etc there really wasn't much of the truck left, I thought why not do the steering conversion? The dash looked like it would mirror quite well.
    Turns out it didn't fit anywhere near as easily as I thought it would. Also the steering linkage has been a b1tch but I'm probably through 95% of the steering issues now.

Same sort of non-logic applied to the Transmission, everyone said 4l80e is the best option for fit etc but I liked the idea of the 6spd 6l80e and then my donor motor came with a 6l80e so now I'm working through sorting that... Ive cut the old trans hump and found a high hump for it; biggest issue is probably going to be driveshaft clearance on the old trailing arm crossmember etc

OK, kinda makes sense. re: driveshaft clearances, maybe a 2 piece will help?

Yeh, I've been considering just making a new cross member with more clearance or converting it to a 2 piece shaft.
    The 2 piece could be good because I've ended up with fixed universals on each end (so no where for drive shaft to move)

I'll probably just modify the cross member & get a driveshaft made with 2 1350 U-joints & a built in slip section like this:

Although I don't know if this style is able to be certified in NZ? If anyone knows anything about that please let me know.
    Thanks

I'm struggling to find time to do this so I'll just post a bit at a time
    Before starting this project I was considering putting a 2000+ chassis and running gear under a old body, full custom Chassis, or upgrading the factory frame and components. I went for the last option.

The truck I found actually had a disc brake frontend, new shocks, and factory trailing arms in the rear, but I started ripping it out, to make way for coil-overs a custom IFS and a 4 bar in the back

Its pretty neat how the old front crossmember just unbolts, makes it easy.

Test fitting the new crossmember:

I got everything painted up and the front end bolted in to place:

Thats a Unisteer RHD Rack and Pinion in there.

Then built up the Ridetech HQ coil-overs and Wilwood brakes, I went with 13" drilled and slotted rotors and drop spindles:

Cool thing about these trucks is the low hump trans tunnel can easily be chopped out and replaced with a factory high hump, cut along the pre formed lines and drill and bolt the high hump in:

Firewall cutting and shaving time:

Factory high hump in the cab in background

Ordered a factory LHD strengthening plate (from LMC truck), chopped, drilled and reshaped to size and fit for the right hand side ready to rosette/spot weld:

That should restore the strength and stop it from flexing.

I see in the truck build sheet it has hydra-boost which I find a little unusual , as I thought they only came on the diesels. Lucky for you though, keep it ! you'll have dynamite brakes.

I didnt get the booster with it... I have a pedal bracket that turns the booster so it will mount inside the cab and keep the firewall clean, I'll use that if I can get it to fit!

Work on the dash:

This isn't how it looks now, ended up pulling the right side back out and redoing it. but I dont have a better picture

I'm really happy with it now but it was a tough job with the different angles involved.