Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Want to build the Worlds fastest piston powered car ? - Page 3
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Why two oil heaters?
    We use an external oil heater on our TA/FC.

The likelihood of running in near freezing conditions is high, either late in the season at Bonneville or at 13k ft in Bolivia. The engine is totally buried in the car & would mean pulling the lower access panel to get to a failed heater then draining the oil to change it. The pan is aluminium but there's no room for a stick-on so I have screw-in style & two heaters just gives me a backup.
    I'm over half way there, the pan rail, upper skirt, windage screen & lower section is done. Living in the boonies it's quicker to machine the fittings myself than buy them & wait 3 to 5 days for delivery & they are close to being finished.
    I've been trying to go to work less but I have regular customers that I really can't turn down. Working on the liner till late-ish then having one leg in bed by midnight & the phone goes off & I finally get to bed about sunrise. That shit kicks my old ass for the next day but I have to pay for this shit somehow. I sure never thought I'd be working this hard at this age!
    Sid.

Well, the pressure is off. The rain & snow has arrived so that's the end of getting a shakedown until May or June next year. I'm not surprised but I was hopeful.
    I'm going to leave it alone for a few days & take a breath.
    Enjoy your summer down there, I'll be lying in the snow fixing broken semi's for a few months & trying not to get run down by crazy winter drivers.
    Sid.

Thanks for the updates Sid. Take care over the winter and I hope that the salt is as good as this year for you next year.