Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
NZ Oldest Muscle Car - Page 3
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Mussel in NZ

Did you mean the earliest in NZ? ...that would have to have been the '62 Dodge polara two door hardtop with 383 that the Todd Family owned.A genny muscle car,though not quite in the league of the Superstock 413 and 426 max wedge of the same year.And I know no one ever bought one of those in back in the day.
    Brian Bowater raced one at meremere in the early 70's,and to my mind those early "B body" mopars are the best looking cars they ever built.
    Gail Prasts car,last owned by Gunna Horne ,was a '59 impala wasn't it? at least it was when I last saw it in '74.Although it may have raced with a 409 it probably started life with a 348.
    Chevs and Fords never built real muscle cars ,they just tagged along to give mother Mopar company...witness the many early mopars still doing the deed today on the US drag strips,from Hemis to slant sixes(! !) and not too many Fords or Chevies to be seen.....the first factory Muscle cars had to be the 300 C Chryslers,as raced by the Flock brothers for Karl Kiekafer on Daytona beach,
    while ford had the flattie and Chev had the lucky dipper....even Hudson had faster cars with the "step down "Hornets.

".....sorry to sound nieve but would a shelby cobra come into the muscle class?
    just love those cobras(not so old tho are they)..."
    They are old alright,Originally called the "AC ace" with AC's own prewar engine then with a Bristol engine then a Zephyr engine (yeah!!). The Cobra was a markerting exercise concocted by Shelby with fords Blessing. and Yes!,There was one in Auckland,A guy (who i won't name in case he is still with us,) bought one in from the US and promptly wrote it off,the engine turned up in a speed boat
    Last edited by Mercmad; 01-26-2006 at 02:37 AM.

The Mk 4 Zephyr with the aircraft engine was across the back fence from my Uncle in Leamington, Cambridge. Had a gander at it as a young fella, never heard it run though.

There's no real way to find out is there any more?
    Wouldn't mind knowing if my Challenger is the first in New Zealand.

Would definitely be the first 3. August 1971 was when it was first registered.

My Uncle built a building on the corner of Great south road in Hunters corner in Auckland,around that time and the owner of the building had a new Challenger,I can't remember now if it was a big block or not.It was dark mettalic green with a vynyl top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercmad
    My Uncle built a building on the corner of Great south road in Hunters corner in Auckland,around that time and the owner of the building had a new Challenger,I can't remember now if it was a big block or not.It was dark mettalic green with a vynyl top.

Wasn't blue with a vinyl top was it? Close in color so maybe you got the it wrong? Can you remember the owners name mate?

Cheers

It was 34 years ago.....I can't remember the name of the owner ,only that it was definately Green.
    Dads mate owned a car dealer ship in Khyber pass road at the time( Clarkes) and they used to import a hell of a lot of US muscle cars ,one I remembered in particualr was Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 428 ,with all sorts of contemporary speed gear on it.
    Also....a guy in Kaitaia had a Blue Mopar with a vynyl top in the late 70's early 80's..I can't remember his real name ,but i'm sure his nickname was Rocky Harris.
    He was also a dealer in locally grown herbal substances....
    And what ever happened to the Charger GTX that Des Kevin was racing for a While?.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisin' View Post
    On or around '68, there was a light blue (I think), MK4 Zephyr with a Fletcher aircraft engine in it!
    Someone must remember it.
    Was at the Bruntwood (Cambridge) standing and flying 1/4 type events that the Hamilton Car Club ran.
    Remember, this car was only a year or two old!!!!!
    Cheers,
    Cruisin'
    Car was built by Mike Ross from C&R Developments. I purchased it off Mike, sold the body (dumb,dumb n dumber). Motor & box are now back out at their Muscule Car Museum.
    WANTED: 2 if possible old 50's style demisters.
    Chrome and with the suction cups.

1973 in Palmy there was a red 429 Boss Mustang. I don't remember the owners name or if it was a 69 0r 70 but it was the real deal.
    Sid.