Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Individual Membership ?
New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine Subscribe Today and Save
    HOME
    FORUM 
    EVENTS 
    HISTORY 
    TECH 
    VIDEO 
    MEDIA 
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Individual Membership ?

Has there been any progress on this ?
    Is it still being spoken about ?
    Is there really enough people keen on this to warrent it ?
    Could this be managed and run effectively through a web-site, forum, E-zine type deal ?

I'm not trying to stir shit or upset anyone here, but I do believe it is a topic worthy of more open discussion.

Shrapnel

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy
    BRING IT ON! Please....
    That's "OH SO CONSTRUCTIVE" Nodz

Come-on mate ,,, How do you/we/us/nzhra do this apart from making it Open To All ?
    How do we control it ? for eg. If your a member of a club, you start doing burnouts in the middle of main street NZ in front of the public just for the hell of it, bringing the hobby into "disrepute" , you can (and it has been done) be kicked out of the club/affiliation (usually after being told "that sort of thing is not done") .
    How do You/We/Us/Affilitation control these "situations/people" ?

Come on ,,, I'm a great believer of "There's No Such Thing As A Silly Idea". What may seem to be a silly idea can often lead people down the track of what can be A Great Idea , and it often only takes "One Word".

We've all got nothing to lose by putting ideas forward, if in fact, IF this is whats wanted.

Keep It On Track , And Open To Others Idea's.

Shrapnel

Ahem, just fitting my flame suit.
    I know of more rodders or american car owners that have no intention of joining a hot rod club, but are willing members of email or text "clubs" which organise adhoc small events, runs or gatherings.
    It's this sector that could be drawn into NZHRA, but the only way to enable this is to provide some benefit or assurance that their needs would be represented by an oficially recognised body within the governmental lobby framework thereby protecting their hobby.
    Another incentive is by way of discount for gas, insurance or a loyalty card system.
    As far as the disreputable concern, this can be worked out in a way that can be agreed upon, using the probational period system that most clubs operate now.
    In my opinion, there is more to be gained by introducing it than not, and I have to admit to a change in that opinion, I once thought that there was nothing broke so why fix it.
    In our club, we have had more members join recently than ever, but I think that this suggests enthusiasm gained from attendance to the big events such as Americarna and Beach Hop and the lack of suitable forums to enjoy their new toys, so it's a rod club atm by default, but we have found that these members are invariably the most active.
    First you forget names, then you forget faces. Then you forget to pull up your zipper. It's worse when you forget to pull it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel
    and it often only takes "One Word".
    My "One Word" is the same as Noddys.

Bring it on........

Shrapnel
    Who notifies the club if one of their members is misbehaving?

A simple suggestion here but wouldn't that very same thing happen
    if an individual member misbehaves? ie NZHRA being the "club" and taking the call and dealing with it just as a club would..

Or is that really too simple?

Thumper ... Great Post . Dont stop there !

Lifestylz ... same as Nodz ! Hmmm You know you've something contructive to say !

Lifestylz ... I'm not sure who notifies tha club, usually word of mouth I guess. Example I Gave was just that,,, an example. BUT ,,, I do believe the last thing we would all want is whats been happening with the Fast 4 Guys & Gals, that being a bad few setting the wrong example and the rest of them recieving the negative press.
    At least with the club scene, there's a certian amount of meetings and discussion regarding new members no to mention a certian amount of educating as to why we have , Cert, Probation, How were scene in the eye of public, fender exemptions etc etc,,, its not just a case of "sign-up and your in" .

I dont know if it would be that simple !

Keep it up dude.

Cheers Shrapnel

Just my 2c - and to wind things up a bit.

How many members has the NZHRA kicked out for doing a skid in the past 5 years?

Is it the role of the NZHRA to kick members out for doing a skid? Because it brings Hot Rodding into disrepute? What if they were caught by the Cops doing a skid in their everyday Jappa? Would they be kicked out then?

What's next? If you get caught speeding by the Cops in your Hot Rod are you then kicked out of the NZHRA as well? Which is more serious - a static burnout in a quiet street or doing 120kph on the open road?

If a non-NZHRA person did a skid in their Hot Rod then how would the public now if they were NZHRA or not?

Let's take a wider look - a rugby club member gets into a punch up at the pub on a Friday night - not in club colours or anything. Are they banned by the NZ Rugby Union?

Thumper - YOU NAILED IT BUDDY! Excellent post and my sentiments exactly...

Nodz.

Here's a hypothetical situation...

What if a high profile convicted Boy Racer, who gained a lot of national publicity for being a hoon, brought a fenderless Hot Rod and applied to the NZHRA for a fender exemption?

Would the NZHRA grant him one? What does it take to NOT be granted one?

Be interesting to see how the NZHRA would act in this situation.

Thumpers comments that we (sorely) need a group working within the lobby framework to represent us to Government is right on the money. We don't have that now, and never have.

Another facet to consider is, should the NZHRA open membership, does that association have the resources to constitute an effective lobby group for car enthusiasts in general?

The answer lies in considering what it would take for the NZHRA to move to open membership. Now I haven't read the constitution of the NZHRA but its easy money betting that the constitution would need a major re-jig to encompass opening the membership. Changes to an incorporated society constitution generally require a substantial majority at an AGM, like 90% or so. That means the member clubs voting for something to their detriment, real or perceived, and that, folks, is just not going to happen.

So the answer is, no, the NZHRA does not have the resources to constitute an effective cross board lobby group. Its a Hot Rod association made up of member clubs of Hot Rodders and thats the way its going to stay. Not such a bad thing either.

We need a new vehicle but we won't get it by facelifting old Ma NZHRA, too many people like the old girl the way she is.
    Honour is a man's gift to himself